PDA

View Full Version : Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Extravaganza

Keith Outten
09-27-2003, 7:50 PM
The folks at Klingspor are sponsoring a woodworking show in Hickory North Carolina. Billed as the Greatest Woodworking Show in the Southeast it is their 3rd annual event at the Hickory Convention Center. The show runs from Friday October 17th to Saturday the 18th.

Here is the link to their web site;

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Extravaganza (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/2D9305FF/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=extra2003.htm)

Does anyone know if this is really a big event or is it just another show?

Mac McAtee
09-28-2003, 8:00 PM
Keith,
Mind you now this is just my opinion.

I have gone to all three of them. I will go to this one and already have put in for Friday off from my paying job to go.

It has been in the past a big sale for Klingspor. The first year they didn't do a very good job of hooking up their cash registers to what ever system they use to process orders. They ended up having to hand write every receipt for anything anyone purchased.

I guess an explanation is due here. The only money changing hands, with a few exceptions, is with Klingspor. They have about four or five sales points on the way out.

There are different manufacturers of products that set up trade show booths at the event. All of them are manufacturers that sell products through Klingspor. I do remember buying some finishing supplies directly from one of the exhibitors.

This kind of event is hard to come by in North Carolina. So, folks go. There is an event in Charlotte, that is much bigger. Ever so often, there is one in Greensboro or Winston-Salem that is bigger. None of them hold a candle to a real woodworking show.

The only exception to the above is the major trade show for the furniture industry. It was in Greensboro last year and I dearly hope it will be again. It is outstanding. You have to lie, cheat or misrepresent yourself, or be in the furniture industry to get in the door. (I won't tell you how I got in, but I am not in the furniture industry.) It is a wonder to behold. All geared to mass production but some of the names that the home woodworker will know are also represented. I came out of the last show with a "show special" on an 8" jointer that I had lusted after for several years.

We as woodworkers have to support folks like Klingspor or we will have nothing. Go, have fun, learn, spend a few bucks.
Regards,
Mac in Oak Ridge, NC

Keith Outten
09-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks Mac,

I appreciate the clarification on the show. I was trying to determine if this was a really big event and if so how many of our members would be attending. There is always the possibility of putting together a "Gathering" of our members and I am looking for a good show to attend this fall. I would like to be able to compare several tools I am thinking about purchasing for my workshop. Major woodworking shows are great for comparison shopping and it's always nice to meet our SMC members whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Mac McAtee
09-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Keith,
I would safely say that this event is not one where you will be able to look at very many different machinery manufacturers goods. Look in a Klingspor catalog and you will see which manufacturers have a chance of being in the event. Doesn't mean that if Klingspor sells their stuff that they will be there. Also, Klinspor will have a exhibit space of there own and be selling equipment with show special pricing and there may be a rep from an equipment manufacturer working their booth with the Klingspor folks. You wouldn't have much of a chance to do comparison shopping. But you may find a good price on the mfgs. that they do sell.

Bob Janka
09-29-2003, 1:50 PM
Thanks Mac,

I appreciate the clarification on the show. I was trying to determine if this was a really big event and if so how many of our members would be attending. There is always the possibility of putting together a "Gathering" of our members and I am looking for a good show to attend this fall. I would like to be able to compare several tools I am thinking about purchasing for my workshop. Major woodworking shows are great for comparison shopping and it's always nice to meet our SMC members whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Keith,

I agree with Mac that this show is not likely to be in the same class as a major woodworking show. As he said, it is HARD to find ANY kind of WW show in the mid-Atlantic states.

If anyone does go, I'll be there morning & early afternoon Saturday (already have another engagement on Friday). Send me an e-mail or PM if you plan to be there. I'd be glad to meet up and say HI. If we get enough folks, maybe we all can grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Last year's show was good for me: I got the then-new PC 693 VS router kit (2 bases: plunge & lever-release fixed, a guide fence, & 2 collets) for a decent price. They had a "pumpkin" with discount coupons on the PC booth. You reached in & pulled out a coupon. Most were $5 off, some higher, and 1 special one was a large package deal worth thousands of dollars. I met David Propst who was doing a natural-edge bowl demo there.

Hope to see some fellow Creekers there!

Cheers,
Bob