PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Journal Comments page

harry strasil
08-01-2006, 6:14 PM
Story moved to another thread at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41381

harry strasil
08-01-2006, 8:01 PM
story moved to another thread.

Joe Blankshain
08-01-2006, 8:04 PM
Please do, I love a good story with what appears to be a happy ending or continuation!

Geoff Harris
08-01-2006, 8:14 PM
I'm still waiting to hear more about what they were building in that shop. So yes do go on.

harry strasil
08-01-2006, 8:33 PM
story moved to another thread

Dick Bringhurst
08-01-2006, 9:50 PM
Yes, Please do. Dcik B.

Michael Cody
08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Should I continue this Journey?

H! yes... good stories are a delight to read, we don't see to many of them about that kind of lifestyle... I will be waiting for them.. haven't read any other good ones since I finished the wood central "Grandpa Tales" from Grandpa Augustus .. (well worth the read I assure you).

Maurice Metzger
08-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Junior, this is a "good read", please keep going.

Maurice

jonathan snyder
08-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Harry,

Great story, thanks for sharing! Sounds like a story my Grandpa might tell!

Jonathan

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
08-02-2006, 2:37 AM
Harry, this is amazing stuff, keep going.

(edited to fix typo)

Mark Rios
08-02-2006, 4:16 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep going. I am riveted.

Craig Mazur
08-02-2006, 6:52 AM
Harry excellent job. Since this is my first post, I should introduce myself, but this is not the place. I just wanted to say to any of the fellow creekers, if you enjoy Harry's teaching through stories and you have interest in machining or gunsmithing, Guy Lautard wrote a series of books (the Machinist's bedside reader) with this exact same style. Thanks again Harry

Craig

tod evans
08-02-2006, 7:05 AM
keep it up jr. best read i`ve had in a while. tod

Dave Anderson NH
08-02-2006, 9:22 AM
Outstanding Harry!!!!!! You have a very nice way of cramming a lot of information into a a compact format and yet still retain the flavor of 18th century life. please continue.

harry strasil
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Looking at what I have done so far I think I should have used a different approach to the title, but that's the nice thing about a first draft it can be changed. I am trying to do this as a young man would who has a diary or journal and is not a writer, but just noting what and how he learned his trade.

I have some historical fact to go on, and the rest is just how I envision the trade would be taught by repetition and attention to small details to impart precision and pride in ones work. The best way to learn something is repetition and practice. After all experience is just a whole lot of mistakes that teach us what will and will not work to get the proper results.

There are a lot of daily expieriences that could be included, but I am trying to remember the subjects age when doing this and am working from my own apprenticeship experiences.

This is kind of trial run for something similar about my grandfather.

If I make any mistakes about what I envision how an apprentice would be taught, please speak up.

I am nervous about this project anyway as everyone gets to look at the first draft and I don't concider myself to be a writer.

I do ok on real short stories about my personal experiences, but they are better if I write them out than if I tell them orally as I can put descriptive words in that make it more enjoyable. I am trying to avoid that in this instance and sticking to the bare facts that a boy of this age would remember.

Thank you for the encouragement.

harry strasil
08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Part 6 added and name of post changed

Dave Right
08-02-2006, 2:11 PM
great story! I hope you will continue more more more .....!

harry strasil
08-02-2006, 4:01 PM
Part 7 is posted.

Ed Nelson978
08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Jr.

This is a great story! you truly are a good story teller! please continue the tale, I am totally enthralled.

Brett Baldwin
08-03-2006, 1:14 AM
Great work Harry. I really like your keeping the point of view that of a young person working his way through.

tod evans
08-03-2006, 5:53 AM
jr., you need a publisher! keep em` commin`..tod

Marty Walsh
08-03-2006, 6:42 AM
JR,

I don't visit this area of the forum often, as I like most of my tools to have cords. :rolleyes: But I'm sure glad I did this morning. Your tale is a wonderful inspiration for me as I go outside to continue working on the building of my shop.

Thanks...many many thanks...
- Marty -

harry strasil
08-04-2006, 8:18 PM
Parts 8 and 9 posted.

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2006, 8:38 PM
Harry, I write quite a bit in my job. When I was 23 or so, a senior writer at a marketing firm (I was a statistician back then) I worked for told me I wrote how I spoke. When I looked at her blankly, she assured me that was a good thing.

I think I'm a reasonably good writer. I can usually get my point across when I write proposals, specs etc.

Your story reads like it is being told by someone amidst a group of friends, sitting in front of a fire. It evokes emotions and paints a vivid picture.

I look forward to your next installment. And start thinking about Tod's advice.

