PDA

View Full Version : Drawer slides - user error or bad product?

Mike Grennier
02-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi all..

I'm making an entertainment center with two drawers on the bottom. I purchased two sets of full extension drawers slides from Home Depot. (Liberty is the brand name, I believe).

I can't get the slides to operate smoothly. I'm wondering if it's the quality of the slides or is it my 'abilities'?

The directions call for 1/2 inch of clearance on each side. I'm very close to that on both front and back - perhaps 1/16 off on one side but not too bad. When I try to slide the drawer back and forth, it either sticks very badly or it falls out of the slide...

My question - do I need to more finely tweak the dimensions (so they're EXACT) or will a better quality drawer slide allow for a little more wiggle room?
I've attached a picture of the work in progress.

Thanks in advance

Lee Schierer
02-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Check the mounting surface for your slides both on the drawer and on the caracase. One or both may be out of square. If the slides are not parallel to each other, they will bind and be hard to to operate.

Ted Shrader
02-24-2003, 2:35 PM
Mike -

I had the same problem with some ~30" wide drawers I made for built in shelves in a church pantry. Do what Lee suggests and check for square - one of the cabinets was a little bit wider in the back on one of the drawers. Fixed with shims. Another drawer was too narrrow by a little more than 1/32. Shims cured that, too.

I think better quality slides would have worked w/o shimming, but it is still better to get it right.

Good luck,
Ted

Bob Lasley
02-24-2003, 2:37 PM
Hi Mike,

If everything is square and parallel as Lee has suggested checking, that little 1/16" could be your culprit. If the gap is too wide, you can use shims. If it is too narrow, you may have to shave a little off the drawer. BTDT

Good luck,
Bob

Mitchell Trager
02-26-2003, 6:58 AM
This looks like a real nice ET. YOu mention "directions" so I assume you mean plans. If so, where did you find/get them. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks in advance...Mitch Trager

Von Bickley
02-26-2003, 2:27 PM
Mike,
Did you find out what the problem was? Has it been corrected and how? The last time I used drawer slide, my drawer was slightly undersized and I had to shim out the cabinet side with a small washer.
Let us know what you found...

Mike Grennier
02-26-2003, 9:58 PM
I've been out of town all week, so I haven't had a minute in the shop yet. I did think about this the whole plane ride and I think it must be out of square..

As soon as I know, I'll be sure to post the (hopefully) happy ending!

Von - thanks for asking. I appreciate it:)

Ron Meadows
02-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Mike,

I have had troubles with those slides. Both the cabinets and drawers were square and the slides still wouldn't operate. I bought 6 pair of slides and had to "swap" out 4 slides. If you find that your EC is square, then you may be having the same problem that I did.

When I went back to HD they allowed me to open the replacements to make sure that they slid correctly.

Ron