PDA

View Full Version : What we have been up to - cleaning up...

Al Navas
08-01-2006, 8:17 AM
...the finishing room. A lot of work outdoors kept us out of the shop for quite a while, but now trying to get into something resembling a routine :) .

HAD to clean up, since the spray booth is now finished. So, LOML and I took the OLD tools into the main area of the shop and put them on the walls on pegboard, where we can reach and use them as needed.

Thanks for looking. ----- Al

Left to right along the North wall in the shop:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Planes-1-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Oldtools-1.jpg

And left to right along the South wall:

Some old farm tools along with some old saws:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Sawsandgardentools.jpg

LOML loves mallets - I truly have to be very careful http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif !

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Oldmallets.jpg

AND the 12' x 15' finishing room now finally looks like this:

First the spray booth - done with hinged insulation boards, explosion-proof exhaust motor although I will be spraying ONLY waterborne coatings, a nifty little turntable we found at an auction, and filter at the exhaust fan inlet:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Finishingroom-spraybooth-1.jpg

Cabinets to store finishing materials such as brushes, etc. - all cabinets from a garage sale:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop%20Tools/Finishingroom-cabinets-1.jpg

tod evans
08-01-2006, 8:35 AM
waaaay to clean al! better get busy:)
looks good. tod

Tom Hamilton
08-01-2006, 8:48 AM
Nice looking Al, congrats.

Tells us about the space. Is it a separate building from the house or a converted space in the house...or something else.

Sure looks like a comfortable place to hang out.

Best regards, Tom

Bob Noles
08-01-2006, 9:42 AM
Al,

That is knock dead beautiful. I love a well organised work area and I don't mind admitting that I am jealous of what you have going for you :D

Super job and thanks for sharing where we can steal some ideas from you. :p

Bart Leetch
08-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Lookin great......

Just the the right of the last cabinet where the lights are setting looks to be a good place for the refer theres even a plug....so where are you going to put the stove?:D :eek:

Tyler Howell
08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Very Nice Al,
Watch you precious antiques and users on those peg boards. Some of my stuff on long pegs like to dive off on to the concrete floors.:eek: :(
Some of my "Just for show" stuff is secured with zip ties.

Wonderful collection.

Al Navas
08-01-2006, 4:38 PM
Tod, I did manage to get some sawdust in the shop today. It is GREAT to be busy making stuff.

Tom, the shop is about 150 feet North of the house in a separate building we had a contractor build for us two years ago. It is 30' x 45', with both A/C and heating, concrete slab, fifteen each 8-foot T-8 lighting fixtures, vinyl garage flooring on top of medium density carpet padding, and 8 windows that allow us to have a nice view of the surroundings. You can view some additional photos here (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/Shop/).

Bob, there really should be nothing to envy - after all the long years LOML and I spent trekking around from place to place to my different job locations, it IS nice to settle down and enjoy the fruits of those years.

Bart, the fridge is not shown in any of the photos, but it is in the main shop area, close to the big tools. We keep only lemonade and decaf Pepsi in the shop, along with some Trail Mix. The other stuff is for use in the house only... Oh, NO stove here :o ...

Tyler, thanks for the warning about the peg board. I will definitely keep an eye on it and will take action if any of it looks weak in any spot. The zip tie suggestion is terrific!

Thanks for looking! We have had a great journey so far :D .

Al

Jerry Olexa
08-01-2006, 11:03 PM
That is an interesting shop filled with things gathered over the years. Makes it more valuable that way. I used to live in Chesterfield, Mo. I'm v envious. Nicely done!!!

Allen Bookout
08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Al,

That is a really great shop. It is like the interior of a real nice home. The cabinets really add to the pleasantry.

I know that you are chawing at the bit to get busy in there but I have a couple of questions if you have time. How did you hindge the insulation boards? Tape or did you figure out someway to use hindges? What are you using for a filter in front of the exhaust fan? Is the purpose of the brown paper taped to the interior of the booth to keep the walls of the booth clean like disposable spray booth walls or something else?

The insulation boards seem like a real good idea.

I am just curious as I need to set up something in the near future.

Thanks for any information!

Allen

P.S. Many years ago I used to shoot touch and gos at your local airport in large red and white airplanes. That is beautiful country. (In the summertime)

Al Navas
08-02-2006, 6:51 AM
Jerry, we enjoy the old tools, and use some of them regularly as needed. We still hunt for them occasionally at auctions, garage sales, and flea markets. But we have not yet made it to Chesterfield :( , which is about 4 hours to the East of us.

Allen,

The insulation boards are hinged with wide self-stick Velcro strips, available at the BORG; where the vertical boards did not meet closely enough, I used duct tape to bring the edges of the boards together while still allowing easy movement. The top board is just sitting on the other boards, to allow easy opening and closing of the side boards, to adjust to the size of the workpiece being sprayed.
The insulation boards were the lightest and easiest to handle, as well as (possibly) the cheapest alternative to plywood.
The filter is just an A/C - furnace filter. By the time any overspray hits the filter it should be dry, and likely to deposit on the filter. I have been checking the blades on the fan for build-up and have not seen any yet.
The brown paper is just "construction paper" from the BORG. I use it to adjust the amount of spray material, prior to spraying the workpiece. The surface of the paper wets really well when you spray on it, and thus makes it easy to adjust the HVLP spray gun. On the other hand, the surface of the insulation boards is slick and does not let me know how well or how poorly I am spraying.
NW Missouri: Right now the temps are hot, hot hot, much like the rest of the country, Allen. But it IS gorgeous around here most of the time. It is our retirement home and we are enjoying it immensely.Thanks for looking!

