PDA

View Full Version : Plane Till Done, Hung, and Filled

Dave Anderson NH
09-27-2003, 4:40 PM
Mid afternoon the plane till got hung with the assistance from a woodworker living 2 streets away. The project is done, my bench is clear for the first time in recent memory, and at least half of the horizontal surfaces in my shop now have room for other things. As you will see in the photos, the till is already filled and the first photo shows the obligatory end of project wine glass with the planes which won't fit in the till. These and other aquisitions will get another form of storage out of sight which befits their very occasional use. The goal of the till was to put often used tools within easy reach of the bench. Thanks to all of you here for bearing with me as this project moved along. I still haven't figured out how I want to hang the spokeshaves on the right hand ramp which is still empty. This one bears some thought and won't be entered into quickly. Note the lifted ramp in the last photo. The left hand ramp already stores my York Pitch frog for my L-N 4 1/2 and my complete Stanley #45 combination plane. I am truly glad this is done and I'm pretty well satisifed with the results.

jay hanks
09-27-2003, 4:59 PM
Dave, that looks great. I dont often post but enjoy looking at your work. You might want to make another one or two and try ebay, might be able to make some cash for that great idea !!. Jay

Tom Scott
09-27-2003, 6:47 PM
Dave,
Great job as always. The new addition perfectly compliments your previously made saw till.
I bet the left side ramp is plenty heavy with all that iron on it.

Tom

David Klug
09-27-2003, 7:13 PM
Mid afternoon the plane till got hung with the assistance from a woodworker living 2 streets away. The project is done, my bench is clear for the first time in recent memory, and at least half of the horizontal surfaces in my shop now have room for other things. As you will see in the photos, the till is already filled and the first photo shows the obligatory end of project wine glass with the planes which won't fit in the till. These and other aquisitions will get another form of storage out of sight which befits their very occasional use. The goal of the till was to put often used tools within easy reach of the bench. Thanks to all of you here for bearing with me as this project moved along. I still haven't figured out how I want to hang the spokeshaves on the right hand ramp which is still empty. This one bears some thought and won't be entered into quickly. Note the lifted ramp in the last photo. The left hand ramp already stores my York Pitch frog for my L-N 4 1/2 and my complete Stanley #45 combination plane. I am truly glad this is done and I'm pretty well satisifed with the results.

Looks great Dave. I noticed the wall to the left is white. Is it some type of paneling? The reason that I ask is because I am wanting to put some type of paneling in my shop and I haven't figured out what to use.

Dave

harry strasil
09-27-2003, 7:25 PM
Beautiful work Dave, excellent craftmanship and fine looking tools taboot.
Keep up the good work

scott pollack
09-27-2003, 8:08 PM
this is truly spectacular. awesome job dave!! i reckon all i can say is , when i grow up can i have the condo next to the smoothing planes? talk about living right!

scotty

Glenn Clabo
09-27-2003, 8:10 PM
Dave...
Very...very...very...well done and inspiring work.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-27-2003, 8:18 PM
I must echo the response of others here Dave, that is one outstanding storage unit you have there. The design was obviously very well thought out, and it looks to be perfect for it's intended use. Along side your saw till, it just "belongs" there. I am sure you have that dude anchored well to the wall..............I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR that unit if it decided to go south. Just for grins, take a shot at the approximate weight of the unit, fully loaded. Just curious? Very nice work, as usual Dave. Thanks for sharing the photo's with us. :cool:

Terry Quiram
09-27-2003, 8:23 PM
Well Dave you have gone and gotten my wife all fired up again. First the saw till and now this. "You need one of those and one of those other things" she said. "Yes I know" I replied. "You should start today" she says. "What about the things I am doing for you right now"? Oh you better wait until after you finish, but you need one of those. Nice addition to your shop. Whats in the space these planes formerly occupied?

Terry

Dave Anderson NH
09-27-2003, 10:14 PM
If ever there was a case of planned (or was it unplanned) obsolesence, this wall till for the planes fits the bill. As you might have noticed, all but one slot is filled and that already is earmarked for the Shepherd Tool Spiers style infill smoother kit which now sits on my bench. Some of my planes will eventually get less prominent and fancy storage elsewhere in the shop. The wall till was for those planes which will see regular use and needed to be handy to the bench. It was a time consuming but satisfying project for which I will offer attonement starting two weeks from now as I rip out all the wall to wall carpet on the first floor and install Sue's new hardwood flooring. The budget for that project will keep me in Brownie points for a very long time and exceeds my tool budget for the next 3-4 years.

For Tom and Kevin- Yes, the left hinged ramp is plenty heavy, but I can lift it when full though with difficulty. With a Sargent 409, two #5s, a #5 1/2, a #6, a 24" razee, and a #7 jointer, it weighs about 25 pounds. If I had to estimate weight, the empty rack is 80-90 pounds and the "stuffing" is probably another 125 pounds. The rack hangs on a single 36" long French cleat screwed into 3 wall studs with 2 1/2" screws. It also has another 6 screws into the 1by tongue and groove pine.

Dave- The wall to the left of the wall racks is a poured knee wall covered with the tongue and groove pine to mid wall height and capped with a SYP shelf. The framed wall above it is covered with drywall and painted white for light reflection. Only the hand tool wall is pine floor to ceiling.