Mark Stutz
08-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Jr.
My only disappointment, was that there wasn't a new installment when I checked in this morning!:D Keep 'em coming

Mark

harry strasil
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Sorry Mark, it takes a while to write a segment, trying to be historically correct, with the tools and the words and making whatever is being explained to the point and understandable and the proof reading several times before the actual posting.

I am still a kid at heart I guess, any way people are always telling me to grow up, and as I did an appreticeship at a very young age I can relate to this young mans state of mind.

I haven't recieved any negative comments yet, so I must be going down the right path. I know one gentleman seemed dissappointed that no reference was given to what the shop was making. But I am trying to keep it going in the direction of how the young man is going about learning the trade by the method used in that time period, watching, asking questions and hands on experience. Once a woodworker learns and masters the basics he can pretty well make anything he wants to or go into a specialty field.

I can't remember for sure who planted the idea in my head, but it was in someones post that I read and this was a good chance to practice for a similar journal I want to do on my Grandfather.

Thank you all for the nice comments you have posted, it has given me inspiration to go on with this project as when I started this thing I had no idea how it was going to be recieved by all the really talented WW's that frequent the Haven.

As my posts reveal I don't spend a lot of time actually making things other than tools, but occasionally I do attempt something simple, I really do enjoy demoing for the public and giving them a little insight into the methods and tools that our forefathers used to make some of the beautiful pieces they crafted.

Respectfully
Jr. Strasil

tod evans
08-05-2006, 1:39 PM
jr. as to the shop...unless the owner was well known in a very populated area i`m bettin` that the shop would have built everything from hay wagons to fireplace mantles, cradles to caskets ect.....02 tod

Mike Henderson
08-05-2006, 2:35 PM
Harry, Thanks for the story - I'm really enjoying it. You mention that you're trying to be historically accurate. Do you have a source, or sources, about the progress of a furniture apprentice? For example, in your story Joshua is told to cut the firewood to an accurate size as a teaching tool. Is that something that was reported in contemporary accounts, or is it something that you thought of?

I really enjoy the story and appreciate your efforts in writing it - thank you!

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
08-05-2006, 4:27 PM
Bravo, Harry. Keep it comin'.

- Vaughn

Jerry White
08-05-2006, 5:19 PM
Informative and entertaining. Harry, you have a talent for this!

harry strasil
08-05-2006, 7:05 PM
Micheal, the part about doing the kindling was related to me by a 90 some year old man at a steam show demo a few years back. When we got to talking, he related some of the experiences of his grandfather, who had done his apprenticing as a WW in the early 1800's.

When I am out demonstrating sometimes a family will show up and watch for awhile and as they move on sometimes the grandfather will tell the family to come get him when they leave as he will be waiting for them at my demo area. I usually give them a chair or a stool to set on and after they watch me work awhile and listen to what I tell people who come up to watch and ask questions and he determines that I half way know what I am doing and talking about they will usually make comments about something and then when I listen or ask their advice they will open up and I set and listen and ask questions and I usually end up learning something, and I am a good listener. Showing the respect due them and asking their advice I earn their respect and the information flows and I absord all I can. I have even had a couple of old WWer's ask where my next demo is going to be and show up for a whole weekend and sometimes actually show me how to do things.

I love history and absorb all I can. I think a lot of it is they would like to pass on some of their experiences and knowledge to someone who is interested and will actually use it.

harry strasil
08-05-2006, 7:54 PM
Thanks to Marty for bringing to my attention the problem when I posted the last segments. it has been corrected.

Dave Anderson NH
08-08-2006, 1:15 PM
Uh Junior, About this kid at heart and growing up thing.... The way I heard tell, growing older is mandatory if you like living, up growing up is optional. I think I'd ask someone to shoot me if it ever looked like I was growing up. We all need the enthusiastic kid part of us.

Roger Nixon
08-08-2006, 5:15 PM
Dang it, Jr., I was sitting here snuffling over old Noah Yoder when some people showed up in my office. They probably guessed I had just lost a friend. :)

harry strasil
08-08-2006, 5:20 PM
You probably snuffled about old yeller too.

tod evans
08-08-2006, 5:22 PM
You probably snuffed about old yeller too.

i did........

harry strasil
08-08-2006, 5:54 PM
Part 9 completed and posted in post #5.

I am trying to get the Admin or a Moderator to move my little posts up to the top so I can post journal parts so they are all at the top instead of having to hunt thru the long thread.

harry strasil
08-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Journal part 10 added today 8/16/06 in post #5.

