PDA

View Full Version : Base for lathe

Julio Navarro
08-01-2006, 1:35 PM
Ok, on the advice of Stu I am posting a desing for the stand for my small lathe with an eye to support a future more substantial lathe.

The design calls for 4x4x1/4 steel tubing. The backbone is 48" long the top of the backbone is at 37" off the floor and the feet are 24" long with 3/8" anchors set into epoxy on the garage slab about 2". The horizontal and vertical members are reinforced with 8"x8"x1/4" angled bracing plates all construction is welded.

Stu suggested sand filling the tubes.

Heres a rendering of the basic design:

any suggestions, ideas?

tod evans
08-01-2006, 1:57 PM
julio, first impression is a wider base with longer triangulation especially if you intend to spin chunks....02 tod

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-01-2006, 2:20 PM
Julio, that looks too much like the stand I just upgraded :o

You want more of an "A" frame.

Like this....

That is Bill Grumbine's lathe and stand, see the "A" frame?

If you have not done so, go look through my

"Noisy Lathe" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39905&page=3) thread.....

Oh, and I was not suggesting you fill the tubes with sand, but put a shelf on the bottom part of the lathe that you can put bags of sand on, to add weight and to dampen vibrations.

The nice thing about the "A" frame is that it is rather lightweight without the sand and lathe and can be moved around if needed.

For dimensions, well you will need to figure out what you might buy for a lathe at some point :D

I'm sure others will chime in here, even if it is to only show you their lathe stands (hint hint guys!!)

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
08-01-2006, 3:01 PM
darn Stu, thats a lot of angles to cut!:eek: But I get the picture.

08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Julio, the more I think about this, the more I think you should wait on the stand, just bolt that little lathe to the top of a bench or a piece of thick plywood and then mount it on a workmate with some bags of sand on the base, something like that, get a motor and belt and see how she spins.

I'd wait to build a stand until you have a lathe worth building one for, trust me, I just got over doing that :o

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
08-02-2006, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the advice Stu. But darn it, I got that welding bug again! and I think I am going to enjoy turning, the bike is almost sold and I think I am going all out on a good lathe.

I watched an episode on DIY of a turner turning a candle stick, it looked great and the wife enjoyed it so I figure I make a few things for her.

Either way its gonna be fun, I can feel it. and I get to weld some more:D

08-02-2006, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the advice Stu. But darn it, I got that welding bug again! and I think I am going to enjoy turning, the bike is almost sold and I think I am going all out on a good lathe.

I watched an episode on DIY of a turner turning a candle stick, it looked great and the wife enjoyed it so I figure I make a few things for her.

Either way its gonna be fun, I can feel it. and I get to weld some more:D
Check you PMs dude :p

Guys, we got another one!! :D:D:D

You know I sold a bike to buy the DVR..... :eek:

Must be a trend! :rolleyes: :)

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
08-02-2006, 9:52 AM
You know I sold a bike to buy the DVR..... :eek:

Must be a trend! :rolleyes: :)

Cheers!

I had to get a new speedometer console for the bike, it was damaged and you couldnt read the milage, I found a used one on *ba* for $100, they are normally $600. I tested it last night and the "new" used one works great so now I can sell the bike and put the money towards a drum sander and a lathe I figure I'll spend about $900 for a girzzly sander and about $1500 for a half way decent lathe (not sure I can do the DVR, though).

The rest of the money goes towards a new sunroom for the house.

BTW

If anyone is interested I have a 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500cc in great condition gets about 40mtg
with only a little over 40,000 miles...