Terry- Originally the planes were in a set of shelves where the saw till currently resides. The shelves were to far apart and too puny to support the weight. Additionally, they wasted lots of space and many of the palnes didn''t fit right. When the saw till went up the planes migrated to an ugly old formica and steel kitchen table which was intended to serve as an assembly table in the back half of the bench room. I say intended, because the table is too rickety to serve as an assembly table and it became a magnet for junk. I'm sure you know the rules about what happens with unoccupied horizontal surfaces.

I'm hoping that by the end of the winter I will be able to start a new workbench and relegate my current bench to the status of assembly table. The old kitchen table will then become dumpster bait, it's too rickety for any other use and became ours 3rd hand more years ago than I choose to remember.

Jim Becker
09-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Dave, that turned out outstanding! I really like the idea of a "place for everything and everything in its place". It makes things easy to find and keeps them out of harms way. I really like the contrast between the milk paint and the natural wood, too. Thanks...this was an inspiring project.

Tom Stovell
09-28-2003, 9:58 AM
Dave,
Nice work on the storage unit. It beats the heck out of my 'vintage cardboard box' storage system for most of my tools. When I get my shop finished perhaps I'll aspire to something like you've created.

Sort of sets a standard for handplane storage.

Thanks for sharing,

TomS

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Dave
The unit is very nice although a bit plane.
Great work!
Well engineered
Daniel

Carl Eyman
09-28-2003, 1:36 PM
Now you'll have time to go to Wialliamsburg in January, no?
Hope to see you there first session. Great work, but others have told you that. Carl

Dave Anderson NH
09-28-2003, 9:06 PM
I'll be at Williamsburg for the first session in January. I want to learn about clock making. A nice relatively plain cased tall clock would look nice in our living room. On the other hand, a mantle clock might be more practical over the fireplace.

Perry Schmidt
09-29-2003, 1:31 PM
Very very impressive Dave! Nice work - well thought out. And what a collection of planes!

Perry

Lee Thomas
05-03-2006, 7:49 PM
Wow, very nice!! I just had to come over from Woodnet and register just to comment! You have made pretty much the one I have been planing to make myself. What color did you use on that, it's a nice green.

Lee, aka: Firefyter-emt

Mike Wenzloff
05-03-2006, 8:16 PM
Welcome Lee!

It is a really nice set up!

Take care, Mike [MikeW on WN]

Brent Smith
05-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Dave...That looks great. I've been wanting to do something for my own plane mess for a while now. Your post just gave me ideas and inspiration to get going on it.

Roy Wall
05-03-2006, 9:47 PM
Dave,

Looks Beeeuuuuutifullllllllll!! A great compliment to the Saw Till....

Questions:

1) Is the till about 12" deep......to hold any and all planes 4 1/2 or less in length (or shall I say deep) ?

2) Did you just cut "thru dados" for the cubby dividers, then use the back and front trim stips to use as "finish stops"?

3) What are the dividers made of? And what are specifics of how much the "semi-circle" is cut in....to allow easy ergomics of retreiving a plane?

Great Job!!

Maurice Metzger
05-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Dave, that is very very nice. What a great looking wall you've got there.

- Maurice

Michael Gibbons
05-04-2006, 7:18 AM
Jezz Dave, Looks like you finished the till just in time. Nice design.

Louis Bois
05-04-2006, 7:43 AM
Man...I never get tired of looking at these pics. Thanks for bringing it (this post) back to the forefront Michael!!!

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I'd forgotten all about that post since it was so long ago and as I age I increasingly am hampered by CRS. As of today, if I had built it double the size, I still wouldn't have room for all of my plane acquistions.:D

Lee- Welcome to the quiet side of the Creek. I used Lexington Green milk paint from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company and then gave the paint 2 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil to give it some gloss.

Hi Roy- The 40 dados for the dividers are all stopped dados, there is no nosing strip. Because there were so many, I did resort to a tailed apprentice and then stopped the ends with a mallet and chisel. The dividers are mahogany resawn from 5/4 stock to slightly over 1/4" thickness and hand planed to final dimension. The arc was done using the high tech technique of tracing a segment of one of Sue's dinner plates against the end of a piece of tempered hardboard and then copying it to each divider after it had been sawn. The sharp edges were softened with a spokeshave and some sandpaper. The arcs weren't so much for making reaching for a plane easier, though it helps, but rather to soften the look of the little cubbies.

Mike Wenzloff
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, Dave, I go to this thread or your web site every once in a while just to look at it and think about how best to make it fit my needs.

It really is one of the most handsome tills I've seen. Maybe it is the paint/wood combination, I don't really know. It just looks like it belongs.

Take care, Mike

Jerry Olexa
05-04-2006, 1:38 PM
Dave that is a beautiful and functional setup..Looks great...You should be pleased and proud!!

Mark Stutz
05-04-2006, 6:49 PM
It looks even nicer in person!:D

Alan Turner
05-04-2006, 9:32 PM
Dave,
Nice work, as always. You do have a slight addicition problem, but I guess you know that. However, with an old vice waiting in the wings, I do have to regard this in part as workbench avoidance behavior.

Tom Stovell
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
As of today, if I had built it double the size, I still wouldn't have room for all of my plane acquistions.:D

It would seem a picture or two might be appropriate here.....:)

Tom

andy Needles
05-05-2006, 9:56 AM
Beautiful work. The glass of Chardonnay on the work table completes the pic! It looks like a 2004 vintage from the color in the pics:D :D :D !

Alan DuBoff
05-05-2006, 1:09 PM
Very nice, looks like excellent storage for planes!