PDA

View Full Version : Jointers - parallelogram or dovetail ???

George Robin
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Hello all.
I'm now in the market for a jointer. However, I'm a little confused at the two different bed configurations that are around.

Dovetail ways....I've seen the type used on jointers and other equipment and haven't heard of there being any issues associated with this type of design

Parallelogram beds - I've seen these becoming more popular in the past year or so

My question. I haven't seen any write-ups as to which is better than the other, and why. I don't want to go and by an newer style of tool just because it's a new style.

Can anyone give a good description as to which is better and why?

Thank you.
George

Allen Bookout
08-01-2006, 1:11 PM
If your tables are not coplaner or warp in the future the only way to adjust a dovetail way jointer is to shim the outfeed table. This may take the tables out of line with the cutter head which will work but does not seem like a proper fix to me. I had this problem in the past.

This time I got a parrallelogram bed jointer because if it ever needs adjustment it has built in adjustment for all four corners of each table. To me this is much better.

Also the Delta DJ20 has been one of the most popular jointers for a good while and it is a parallelogram unit. So it is a tried and proven system and not some new gimic.

A lot of guys really like their dovetail way jointers and that is fine. If you get a good one you are in business. I just happen to be one of the very few that had problems so it is just a personal thing with me.

Some argue that the table movement is smoother with the parallelogram but I would say that they are about the same as far as I am concerned.

The good news is that nearly everyone seems to really like their jointer, no matter which type it is, so it is hard to go wrong these days.

Allen

Ted Shrader
08-01-2006, 1:14 PM
George -

There are minor practical differences. Because the parallelogram model moves the tables in an arc, the tables can stay closer to the blade through the range of adjustment. The parallelogram model allows faster movement of the table over a given range.

That said, the effect of the differences are minor. The hand crank method of moving the tables is very practical because the operator doesn't usually move the infeed table very much or very often. (Mine stays at a very light cut most of the time. Occasionally, when jointing a lot of rough lumber, it will get moved to a little bit deeper cut.) Certainly the outfeed table, once properly adjusted, is infrequently moved.

The knife to table spacing is a non-issue.

Regards,
Ted

Ron Blaise
08-01-2006, 1:20 PM
If your tables are not coplaner or warp in the future the only way to adjust a dovetail way jointer is to shim the outfeed table. This may take the tables out of line with the cutter head which will work but does not seem like a proper fix to me. I had this problem in the past.

This time I got a parrallelogram bed jointer because if it ever needs adjustment it has built in adjustment for all four corners of each table. To me this is much better.

Also the Delta DJ20 has been one of the most popular jointers for a good while and it is a parallelogram unit. So it is a tried and proven system and not some new gimic.

A lot of guys really like their dovetail way jointers and that is fine. If you get a good one you are in business. I just happen to be one of the very few that had problems so it is just a personal thing with me.

Allen

With you Allen, but you can adjust a dovetail unit and keep it co-plainer if need be. Infact the American WoodWorker Mag. had an article about how to do it just recently. Having said that it is much easier to adjust a parrallelogram unit such as yours. I have a dovetail unit and so far have had no problems. But that's just my 2 cents worth.:)

Rick Lizek
08-01-2006, 1:21 PM
Parallogram jointer tables have been around for many years now. Originally found on the high end European machines like Martin, SCMI, etc. Deltas DJ series have used them for at least 20 years now.
Much superior to the dovetailed ways jointers. Parallogram tables alow four point independent adjustment of the each table. You cannot do this on a dovetailed ways type machine. At best you can shim a sagging table. Also if a table is warped on a PJ the table can be removed, reground and replaced. On a dovetailed jointer the tables are ground in place mounted on the jointer main base. You cannot replace a DT jointer table with out grinding the unit as a whole.
Also the throat on a PJ swing in an arc and keeps the throat tighter. A dovetailed jointer the throat is a bit wider and a lot of folks consider this to be the main reason for the parallelpgram to be better but this is a minor point. The main reason it's better is the adjustability. I much prefer the inclines on the old Oliver and Crescent jointer. Adjusts the same as a parallogram but much faster to remove and replace the tables by far.

Allen Bookout
08-01-2006, 1:49 PM
With you Allen, but you can adjust a dovetail unit and keep it co-plainer if need be. Infact the American WoodWorker Mag. had an article about how to do it just recently.
I did not mean to imply that dovetail way jointer tables could not be made to line up with each other if they are not warped. They can certainly be shimmed but to me that was a pain in the tail and you have to be careful that they do not move when you need to adjust your outfeed table. Sometimes I have a hard time clearly expressing myself so you will have to try to forgive me in my old age.

Also, spelling is not my strong suit either.

Allen

George Robin
08-01-2006, 2:02 PM
Thanks guys....looks like I haven't paid enough attention (I've been told that before) !!

Very informative descriptions. I appreciate it.

Looks like my initial decision was what I should have gone with.

BTW, I'm leaning towards the Grizzly 8". I've read that people seem to really like them.

Thanks again.
George

Allen Bookout
08-01-2006, 4:41 PM
George,

Just do a forum search for whatever model that you are interested in and you will get a ton of information. I think that you get better results if you just use the model number and not the manufacturer.

Allen

Ron Blaise
08-01-2006, 9:20 PM
No problem Allan I doan spel 2 gud meself. And I took no offense in your post. In fact I thought you did quite well,,,,,, for an old man. Even better than this old man!