PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat! 12 foot quartered wenge

Mark Singer
08-01-2006, 3:59 PM
At 6;30 this morning I was on the road to Austin Hardwoods...They called a couple of days ago to tell me that 12 ft wenge was in stock... I called my clint that wanted a Dining Table and asked if she wanted mine. I origanally wanted a 12 ft table, and 10 ft were the longest boards I coud find... Wenge is from Camaroon, Africa and is often unavailable...
She said Yes!
6:30 ...leather gloves....tape measure....Porsche...(wrong) ...Tundra....drive...2 hours latter...140 bf Wenge 12 feet long....I waited about 5 years and WOW!

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 4:13 PM
Cool Mark, I can't wait to see what you do with that.

Richard Wolf
08-01-2006, 4:16 PM
Nice looking pile of lumber.

Richard

Jim Becker
08-01-2006, 4:37 PM
Neat...and the client gets a nice deal, too...the table she's getting is already primo and well trained for the task! ;)

Karl Laustrup
08-01-2006, 4:46 PM
A couple of days late, but still that's a great B-Day present. :)

Should we even ask $$$. :eek: ;) :D

Karl

John Michaels
08-01-2006, 4:54 PM
Very Nice!!

I'm building a dresser, (my first woodworking project.) The dresser top is bubinga and the body will be maple.

Mark Rios
08-01-2006, 4:57 PM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about with the wenge. It just looks like a tighter grain walnut to me. Nothing special.

Just teasin.

Mark, with the level of craftsmanship that you've shown us on past projects, your latest endeavor with this wenge should be very exciting to see. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work with this material.

Mark Rios
08-01-2006, 4:58 PM
A couple of days late, but still that's a great B-Day present. :)

Should we even ask $$$. :eek: ;) :D

Karl

I would just say...................a million $$$$$$$. It just looks expensive. Very nice stuff.

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 5:09 PM
Product Descriptions: Wenge

(Millettia laurentii)
Color: Dark brown to black with fine black veining.

The Tree: Ranges from 60-90 feet in height; bole usually straight and unbuttressed; trunk diameters about 36".

The Wood: Texture is rather coarse; straight grain; hard and heavy. Works fairly well with machine tools but has a high blunting effect on cutting edges. Turns well. Difficult to glue if resinous.

Typical Uses: Furniture, cabinets, flooring, industrial, exterior.

Source Region: Tropical West Africa, Zaire, Cameroon, Gabon, Tanzania.

Wenge 4/4
S2S, various widths, various lengths." http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/00000001/select2.gif (http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=wen44&Category_Code=Wenge&Product_Count=1) $21.99

Wenge 8/4
S2S, various widths, various lengths http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/00000001/select2.gif (http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=wen84&Category_Code=Wenge&Product_Count=2) $23.99

I'm sure Mark got a better price from Austin hardwoods.

Chris Padilla
08-01-2006, 5:24 PM
Uhm, lets discuss how to properly pronounce "Wenge!" :)

Is it "Weng" or is it "Wen-gee" or "Wen-gay" or what??

BTW, nice haul...but I'm sure it hauled a lot out of your credit card, too!! ;)

Roy Wall
08-01-2006, 6:01 PM
Uhm, lets discuss how to properly pronounce "Wenge!" :)

Is it "Weng" or is it "Wen-gee" or "Wen-gay" or what??

BTW, nice haul...but I'm sure it hauled a lot out of your credit card, too!! ;)

I'm going with........"wen-gay".........and sticking to it till someone else tells me I'm in error (again):eek: :confused: :)

Mark Singer
08-01-2006, 6:30 PM
I got a pretty good deal....$15.69 a board foot...which is about the price of teak...you know how I feel about teak:mad:

They know I was looking for it.....12 footers are uncommon...so I am happy!
$2400 in all....like the price of a nice cabinet saw:rolleyes:

It is the most splinterry wood I have ever worked! I know its qualiteis and all and all I really like it!

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2006, 6:40 PM
I'm going with........"wen-gay".........and sticking to it till someone else tells me I'm in error (again):eek: :confused: :)That's how David Marks pronounces it on his show, and as best I can remember, that's the only place I've ever heard the word spoken, as opposed to written.

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2006, 6:43 PM
I got a pretty good deal....$15.69 a board foot...which is about the price of teak...you know how I feel about teak:mad:

It is the most splinterry wood I have ever worked! I know its qualiteis and all and all I really like it!"It has everything I love about teak, plus...it splinters, too!!"

You write a mean sales pitch, Mark. :p :D :eek:

Andy Hoyt
08-01-2006, 6:49 PM
Cool Mark, I can't wait to see what you do with that. And I'm waiting to see what we can do with this thread.