The administrators have not seen fit to make the small changes I requested, so I am thinking of moving the journal over to the Traditional Tools site so that it can be enjoyed with out hunting for the posts.

Mike Wenzloff
08-17-2006, 1:00 AM
Harry, Henry is a kid I have met all too often. Shiftless is a good term for him.

And though I haven't told anyone...yep, a sniffle or three for ol' Noah and his wife.

Keep it going, Harry!

Take care, Mike

harry strasil
08-17-2006, 2:30 AM
I moved the story to another thread of its own and this will stay as the comments thread, thank you.

I think it will be easier to read and find the new parts that way. I hope this meets with everyones approval?

Jr.

Ed Nelson978
08-17-2006, 8:12 AM
Jr., I hope you are feeling better! I have been anxiously awaiting the next chapter to the story and was glad to find it this morning. Thank you for sharing the story with us! I will wait for the next chapter of the saga. Sounds like young Henry is going to be a real piece of work!

Don Orr
08-17-2006, 8:54 AM
Harry, thanks so much for the most recent installment ! This is a wonderful story and I can't wait for each new part. I can feel the pride in you through this young apprentice working his way forward. It must have been a hard life back then for a youngster to be taken from his home and family and thrust into a strange world of hard work and toil. He is lucky to have a decent Master as I'm sure not all were so nice.

Glad to see you are feeling better and able to get to your computer and work on this incredible story. Take care of yourself and keep up the great work!

P.S.-I also got choked up when Noah died and left his tools to the young lad.:)

Joe Blankshain
08-17-2006, 9:40 AM
Welcome back Harry. Thanks for the latest installment of the story and I hope you are feeling better.

David Marcus Brown
08-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Was the Apprentice Journal moved to a different site? Where can I find it?

thanks!
Dave

harry strasil
08-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Dave, Yes it was moved to http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41381
I was unsuccessful in getting a moderator or Admin to make a couple of minor changes in this thread, so I moved the story to its own thread so it would be easier to find the new parts.

Jerry White
08-17-2006, 2:19 PM
Welcome back, Harry. Glad you are feeling well enough to write. And thanks for the new installment. The story continues to entertain (and educate). I hope you will give us many more installments.

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 6:25 PM
JR thats a great read, I can hardly wait for the next installment. Thanks

Pam Niedermayer
08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
OK, I have to be a bit of a pill here. I love the idea of the whole story, like almost all of what happens (I find the convenient inheritance somewhat disingenous), and think it has the makings of a very interesting book/story. However, it's filled with common mistakes made by most autodidact writers making their first book. For example, you want to think about more showing and less telling, never use passive tense (he picked up, not the item was picked up), and you want to think about using first person, think long and hard about it when not writing something from your experience. I'd think seriously about taking a beginning writing class

Now you can all hate me. Sorry.

Pam

Mike Wenzloff
08-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Geez, Pam. Not hate, but criticism.

What exactly is your point, Pam? Are you now the forum writing coach?
Wouldn't this have been better in a PM to Harry?

I don't think Harry is trying to write a novel in the sense of marketing it. He's writing because he is moved to. He is writing as if he was talking--have you spoke with him?

As well, can you not see some of Harry's own life in this story? His own life experience being cast into the characters?

Have a better evening than you are obviously having, Pam.

Take care, Mike

Ted Jay
08-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I moved the story to another thread of its own and this will stay as the comments thread, thank you.

I think it will be easier to read and find the new parts that way. I hope this meets with everyones approval?

Jr.

Harry, you might put a link to this thread at the end of the story thread to post here, (did that come out right?). That way someone won't have to hunt for this thread to post a comment, and put a link on your first post in this thread to the strory thread.

When I read the first post about the story being moved, I went looking, and it took a while. It would have been easier with a link to that post.

Ted
PS: Good story.
PSS: I didn't read Pams criticism as bad towards Harry, or about his writing, but as suggestions. Professional criticism in a classroom or private lessons, can be more helpful to a writer to not fall into a rut or create bad habits. Similar to the part in Harry's story early on when cutting all that kindling down to size, getting him ready for the real world. Pam, was I close?

Don Baer
08-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I believe Harry is trying to write this as a journal. I seriously doubt that a home schooled apprentice in the late 1700 would have had any creative writing edumacation so I find his style in keeping with the spirit of the essay. Keep up the good work jr.

Alan DuBoff
08-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Have a better evening than you are obviously having, Pam.Must be a bad day in the shop Mike? I also felt similar about 1st person which Pam mentioned, but didn't feel compelled to bring it up even, instead I went out to the shop and worked some wood.

