PDA

View Full Version : Sticker shock!

Bruce Page
08-01-2006, 2:41 PM
I just received a quote from a local lumber supplier for 70bf of 5/4 quarter sawn white oak, select or better….are you sitting down? $7.80bf plus shipping from Pennsylvania! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I love working wood in the middle of the desert! :(

Steve Strickler
08-01-2006, 2:50 PM
Bruce,
I can help you out...I have some Qsawn white that I was gonna be posting for sale.
If you wish to pursue this, just PM me.
Thanks.

Mike Henderson
08-01-2006, 2:52 PM
I just received a quote from a local lumber supplier for 70bf of 5/4 quarter sawn white oak, select or better….are you sitting down? $7.80bf plus shipping from Pennsylvania! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow! I haven't priced quarter sawn, but I pay $4.30bf for 6/4 FAS flat sawn white oak here, and I thought that was high.

Mike

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 2:56 PM

Bruce,
Call Chandler Harwood In AZ. It's a lot closer and I know I saw some QSWO when I was there a few weeks ago. There a lot closer to you. There great people and and they ship. Or drive over and I'll buy you lunch if it's after tomarrow.

(480) 802-0429

I prices some 4/4 White Oak, Not QS but there price was $3.25 bd ft with a 10% discount for 100 BD ft or more.

Scott Loven
08-01-2006, 3:45 PM
Try these guys, its where I get my wood from. Select 5/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak is $4.00 bf
http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic87.html;$sessionid$RC5BVMQAAAF1JTZENUGZPQWP ERWRJPX0 (http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic87.html;$sessionid$RC5BVMQAAAF1JTZENUGZPQWP ERWRJPX0)

Michael Conner
08-01-2006, 7:53 PM
I'll have some white oak, but it will be freshly cut in about one month. I doubt you'd want to wait that long.

Jesse Cloud
08-01-2006, 7:57 PM
Hey Bruce. I feel your pain. I live just up the road in Placitas. Are we crazy or what? Trying to work wood in the desert.

Anyhow, Lately I've been buying wood directly from the East Coast. Walllumber.com. There have been several posts on the creek from satisfied customers. They will work with you to find reasonable shipping costs. Last time I paid about $0.80 per board ft from North Carolina. Hint- several shippers charge lower fees if you are commercial, rather than residential, so don't forget to give them your company name ;)

If you do any SW style furniture, they have some really good 12/4 pine that makes good legs for chairs and benches.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, just a satisfied customer.

My 2 cents... YMMV

Bruce Page
08-01-2006, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the great info guys! I sent Steve a PM but I’m also going to check out Chandler Hardwood and Hartzall (dang, I was in Chandler not too long ago!).

Jesse, I have used Steve Wall lumber before and also had a good experience, I was just hoping to avoid the trucking company hassle. How do you like all this beautiful rain that we’ve been getting?

scott spencer
08-01-2006, 9:36 PM

I love working wood in the middle of the desert! :( It's likely that your local supplier is buying it for the price you could get it, then marking it up to offset the cost of the phone call.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-01-2006, 9:40 PM
Daggone, Bruce..........................That hurt me way out here, in he middle of Red Oak heaven!

Bruce

Don Baer
08-01-2006, 9:40 PM
Bruce,
If and when you get over to Chandler do go see them at www.chandlerhardwoods.com (http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com) . There a little hard to find cause there on a little dead end dirt road off Queen Creek BLVD between McQueen and Gilbert, just south of the Chandler Airport. If ya make it over send a PM and the offer for lunch is an open invite.

CPeter James
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
I guess that is why I live in New Hampshire. I have about 1500' of red oak sitting out there. The cost to me is $.20/bd ft. plus my time getting it to the door yard for the guy to saw it. Some it it is 8/4 and the rest is 5/4 pretty clear and up to 16" wide. Also pine up to 20" and clear. I am blessed. The only problem is that at these prices, I refuse to buy expensive stuff, so what I make is pine and oak.

CPeter

Bruce Page
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Bruce,
If and when you get over to Chandler do go see them at www.chandlerhardwoods.com (http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com) . There a little hard to find cause there on a little dead end dirt road off Queen Creek BLVD between McQueen and Gilbert, just south of the Chandler Airport. If ya make it over send a PM and the offer for lunch is an open invite.
Thanks Don. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. The shipping has to be a lot less from AZ. I spent a few days out at Orbital Sciences in Chandler. Very nice country side!

Bruce Page
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Daggone, Bruce..........................That hurt me way out here, in he middle of Red Oak heaven!

Bruce
Bruce, I almost lost my lunch when he gave me that price. It's almost $11bf with shipping!

CPeter, It must be nice to have that kind of private stash but your neck of the woods is way too cold for this California transplant!