PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Vase

Gary Max
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Made some time yesterday to play with my new steady rest. I wanted to make sure that it worked-- so I keep the design simple. The vase is 12 inches tall and the top is 7 inches wide. This is by far the lagest Vase that I have turned so far. The finish is just some BLO homebrew mix that I copied from Mr. Hart. I only sanded down to 220---big mistake--- I needed to take the extra time and sand all the way to 600 grit but it was almost a 100 in the shop yesterday and I wasn't having much fun.

Rich Stewart
08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Nice vase. How did you hollow it down so deep? My shop is also VERY hot right now. Spending my time in the pool. Get sweat running in my eyes and sawdust sticking to me. No fun. I hope nothing blows up in there. I have a thermometer in there and it says 100 pretty constant.

Gary Max
08-01-2006, 2:07 PM
Rich the only pool here is the one where I was standing---I must of lost 5 lbs yesterday alone. This is the reason I built the Blue steady rest to support the end of the vase while I was hollowing it out.

Frank Fusco
08-01-2006, 6:12 PM
That cedar has some nice figure in it. Good job. Cedar can be fun or heartbreak to turn. It is soft but fragile. A catch will send pieces flying. I have to be careful turning it as I am sensitive to the dust. My Dust Bee Gone mask is a must. Nice work.

Tom Sherman
08-01-2006, 9:14 PM
Gary that Cedar is looking good looks like the SR works just fine.

Ernie Nyvall
08-01-2006, 9:42 PM
12" deep, wow Gary you must have a pretty good hollowing setup too.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-01-2006, 9:47 PM
I like the vase, Gary. As far as the finish goes; if your not happy with it, you can always sand it down to the 600 grit and re-finish it.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Gary that is a mighty fine looking vase. I like cedar. Great job.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-02-2006, 3:41 PM
Looks great, Gary. I'm glad that steady is working well for you.

I also gotta ask---what tool setup did you use (besides the steady) to hollow so deep?

Mark Cothren
08-02-2006, 4:47 PM
That's a big ol' deep vase, Gary! A beautiful piece of Cedar, too. I love the look of Cedar, but sure can't take the smell very long inside my shop...:eek: It gives me a headache after about 30 minutes of smellin' it.

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:24 PM
Gary that is a good looking vase. Ilove the shape and some great looking cedar!

corey