I like reading the way Harry learned and does things, and don't mind his writing style at all, and maybe I'll pick up a tip or two that could help me when I'm in the shop. Just as I will from a hobbyist woodworker, have learned plenty from those types as well.

I will say that seeing some of the crtiisism about people spending money on tools, or not using the tool someone else would use, or the way they did something, actually bothers me more than anything Harry's written. I don't mind Pam making the comments and agree with her on at least one or more points.

Harry wouldn't be Harry if he wrote like Mark Twain (although his mustache did have that look to it! :p ).

I believe Harry is trying to write this as a journal. I seriously doubt that a home schooled apprentice in the late 1700 would have had any creative writing edumacation so I find his style in keeping with the spirit of the essay. Keep up the good work jr.Certainly don't understand that very well either, Harry must be older than I thought...

Mike Wenzloff
08-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Must be a bad day in the shop Mike? ...
Nope, not really. 1st full day in the shop all week, though.

I find unrequested criticism on this level in poor taste--yes, I understand this thread is for comments. I think that regardless of the reasons for it, it is less constructive than a personal message would have been. I also find the comments written in such a way as to anticipate the response. Or is that calculated? I get the two confused sometimes.

I once was criticised [angrily] for correcting someone on WoodCentral. I cannot even remember the issue, just the event. Guess the lesson stuck.

Of course, it may well have been the only lesson that has stuck in that last couple years ;) .

Take care, Mike
one person's view...

harry strasil
08-18-2006, 5:20 AM
Ok, enough is enough.

Everyone is entitled to voice their criticism or endorsement of almost anything, after all they are just voicing an opinion as they see it.

When it gets to the point of bickering about or bashing one another it has gone to far. We should each be respectful of one anothers opinion and let it go at that. Just look how low our politicians stoop to in their election campaigns.

If the criticism, bickering or whatever of one another continues, I will just stop writing the story.

I am not offended by Pam's post in any way. I look at it as constructive criticism from someone who is voicing an opinion with a 21st century point of view about a supposedly 18th century Personal Diary or Journal.

I will admit I dropped out of high school and joined the Navy because I probably never would have graduated because I could never understand English and still don't. In other words I am uneducated. I learned most of my punctuation and how to form sentences and paragraphs and such from reading books and novels. I am not ashamed of this in the least. I manage to get my point across and for some reason don't do to bad at spelling. I did manage to get my GED tho.

I had to look up a couple of the Big Words Pam used to determine their meaning. LOL So in a way she did further my edication.

Keeping in mind that this journal is supposedly written by a teenager in the 18th century, my writing is way to modern as the lad was very fortunate indeed that he could read and write at all. He must have been very fortunate to have parents that gave him a very basic ability to read and write and do his sums.

Have you ever given thought to why early churches had paintings on the walls and ceilings and why the many windows were so elaborately done with pictorial scenes in them? Most people of the day were illiterate and other than listening to one of the clergy read from the bible, looking at the pictures told a story they could understand. The phrase (a picture is worth a thousand words) I believe comes from illiterate people being able to understand the meaning of a picture or painting.

What they now call creative spelling in our schools was a fact of life in the 18th century for those who were fortunate to be somewhat literate. Even the scholars of the time could not have passed an 8th grade English test or a spelling exam today.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to read several handwritten diaries or journals from the past and the spelling and meaning is sometimes difficult to understand. I have a reprint of the 1703 edition of Moxon's Mechanik Exercises or the Doctrine of Handy-Works, and the use of what looks like a lower case (f) with the right side half of the crossbar left off for the letter (s) is very difficult to read at first and the spelling and punctuation are somewhat different than we are used to. And this book was written by a scholar of the time.

The Journal is not very authentic as far as the spelling goes as it is hard for me to spell a word as it sounds like would have been done in the 18th century. LOL, I make enough mistakes as it is.

I know some are dissappointed because it does not describe what articles were being made in the shop, but its about how the young lad learned to use the tools of the trade.

I hate it when I get long winded. :mad:

harry strasil
08-18-2006, 5:46 AM
A page of Moxon's book;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/page.jpg

Joe Blankshain
08-18-2006, 7:15 AM
Harry, you just keep on writing. As for the comments above with regard to grammar, tense, prose, etc. As a seriously educated individual (sometimes to my detriment), I find this story very refreshing and have found many people from this area that speak the way Harry is telling the story. I believe that the value is in the lesson, not in the mechanics or the delivery.

