PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ernie Nyvall.........Here's what I did with that pecan...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2006, 1:54 PM
Well Ernie......Momma's home with the camera.........Here's what I did with that piece of pecan you sent me..........A couple of firsts......used superglue to keep the bark on.........Used danish oil as a finish and then Beal buffed.......Texas pecan NE.....7 1/2" by 4 1/2".....danish oil Beal buffed.......Walls 3/8-7/16" The bark tried to come off....I superglued it and when I got it turned down to this thickness it started again. As I wanted the bark to remain...I quit with thick walls.........As always......comments and critiques welcomed!

Jason Christenson
08-01-2006, 2:40 PM
That's a nice looking NE bowl. You said you quit with the walls still thick, how thin were you shooting for?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2006, 2:57 PM
Jason......I like to get to 1/4" if I can. Maybe that's unrealistic for an NE? This is only my 3rd NE. Thanks for the comment!

Jason Christenson
08-01-2006, 3:07 PM
That doesn't sound unrealistic to me, on the other hand the only NE I've tried blew up! I'm sure someone with a little more experience will chime in soon.

Keith Burns
08-01-2006, 3:17 PM
Ken, for someone far removed from the South you sure are catching on quick to this spinny stuff. Nice job on this NE. I like the form and finish. I'm no Mark C. or Travis S. so I can't seem to get the walls much under 3/8" without losing the bark either. I took one down to about 1/4" and lost 80% of the bark. Great job:) :)

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2006, 3:57 PM
I took one down to about 1/4" and lost 80% of the bark.You're doing better than I am. I've got a chunk of the same tree from Ernie and the bark was coming off in chunks while I was rounding it off on the bandsaw. :eek:

There was one big piece of bark left in the middle (where it was going to get turned off anyway)...one quick pop with a screwdriver and I had myself a pecan-bark yarmulke. :p Lots of insect tracks underneath, so I'm not real surprised.

So whenever I actually get around to turning it, it'll be a NENB (natural edge, no bark)...is that kosher? :D

Karl Laustrup
08-01-2006, 4:59 PM
Ken, that is really nice. The contrast between the bark and the wood is quite pleasing.

Glad LOYL got home OK. Enjoy your week off. ;) :D

Karl

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2006, 5:16 PM
You're doing better than I am. I've got a chunk of the same tree from Ernie and the bark was coming off in chunks while I was rounding it off on the bandsaw. :eek:

There was one big piece of bark left in the middle (where it was going to get turned off anyway)...one quick pop with a screwdriver and I had myself a pecan-bark yarmulke. :p Lots of insect tracks underneath, so I'm not real surprised.

So whenever I actually get around to turning it, it'll be a NENB (natural edge, no bark)...is that kosher? :DJust reread that, and thought I should clarify something:

This was not Ernie's fault! I greatly appreciate him giving wood away to people like me who are more likely to turn it into hamster bedding than make something useful out of it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2006, 5:30 PM
Lee...........I think that's one thing we all need to keep in mind when we are turning or doing flatwork. We are working with wood....it's dynamic...much more so that most metals or plastics IMHO. That's also what makes it so enjoyable to me........You can have the best technique in the world.....the dynamics and unpreditability of the wood......creates what it wants to be within the parameters that we set with our tools, finishes etc.......Sometimes we can play off that dynamics. Some of the bowls...NEs...that IMHO were beautiful ......were those that the dynamics of the wood were allowed to happen and one couldn't really predict what was going to happen......Just like the bark on this bowl.....I am nearly deaf.....but I noticed subtle changes in the vibration of the "diving board" bench.....I stopped the lathe and saw the bark beginning to free itself from the body of the wood.....I broke out the super glue and used it for the very first time to maintain the bark to the wood.......What you can't see in the pictures....in 2 places...the bark has cracks in it going vertically from the body of the wood to the outer surface....the bark is shrinking faster than the body of the bowl and thus the cracks have formed and are daily explanding....I turned this green....didn't use DNA......after talking with Dennis Peacock...I wanted to allow the dynamics of the wood to occur....so I slathered on the danish oil.....waited 24 hours....repeated the danish oil....again...and again......It'll be interesting to see how this bowl actually turns out in a couple of months!

Vaughn McMillan
08-01-2006, 7:10 PM
...So whenever I actually get around to turning it, it'll be a NENB (natural edge, no bark)...is that kosher? :D
Only if you're wearing your pecan-bark yarmulke.

- Vaughn

Tom Sherman
08-01-2006, 9:23 PM
Ken, I havetasay that it was worth the wait to see this bowl. I think you did good and now with Picture proof all is right in the Vortex.

Jim Ketron
08-01-2006, 9:31 PM
Nice Job Ken!
Sometimes it's fun to push the limits. but sometimes ya bite the bullet!
looks like you took the right approach to save the bark. you will get more daring as you keep doing them just give it time and you will get them down to the size you are after.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-01-2006, 9:42 PM
Great job, Ken! And you've only been turning HOW LONG????????????????????

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Alright Ken. Looks good. That wood does have some dark spots in doesn't it. I think you had asked about spalting earlier, and I guess maybe it had started.

Sorry about the trouble you guys had with the bark, but I was afraid of that since it has been popping off all the pieces I still have. I guess the tree was down longer than I thought.

Ernie

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry about the trouble you guys had with the bark, but I was afraid of that since it has been popping off all the pieces I still have. I guess the tree was down longer than I thought.No worries.

But it sure looked like whatever you sealed the log with was the only thing holding the bark on. :p

Barry Stratton
08-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Great job Ken, that was worth the wait! Now you've put the pressure on us.....

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2006, 5:49 PM
No worries.

But it sure looked like whatever you sealed the log with was the only thing holding the bark on. :p

Well, the anchor seal didn't help here any at all. I noticed the bark coming off the pieces right after I sent you guys' boxes out. Heck, if I'd left them in long logs, I coulda made a canoe out of it with the way it came off.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:23 PM
Ken that is awesome! Nice work my freind, you did great!

Corey

Jason Christenson
08-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Ken, for someone far removed from the South you sure are catching on quick to this spinny stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something but what does being from the South have to do with anything? Just curious.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Jason............there is a group of Sawmillcreek turners....I hope I don't leave anyone out ...if I do I apologize.....Travis Stinson.....Keith Burns...Jim Ketron.....Dick Parr......Big Mike.....Dennis Peacock.....Mark Cothren......Rob B........I sure hope I haven't left anyone out.......All of these guys turn extremely well.....a lot of their pieces are "show' quality.....I'm alway telling them that those Southern Boys sure set a high standard when it comes to turning.

Lee DeRaud
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but what does being from the South have to do with anything? Just curious.From Ken's location, just about everybody here is from "The South". :cool:

Forrest Price
08-04-2006, 9:03 PM
Hey folks, this is a beauty for sure! Got to hold it today. It's still moving and doing some neat things, and I sure hope the bark holds and looks like it will.

Ken has a neat process for the bottoms of his bowl too! :p:D:D