PDA

View Full Version : I got wood....but what kind??

Al Willits
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
If this works there should be a few pictures of a chunk of wood I got from a friend, this is the guy with the Brazilian rosewood and we think it might be the same, but not sure.
I've run it though my jointer and planer and its a bit easier to see the grain now.

Anyway, this look like rosewood to you guys? Or? tia..

Al

Don Baer
08-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't know what it is but I like the figure. Send it out to me so I can get a better look....:D

Mike Null
08-02-2006, 4:36 AM
This resembles a wood I used for flooring. It's from Brazil and it's called Tigerwood by the vendor. I have a good bit of it left and I believe it is very similar to mahogany except for the coloring.

If it is the same it is hard like mahogany and somewhat brittle. The wood I have does not have the density of rosewood.

This wood will darken with age. But rather quickly. We were told to move furniture frequently for six months and not to use rugs for the same period.

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 8:17 AM
Don, apriceate the offer, but I wouldn't want to put ya out...so we'll keep it here and not clutter up your shop....:)

Mike, makes sense, it came on the same shipment that the Rosewood did (used for crating) but does look different than the Rosewood.
I/we don't have enough exprience to know what it is, but Tigerwood does seem to come closer than anything else.
Not sure what to do with it though, its about 1.25" thick 5.5" wide and 3 foot long.
Kinda pretty, maybe inlays or something??

Thanks all.

Al who's going though a Tung oil and inlay craze at the moment....but it might just be the heat.:)

Mark Singer
08-02-2006, 8:24 AM
It is either Goncalo Alves or it might be, yes Shlamaca:rolleyes:

http://www.cocoboloinc.com/alves.jpg

http://www.coffeedrome.com/images/lukebass/wood_goncalvo_alves.jpg

Ken Salisbury
08-02-2006, 9:21 AM
Definetly Goncalo Alves

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
""""""
Definetly Goncalo Alves
""""""""""

So its not Tigerwood?
And what is Goncalo Alves and what do you use it for??

Al

ok..at work comp finally let me though here's what I found, any suggestions for this chunk of wood?
Guy next to me says maybe cribbage boards??

Among the most outstanding and attractive woods, goncalo alves is highly prized for its outstanding beauty. It is used for fine furniture and cabinetry, carving, turnery such as bowls and trays, specialty items such as knife handles, brush backs, and archery bows, and for decorative and figured veneers.

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 2:31 PM
You guys think this wood would work for a veneer?
Thinking of cutting it on the bandsaw into maybe 1/8" thick strips and using it for the center panels on a small cabinet???

Might look nice if I matched the light edges of the grain together like a butterfly?

Al this hobby would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing....:D

Jim Tobias
08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
It looks like koa to me. The curly koa venner that I have iused looks almost identical to the first 2 pictures.

Jim

Barry Stratton
08-03-2006, 2:37 AM
Goncalo alves and Tigerwood are one and the same!

Cut that puppy up at a 45 degree angle and sell the resulting pen blanks for $1 to $2 each!!! Or buy a lathe and turn the pens yourself. The abyss is a warm, peaceful place.

Al Willits
08-03-2006, 9:07 AM
Pens?
That requires a lathe don't it??
I did bring that up to the little shebeast and her response was....buy a bic...me thinks a lathe is not in the immediate future, especially after spending all I have on wood working tools this summer...:)

I really haven't got to the lathe stage yet, learning curve with what I have is keeping me more than busy enough.
Also I'd rather not sell it, be nice to make something out of the wood, even if its just cribbage boards.

Thanks for the info all.

Al

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Looks like the Gonco Alves bottle stopper blanks that I have.

corey

Tom Sherman
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Al just sell the rest of your tools when you start turning they won't see much use anyway, you could use the money to finance the spinny thing.;)

Al Willits
08-04-2006, 8:51 AM
Al just sell the rest of your tools when you start turning they won't see much use anyway, you could use the money to finance the spinny thing.;)

Ah...nice try, you got my neighbor Tyler sucked into your demented sub hobby, but I ain't ready to fall for it .... yet ...:)

Actually the flat boards have taken all my intrest now, and a lathe may be in my future, but not for awhile, looks like fun though.

Kinda fun having a chunk of wood and trying to figure what to do with it, I'm planning on putting it away till I have the ability to actually build something with it, so I'll have pleanty of time.

Al