Glenn Clabo
08-18-2006, 8:08 AM
Jr,
Because work has recently taken over most of my time I haven't had a chance to read your thread. This morning I decided to take the time. Over a couple cups of coffee I've now caught up and wanted to say...I love it and can't wait for the next one. As a youngster I started my working life at 12 years old as a carpenters apprentice. The lessons I learned...not only working with wood...influence my everyday life. My father has been the greatest influence on my life. He was considered a genius in a profession full of highly educated professionals by doing amazing things with his mind and his hands throughout his life without making it through the 8th grade. The lessons everyone can learn from people like yourself and my dad are priceless. Please keep on keeping on.

Pam Niedermayer
08-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey, all I said was in an attempt to help, not hurt. I assumed that since the story was being published here that critical (Mike, please look this up before blasting me again) comments were requested. Also, please reference a long discussion we had on this issue in the Design forum ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40699 ). And I certainly would not have bothered to say anything if I hadn't basically liked the story.

Mike, I don't consider myself "the" forum writing coach, but perhaps "a" forum writing coach. Please notice that I have never made comments about all the grammatical and spelling errors that are evidenced in most any woodworking forum, although I promise that I do notice most of them. If someone were to post an idea about a software program s/he was developing, software development being an area in which I have considerable expertise (34 years of it for very good money), I'd also criticize (again, not what you're thinking). I've spent the last three years trying to learn how to write, started at a pretty high reader level, and I'm still at it. I think I have something of value to say, and my fellow students tend to agree.

I think Harry's effort is compelling and probably is publishable, but not as written.

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
08-18-2006, 11:07 AM
PSS: I didn't read Pams criticism as bad towards Harry, or about his writing, but as suggestions. Professional criticism in a classroom or private lessons, can be more helpful to a writer to not fall into a rut or create bad habits. Similar to the part in Harry's story early on when cutting all that kindling down to size, getting him ready for the real world. Pam, was I close?

Yes, indeed. Thanks.

Pam

harry strasil
08-18-2006, 1:27 PM
Thank you Pam for your insight. I know you were just trying to help and I appreciate it very much. I realize I am not good with getting things right, but I have some issues with correct English as it just doesn't sound right to me sometimes. I have a grandaughter that is 11 and is slightly challenged in school and doesn't spell all that well, but does type, so if I were to have it made into a book, I would dictate it to her to get the more or less period spelling and punctuation more time period accurate. To have everything right, spelling and punctuation and all it would loose period accuracy. It's bad enough right now in that respect.

Thank You.

Respectfully
Jr. Strasil

tod evans
08-18-2006, 2:41 PM
well jr, from a semiliterate hillbilly i think you`re doing a darn fine job and i`m enjoying the story immensely. thank you for youir efforts, i appreiciate them...02 tod

Tom Sherman
08-18-2006, 11:58 PM
I too am enjoying this emensly. Hope your back is better.

harry strasil
08-19-2006, 11:52 PM
post to bring comments up to top

Don Baer
08-20-2006, 12:11 AM
jr, keep up the story, I am realy enjoying it.

db

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Harry, I've just finished reading up to part 11 and not only am I enthralled with your story I am also very, very impressed.

I would like to formally thank you again for taking the time to afford us this GREAT, fascinating story.

How truly fortunate and privileged we are to have you here in the Creek....for ALL that you provide.

harry strasil
08-24-2006, 1:08 PM
brought to top as story has been updated

Mike Henderson
08-24-2006, 3:25 PM
Harry, I was thinking as I was reading your story - this would be a great "Introduction to Woodworking" book. That is, if you included diagrams and pictures of the things you describe, such as how to make a dovetail or how to prepare stock, the book could sell as a story to experienced woodworkers, or as a tutorial to beginning woodworkers. When I was starting woodworking, I would have enjoyed a tutorial book like this rather than the traditional tutorial books.

Great job, and keep up the good work.

Mike

[do you want us to send you things like typos and/or other comments? If so, do you want us to PM you or what?]

[Oops, I hadn't read all the previous posts. My question (above) about typos and comments may not be appropriate.]

harry strasil
08-24-2006, 3:31 PM
PM's or out in the open here is fine. I take criticism well and know I make mistakes, some intentional as per the times and some unintentional. I try not to hide anything and suggestions are welcome. I was thinking this morning that a few drawings might go over well.

Thank You

Jr.

Mike Henderson
08-24-2006, 3:46 PM
One suggestion - you didn't introduce Joshua by name until Noah's funeral. When I was reading it and the preacher announced that things were left to Joshua Leeper, I didn't know who Joshua was.

Perhaps you could start the saga with the sentence "My name is Joshua Leeper..." and then go on to introduce his parents and siblings by name so that we know who they are before we get into the main body.

