PDA

View Full Version : Lions Club International line art or vector

Dean Flannery
08-01-2006, 6:47 PM
Hi folks,

Does any know where I can get a decent line art or vector of the Lions Club International logo to laser on anodized aluminum ?

Thanks, Dean

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2006, 7:18 PM
Is this the one? I have a few versions, use them for sponsorship banners.
It's an eps zipped.

Mike Null
08-01-2006, 8:55 PM
Here's another. CDR v.11

Dean Flannery
08-02-2006, 3:13 PM
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. Dean

Jeff Lehman
08-02-2006, 3:16 PM
Dean...I am a Lion's Club member and do work for our chapter. Just a word of caution about the copyright thing, Lions Club International is very watchful for non licensed items. They sell a lot of things (overpriced) on their website. I wouldn't worry about local stuff, but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2006, 4:00 PM
Good point Jeff. I thought of that but it doesn't seem likely that he's going to market Lions Club logo keychains on the internet, most likely it's a job for the local chapter. This might be a good reminder though that if someone walks in and asks for the Harley Davidson Logo engraved on the back of their husband's leather jacket, or the Coke logo engraved on an acrylic mirror for their son's birthday, you have to pass, or can get sued for copyright infringement. People will say "I won't tell anyone where I got it". The chance of getting caught on that sort of thing is low, unless you do market products with unlicensed logos, but it's still unethical and not worth the risk.

Dave Jones
08-02-2006, 5:14 PM
There is some organization I read about, I can't remember who (maybe VFW?), where even the local chapters are not allowed to have items engraved locally with the logo unless they first get written permission from the head office (on a case by case, item by item basis). I think it's because the head office charges a fee to anyone printing the logo, even when it's being printed for a local chapter.

... and asks for the Harley Davidson Logo engraved on the back of their husband's leather jacket

You can't even do that for the local Harley dealer. :eek:

Mike Null
08-02-2006, 5:48 PM
It's not always fee related. Logos are the property of the headquarters entity and are rightfully carefully protected. I reproduce a lot of logos but always with valid authorization.

Even with the federal govt. you technically need approval to use the various military logos. I've never been turned down but if you got hold of a hot item and didn't have approval I suspect there would be a hairy issue.

In the case of the Lions Club, local chapters have the authorization to use the logo for awards, etc. I do a substantial part of my business with sororities, specifically, national headquarters. And here there is a fee issue but they are also protective of their logo and don't want it mis-used.

In the engraving business there's a big controversy as to whether you can make shop samples using "unauthorized" logos. I do because I'm not selling them but others are very reluctant even to do that.

Dave Jones
08-02-2006, 6:18 PM
Technically you can violate trademark laws even without selling the samples, though chances of litigation are small. But Disney did go after a daycare center that painted the Mickey Mouse logo on their wall.

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2006, 6:33 PM
That's true, too. Theoretically to do a "sale" sign for the Harley dealer with
the logo on it I should be provided with written permission from them. In reality though, a dealer is represents the company and therefore is considered by most of us as having permission since they asked for it. H.D. may be a bad example because they actually tried to copyright the sound of the exhaust.

Brent Vander Weil
08-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey at one time I worked for a business that was named Cars R Us and Toys R Us came a knocking out here in the cornfield... LOL

Joe Pelonio
08-03-2006, 8:40 AM
It's sort of a gray area when it comes to "personal use". Using a logo as a sample at the shop is not selling it, but could make you money if people see it and are impressed with your work. It's just not very likely that someone representing a fortune 500 corporate office would ever step into my shop and see it, much less prosecute. I could be in trouble though, if I used it in advertising. Mickey Mouse painted on the wall at a day care center is clearly using that copyrighted material for financial gain since it is used in the business to entertain the "clients." They would be better off buying a licensed poster and mounting it on the wall.

John Minton
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I have a customer who designs kitchens for hotels. He had the chance to quote Disney for one of their hotels. He thought it would look nice to add Mickey & Minnie to his quote to Disney.

Two days later he got a call from a Disney lawyer. He told him not to do it again and that Disney did not want to own his company.

John

Pat Kearney
08-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Learned it in a marketing class one time that a company actually has the legal obligation to protect it's name and other copyright/trademark information from becoming "generic" or they could risk losing rights to it. For example I believe it was Thermos and/or Xerox that were actually very close to losing the copyright of their name as it had become generic. If I recall correctly they were given a period of time by a judge to make the public aware that their name was theirs and theirs alone and that even using the name to refer to other products made by other manufacturers was not permitted.

Just another "useless piece" of information from Marketing class (a few moons ago) that I thought I would never use again. Funny thing is I have since used so much info from that class! :rolleyes:

Mike Null
08-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Not to prolong this but my recollection was that it was Kleenex and Formica.

Having spent many years as a marketing person with a very large consumer products group I can say with some certainty that in most cases, dealers for a brand or manufacturer are encouraged to use the logo for marketing purposes.

Most companies go so far as to provide instructions and various applications of the logos which are permissible. We provided back and white art as well as color with pms colors listed to all dealers and distributors. Common practice among consumer products companies.

But I can understand the Disney situation.

Dave Jones
08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
A radio DJ told me once that they did ads for Kleenex on the air and were ordered by Kleenex to never use the name as a noun ("reach for a Kleenex") they have to always say things like "reach for a Kleenex facial tissue".