PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Shop Fox/Grizzly Jointer

Jeffrey Schronce
08-01-2006, 6:24 PM
I picked up Shop Fox W1741 3HP jointer. Calls for 220V 20A service and recommends L6-20P. Please review what I have done regarding wiring and advise any problems I may have. Thanks!
I turned off 200A service in main panel. I turned off 100A breaker that goes to detached shop. In the shop I turned off the 100A main breaker. I installed neutral to neutral bar, ground to ground and black to back of single pole 20A Murray breaker. It is snapped in to the right side bar.
The 12/2 wire runs 25 ft to the outlet which is a metal outlet box. It contains the Cooper L6-20R. It has a metal plate over it. Bare wire was attached to green. White and black were attached to what I believe is their respective poles.
L6-20P was attached to jointer power cord per instructions.
Power up.
Red stop light on controler is on. I turn the button and light goes off. I push the green button and the light comes on but the button will not stay in. There is a buzzing sound from the motor. No turning cutter head or anything.
Turn off 20A breaker. Unplug machine.
Read manual. Note sympton "Motor Will Not Start" - #2 Press "Reset" button on the thermal overload relay, located inside magnetic switch. I open box, locate "button" and push it.
Turn on 20A breaker. Plug in machine.
Same results.
Motor turns freely by hand with no resistence.
Any advice?

Chuck Wintle
08-01-2006, 6:31 PM
Is it possible you wired it for 110 volt?

Greg Sznajdruk
08-01-2006, 6:32 PM
Jeffrey:

I'm up here in Canada eh. So things may a a bit different. If your panel has interlaced bus bars you will need a double pole breaker. The 12/2 would connect to the two terminal screws. A quick check with a VOM will tell you if you 120 or 220 at the receptacle.

Greg

CPeter James
08-01-2006, 6:35 PM
You wired it for 110. For 220 two wires need to go to HOT terminals and there is no neutral, only a ground.

CPeter

Larry Cooke
08-01-2006, 6:36 PM
I installed neutral to neutral bar, ground to ground and black to back of single pole 20A Murray breaker.Jeffrey,

You're using a single pole breaker - this won't work. 220V circuit requires a double pole breaker. Also, you don't need or use the neutral line in a 220v circuit. You'll end up connecting the Black wire to one of the breaker poles and the white to the other. You should label or tape the white wire in red (not required but very advisable to do for future reference. Label both ends of this wire. The bare wire is your ground of course.

Larry

Chuck Hanger
08-01-2006, 6:39 PM
Jeff,
What you describe would be for 110.
You need a 220 breaker and proper wiring. Will leave it at that as the pro elecricians will lead you in the right direction.
Chuck

Jeffrey Schronce
08-01-2006, 6:43 PM
Thanks guys. I feel so darn stupid! But better safe than sorry I guess.
Thanks again!

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 6:57 PM
what the others have said. You need to get a 2 Pole breaker that has the bar connecting them together, they carry them at the borg. Take the white wire (mark it with some red Phase tape,also at the borg) on each end. Put the black on one pole of the breaker and the red marked white on the other pole and you'll be in business.