I don't have any problem with spelling because, as you point out, it's being written by a boy with limited education. There are a couple of places where I'm pretty sure you have typos and I'll send them to you (if I can find them again) by PM. I posted my comment above because I'd like to see what others think of my suggestion.

Mike

harry strasil
08-24-2006, 4:10 PM
Thanks, Mike, I didn't know what his name was till that time either. LOL so it was a surprise to all of us. My first wife could trace her family back to the revolutionary war and some of her kinfolk were Leepers, so it just fell into place at the moment. I am not sure a young man of that era would have actually started with, My name is, but that is easily changed at some time in the future.

My writing ability is somewhat like my drawing ability, I have to be in the mood and have a basic idea of what I want to do and along with trying to keep it historically correct, the proper names for tools in the time period and with what little fact I have to go on. Most of it is just how I myself think things would have been done at the time period. I am drawing on a lot of my own expieriences in learning how to use old tools and do handtool woodworking. And I have lapses in memory at times like the Butterfly Flooring wedges, I just now remembered they were called Keys, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't remember that word at the time of the writing. I have seen a few examples of them in historical places I have visited and was in awe of them at the times.

I am like a little kid myself at times and I know that if you don't understand something you will never know till you ask and I was encouraged to ask questions when I was an apprentice. Some of the things and terms I am using modern WW's may not know so I have Joshua asking and Master explaining so people will understand better.

There was no main plan to start with, it is just evolving as it goes along. Some twists and turns it has taken just popped into my mind and sounded good and I typed it up.

Respectfully

Jr.

Don Baer
08-24-2006, 6:30 PM
JR,
I truly am enjoying the journal and I am learning a lot along the way. Like the differant angle for dovetails for differant hardness of wood.

Philip Duffy
08-25-2006, 9:15 AM
Harry, It would seem to me that all of your writings should be combined into a nice shop manual/book for those of the next generation to learn from. Have you called anyone to discuss this idea of a book? Sometimes the local college bookstore or university literature depts. have someone who is focused on this type of project and would be willing to share the workload. Think about it. Phil

Bill Moser
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Jr -
I just read all the installments in one sitting and I must say that I'm
very impressed. You are definitely finding your groove as you progress --
the writing is getting better and better. The beginning chapters were
very roughly sketched out, but as you go, the story gets more detailed,
and interesting. I don't know how far you plan to take this, but I'm with
you all the way!
Regards,
Bill

Jim Dunn
08-26-2006, 8:49 AM
Harry (Jr.) I don't own enough hand tools to fill a small till, but, I love a good story. Great job telling it, and thanks for the posts.

Ed Breen
08-26-2006, 8:41 PM
Harry,
Thank you for your great tale. I've been checking for the last installment, and discovered it this evening. I hope it comes out in a book form. I'm collecting the pages in a looseleaf now, but would buy it as a book and give it to several friends and my daughter.
Ed

Don Baer
08-29-2006, 6:39 PM
Keep em comming jr, your a great story teller.

Tom Sontag
08-30-2006, 2:33 AM
I've just read the whole story to this point and enjoyed the experience. And the comments and encouragement in this thread are on target too. Including Pam's crit, which (at slight risk) I am going to add to.

I am not a writer, but I can be a good and careful reader. So do whatever you want with this:

If this is truly a first draft, consider the tense issue (past tense phrasing versus present tense) as really a part of the whole structure. If this is a journal, go ahead and structure it as one: instead of "parts" use dates. Or if this is a summary he writes much later from his journal entries (for his grandkids, say), then you could keep the narrative flow as is. If you want this all to be in Joshua's unique voice, give it some kind of character so we know it is him.

The inheritance of the tools makes sense but the valuable land thing does not, especially since Noah and Josua's relationship was not explained in any depth before the surprise. Developing Noah's character a bit up front would help. I still doubt Noah's son would get passed over like that (regarding the land).

If Joshua was really curious and a quick learner, would he really have not even seen some tools used after 4 years of being in the shop? Not ever seen winding sticks used? Dunno, which is why I ask.

Would the Master really have fired a long time employee just because he needed glasses? Are we supposed to respect and like him if he can be that harsh? It would make a richer story if the characters were fleshed out a bit more fully.

I cannot recall the New Englander who wrote several period pieces in this vein in a similar effort to put the reader in the shoes of someone at the time. They were placed in New England and one that I recall was farm based. Anyone have any idea who I am trying to remember? It had lots of drawings showing tools and stuff; wish I could remember!

Pat Keefe
08-30-2006, 6:32 AM
Harry, you are a great story teller. I look forward to the next installment.
It's a bit like "a boy's own adventure" tale, with fascinating insights to woodworking.