Did all y'all know that some folks over in The Congo have just come out with their own version of wenge. Word on the street is that the customer service won't be as good; the silica content is way off the scale; and the stuff was sawn somewhere in asia.:D

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 7:01 PM
And I'm waiting to see what we can do with this thread.

Did all y'all know that some folks over in The Congo have just come out with their own version of wenge. Word on the street is that the customer service won't be as good; the silica content is way off the scale; and the stuff was sawn somewhere in asia.:D

OK Hoyt, you owe me a new Keyboard.

John Scarpa
08-01-2006, 7:03 PM
And we get to see another "Singer" table take shape. Cool!

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 7:38 PM
She said Yes!

I suprised she wanted it after John Miliunas (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=37) ate at the table. He probubly carved his initials in it.

Jim Becker
08-01-2006, 8:13 PM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about with the wenge. It just looks like a tighter grain walnut to me. Nothing special. (just kidding)

The splinters are far more fun with wenge than they are with plain old walnut!!

Mark Singer
08-01-2006, 8:37 PM
I suprised she wanted it after John Miliunas (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=37) ate at the table. He probubly carved his initials in it.

She did mention that;) ....I really needed to sell her after the John ate here question:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Wouldn't the famous "JM" raise the price a bit???

John Miliunas
08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Now just wait a cotton, pickin' minute there, fella's!!! First off, I never ate at that particular table! :) Secondly, after Mark's craftsmanship, my own initials would hardly raise or lower the price of it. Lastly, Mark, how in the heck did you find where I carved my initials in it??? I thought I had them hid pretty good! :D

Nice score on the Wenge, BTW! At that price, however, I doubt I could afford to buy the sawdust from it, much less any board feet!!! :eek: :) :cool:

Mark Singer
08-02-2006, 7:39 AM
Now just wait a cotton, pickin' minute there, fella's!!! First off, I never ate at that particular table! :) Secondly, after Mark's craftsmanship, my own initials would hardly raise or lower the price of it. Lastly, Mark, how in the heck did you find where I carved my initials in it??? I thought I had them hid pretty good! :D

Nice score on the Wenge, BTW! At that price, however, I doubt I could afford to buy the sawdust from it, much less any board feet!!! :eek: :) :cool:

John,
She touched the top and said it felt like a "cheese" finish....that started the whole discussion....:rolleyes:
Actually at $15.69 I am going back to look at the 4/4...she wants a bed also

John Miliunas
08-02-2006, 8:03 AM
John,
She touched the top and said it felt like a "cheese" finish....that started the whole discussion....:rolleyes:
Actually at $15.69 I am going back to look at the 4/4...she wants a bed also

OK, I've seen, read and heard all types of descriptions regarding finishes, but "cheese"???? :eek: :confused: OMG, I can see it now: My shelves at work (Woodcraft) will now have General Finishes Gloss, Satin and CHEESE!!! Hey, I'm in Wisconsin; Might prove to be a popular finish!!! :D

So now she'll have your table and sounds like you're making a bed, as well. How about the chairs for the table??? Making those, too??? Gonna' make a couple more for your own new table, as well??? Inquiring minds want to know!!! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
08-02-2006, 8:09 AM
John,
Should I sell her my chairs and make new ones for my home? She did mention that...

Otherwise I make her chairs of a different design and a bed a Krenov style cabinet for the bath on a stand....second bed...a sofa ...4 barstools...a coffee table and a couple of queen size beds with night stands

Chip Charnley
08-02-2006, 8:43 AM
John,
Should I sell her my chairs and make new ones for my home? She did mention that...

Otherwise I make her chairs of a different design and a bed a Krenov style cabinet for the bath on a stand....second bed...a sofa ...4 barstools...a coffee table and a couple of queen size beds with night stands

Wow Mark, that's quite a list. And you plan to be done when, 2012? :eek: :D

John Miliunas
08-02-2006, 8:55 AM
John,

Mark, if she's happy with the design of your current chairs, my vote goes to selling her the complete "set" (dining table/chairs) and design/build new ones for yourself! Point being, as long as you'd probably end up making chairs anyway, take some of the enjoyment you get out of a new design and the building of them and do it for you and Myriam!!! :) Besides, that way, all the fresh wood could age together and your client would equally have a more "matched" set. Just MHO.... :) :cool:

Brandon Shew
08-02-2006, 9:50 PM
The splinters are far more fun with wenge than they are with plain old walnut!!

Agreed. And so is the dust. That stuff vaporizes into fine powder when you cut it. I've worked with it a few times and I've never seen anything like it.

Seth Poorman
08-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Nice score Mark ..
How does this stuff Plane , does it tearout easy on the planer ??
I was thinking on a Hall table for a client.