Keep up the good work!

Pat Keefe
Towradgi, NSW, Australia

harry strasil
08-30-2006, 7:08 AM
Thanks for the tips Tom, it is indeed a first draft, with room for lots of improvement.

Noah's son didn't get passed over, it was his idea to bequeath the small parcel of land with improvements to Joshua.

I am surprised nobody has caught my big Historical BooBoo yet.

This journal (story) just evolves part by part as I write it. Glad people are enjoying it. This is my first writing endeavor of something this long. It takes me awhile day dreaming to come up with the next part, but does keep my mind occupied.

harry strasil
08-30-2006, 9:53 AM
In response to the readers and some of those who have given me suggestions about the Journal Story, At times while composing a new part I wonder how I talked myself into doing this story, remembering that I am in fact a high school drop out because I couldn't understand English class. Each part is kinda based on the part preceding it. I don't claim to be a writer and never know myself how a segment is going to evolve or turn out till I get done typing it.

I had about an hour phone conversation with Dave Anderson the other night soliciting his advice and experiences as his family have been shipwrights and woodworkers for many generations. It was an enlightning conversation and I learned that in the time period I am supposedly writing about apprenticeships were short as the need for skilled labor was great. The longer apprenticeships came in during a later period I guess.

I think that normally a story is written in its entirety, then proofread by several people and then edited and proofread again before it is ever put in print, while this one is being written, proofread once and then posted for reading. The names come up as needed and a lot of it is from my own personal experience.

The original intent was to come up with a very Short story explaining about how an apprentice would have been trained and especially how he learned to use a few tools. I am trying to keep the tools used, their respective names and terminology as accurate as I can from my own ideas of how things would have been done. I have named none of the workmen in the shop as keeping them straight would be more of a problem than I want to get involved in.

Thank you for the support and the constructive criticism, it has made me look at things differently and I am learning as I go along.

Respectfully

Jr.

Mike Henderson
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I am surprised nobody has caught my big Historical BooBoo yet.
I've been trying to think of what your "BooBoo" might be. You say in the opening of your story that it is set in the "late 1700's". The American Revolution was fought until 1783 and disrupted commerce quite a bit - many cabinetmakers went out of business during the war for lack of customers. If your story takes place during the war, the young people might have gone off to war, or at least there might be some mention of the war in your story. You use dollars as the unit of currency so it could be that your story takes place after the war (between 1783 -1800). If your story takes place prior to the war, the unit of currency would not be the dollar, but the colonial pound.

Mike

[I re-read the story and noticed that you said Joshua's father was an officer in Washingon's army so this puts the story in the 1783-1800 time period. You don't indicate that Joshua's father has just returned home, so this would probably push it to at least the 1785-1800 period.]

Dave Anderson NH
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I know the Boo Boo, but I'm not gonna tell. Junior and I discussed it the other night privately.:D

Tom Sontag
08-30-2006, 7:19 PM
I cannot recall the New Englander who wrote several period pieces in this vein in a similar effort to put the reader in the shoes of someone at the time. They were placed in New England and one that I recall was farm based. Anyone have any idea who I am trying to remember? It had lots of drawings showing tools and stuff; wish I could remember!

(Brain kicks in) Eric Sloane! Those of you enjoying this tale will also enjoy his "Reverence for Wood"

http://www.amazon.com/A-Reverence-Wood-Eric/dp/0486433943/sr=1-3/qid=1156979267/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-3374764-3227053?ie=UTF8&s=books

harry strasil
08-30-2006, 7:28 PM
Don't forget Eric Sloanes Museum of early american tools.

Pam Niedermayer
08-30-2006, 11:56 PM
I visited the museum about 4 years ago, wonderful experience; but I thought it was closing.

Pam

chip hamblin
08-31-2006, 1:31 AM
Harry, you are providing a delightful insight into the woodworker's lives, time, and tempo of life long gone by. My GreatGrandfather worked in a similar fashion a century ago and his forbears where without doubt around during the time of your story. Your story provides so much information history, attitude, and condition. It is a magnificient accomplishment! Bravo!

harry strasil
08-31-2006, 8:45 AM
Pam, I was refering to the book by that name.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Harry, I was just thinking about Joshua this evening, wondering how he's doing. Did he complete his apprenticeship? What kind of furniture did he make? How's the new apprentice working out?

What about his love life? Is he going to meet some special girl?

So many questions - I look forward to the next installment.

Mike

Don Baer
09-09-2006, 1:16 AM
What Mike said.

harry strasil
09-09-2006, 2:14 AM
Mike and Don and other Readers, You might say Joshua has had a small vacation. I have been in some rather nasty pain with my lower back thighs and calves. I have had 2 Epidurals, first one worked pretty well for about 5 months, then I had another which was did almost nothing, was supposed to given a trial run an implantable multi wire SCS Spinal Column Stimulation Unit Friday the 8th, but my original appt with a Neurosurgeon is next Wednesday and the pain center doc gave me another epidural instead, wanting to wait and see what the neurologist says. The Epidural yesterday is creating complications at the moment.

I hope to get back to the Journal as soon as I can. I have rewritten part of the beginning like it should have been and have worked on the tense thing and also corrected some Historical mistakes.

I have also been attempting to finish up the Saw Table Tutural but can only spend a few minutes at a time working on it. I have even been doing some real small repair jobs to try and get just a little cash flow also. But I have been trying to not jeaprodize my health permanently by over doing things.

Its been frustrating not being able to work when I have always been really active. I haven't lost my sense of humor yet, thankfully and only get really grouchy when the pain is almost unbearable.

Don Baer
09-09-2006, 4:42 PM
Harry,
You take care of your health, we can wait on the apprentice. Get well soon my friend.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2006, 7:52 PM
What Don said.

Mike

P.S. Harry, I hope you're better soon. My best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Jim Dunn
09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Harry take care of that back. I had surgery early last year and it did wonders for me. Both my son's backs are giving them trouble as I write this. The youngest is 28 and the oldest is 30. Both are finally coming to the "old man" for some advice.

Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Ed Nelson978
09-16-2006, 9:48 PM
Jr., I hope you are doing OK. I've missed hearing from you!

harry strasil
09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
First page of the story has been revised, corrected and a few drawing added if any one is interested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41381

tod evans
09-17-2006, 2:03 PM
In response to the readers and some of those who have given me suggestions about the Journal Story, At times while composing a new part I wonder how I talked myself into doing this story, remembering that I am in fact a high school drop out because I couldn't understand English class. Each part is kinda based on the part preceding it. I don't claim to be a writer and never know myself how a segment is going to evolve or turn out till I get done typing it.

Respectfully

Jr.

jr, you`re doing a darn fine job of telling the story! please don`t fret over little things like grammer-n-punctuation i`m sure each of us who are following would rather have more insight into your brain than a 12x proof-read tome...keep `em comming, hope your back gets to feelin` better soon and thanks! tod

Ed Nelson978
10-06-2006, 1:21 PM
How's the young apprentice doing?

harry strasil
10-06-2006, 7:54 PM
The Journal apprentice is still on holiday as the brits say. This apprentice is having a rough go of it, therapy is causing more problems than it is curing. I am deeply sorry for the delay but the pain factor doesn't let me set at the puter for very long, and I don't really like to take pills for pain as long as I can keep it to a tolerable level. I am going to the heritage days this weekend only because Roger Nixon and hopefull several others will be there to do most of the hard stuff.

Thank you for putting up with me.

Jr. Strasil

Ed Nelson978
10-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Sorry to hear you're still having a tough time. Hopefully the apprentice is enjoying his vacation, he is quite a hard little worker afterall:D. Take care and I hope you are back at doing what you enjoy soon!

Mark Rios
10-08-2006, 1:00 AM
Just a small post to say that I hope you're feeling better Harry. Hope you enjoy the weekend fun.

Alan DuBoff
10-08-2006, 5:26 AM
Hey, you guys knock it off. Jr. need to post over on IForgeIron, what's up with you guys?:confused:

I think what Harry needs is a contoure recliner chair with a keyboard and monitor suspension system. I actually have a contoure chair from the '50s, it was my grandmother's, has a broken rear leg. But it's the old style on a wooden slider with a wooden release on the side. The new ones are motorized. So, it's the neander model.;)

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 8:00 AM
Get to feeling better Harry. Heal quickly and Thank You for sharing your experiences and knowledge with us.

Roy Wall
10-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Harry,

Your writing style and grammar are just perfect for this journal...a beautiful fit!!

Secondly, you take care and rest up. Prayers your way!

Alan DuBoff
10-08-2006, 4:31 PM
Moderators,

Over on IForgeIron they have a Prayer forum, where people can post when either a person had passed on to the great world beyond or were injured, etc...might be worth considering on SMC, there's been several posts in the past that pertain to this. Seems a good way to keep it centralized. Food for thought...ignore if it doesn't suit.

"Michael Hinkel"
01-19-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this. I really enjoy reading it. Reminded me of the time I spent with a cabinetmaker when I was in high school. He and his family were good to me while I worked and lived with them.