Al

Allen Bookout
08-02-2006, 2:46 PM
Great explanations! I think that I will try the same setup.

Thanks Al!!!!!!

Ryan Lee
08-02-2006, 3:41 PM
Your finishing room looks way nicer and is way bigger than my kitchen. I'm not really sure how that makes me feel! Nice by the way.

Bruce Volden
08-02-2006, 4:23 PM
Al, I don't know what I would do if I had such a nice clean, organized shop!!!??? I guess I'd have to go elsewhere as my wife would be out in it all the time. Not that I don't love my wife, she just doesn't appreciate my eccentricity (big word for MESSY shop excuse). As it is now she calls it the "He Man Women Haters Club" ;>) Very nice 'tho.Bruce

Al Navas
08-02-2006, 8:32 PM
Your finishing room looks way nicer and is way bigger than my kitchen. I'm not really sure how that makes me feel! Nice by the way.
Ryan, without a stove I cannot cook. So you ARE way ahead of me, for sure :cool: !!! All we have in the shop is a microwave, which is not in the finishing room.

Oh so nice and tidy!!

Now is that a combo kitchen/shop?
LOL, Sharon. You are kidding me, right? Just in case you are not, the 12' X 15' finishing room is in the SE corner of the shop, which is 30' X 45', and includes the finishing room. The shop is 150 feet North of our home.

...I guess I'd have to go elsewhere as my wife would be out in it all the time...
Thanks for the nice comments, Bruce. LOML and I work best when together in the shop, even if are not doing anything related to the other's project(s). Right now she is working on Xmas toys for the St Joseph Woodworkers Guild, and I am building a small prototype chest for a (potential) client.

Again, thank you for the the kind words.

Al

Steve Clardy
08-02-2006, 9:33 PM
Great looking, clean, [lots cleaner than mine] shop:)

Al Navas
08-03-2006, 2:03 PM
Great looking, clean, [lots cleaner than mine] shop:)
You should see it today - we have been working on two separate projects, and we have a LOT of chips and sawdust. It is WONDERFUL to make sawdust again several hours each day, rather than the outdoor stuff all day. Last night's storm knocked a bunch of tree limbs and I spent the first 1-1/2 hours this morning picking up the debris; at least the temps broke, and it was only in the 60s when I went outside. The 1.6 inches of rain WILL help for sure!

Thanks for looking.

Al

glenn bradley
08-03-2006, 4:19 PM
Do you want to adopt? I'm available and I don't eat much. Great lookin' shop!!!

Steve Clardy
08-03-2006, 4:23 PM

I was thinking Al could come cleanup my shop.:D

He's just a few hours away;) :D

Course He might have to stay here for a month or two.:o

Al Navas
08-03-2006, 6:21 PM
:D Thanks, Glenn; now that you bring it up, maybe we could install that stove mentioned by at least two people above... :eek: OR, there is still some room in the little shed where the riding mowers are kept - LOL.

I was thinking Al could come cleanup my shop...
Steve, next time we are headed South we might stop by to say "hello". Don't know when that will be, but will keep it in mind - something like a Lake-of-the-Ozarkspalooza? I sure hope the weather last night spared you any damage.

Al

Steve Clardy
08-03-2006, 6:42 PM
Sure. Stop by anytime.:) Just pm me for directions, etc, when you are coming south.

Had no bad weather last night. Just the same old hot and sticky.

We've had some around, but not to close.:)

Sure could use some rain. Can't keep enough water on the garden.:(

I milled up some walnut gunstock material several years ago, 1992-93, at St. Joesph.

Father and son team there had a logging, milling, drying business just out of town a ways. Can't remember the name:confused:
Son's first name was Steve
His Dad was a Hoot:eek: :D

Mark Rios
08-03-2006, 6:47 PM
Hey everybody, sorry I'm a little late reading this thread about the new store. I was in that showroom before; got some good deals on a couple of hand tools.

Didn't see very many other customers though. Is the guy offering any more good deals on the big machines?

:D :D :D
Congrats on the newly finished digs there Al. Very nice all the way through.

Steve Clardy
08-03-2006, 7:04 PM
Hey everybody, sorry I'm a little late reading this thread about the new store. I was in that showroom before; got some good deals on a couple of hand tools.

Didn't see very many other customers though. Is the guy offering any more good deals on the big machines?

:D :D :D
Congrats on the newly finished digs there Al. Very nice all the way through.

:confused: Store :confused:
Been into the Moxie Mark?;) :D :D

Al Navas
08-03-2006, 8:30 PM
... I milled up some walnut gunstock material several years ago, 1992-93, at St. Joseph.

Father and son team there had a logging, milling, drying business just out of town a ways. Can't remember the name:confused:
Son's first name was Steve
His Dad was a Hoot...
I am sure glad you did not get some of the BAD winds that some of WW Guild members had, Steve. Busted trees and long clean-up they said.

And thanks for the invite!

I think you are remembering the old Simpson Sawmill? I have bought quite a bit cherry there - VERY reasonable! And yes, they still provide a LOT of walnut all over the world. The last time I was there to get some cherry they were shipping what looked like a boatload of walnut to Asia.

We will give you a shout when we are planning to head in your general direction. THANKS!!!

Al

Al Navas
08-03-2006, 8:37 PM

Didn't see very many other customers though. Is the guy offering any more good deals on the big machines? ...
Mark, you had me going there for a while, until I scrolled down!

Thanks for your nice words. And, of course, if you are interested in anything in the shop, we will cut you a special deal: Sale price is 120% of our purchase price, plus shipping, and "special handling" charges to be disclosed after charges are applied and you receive the merchandise :D .

Now, who could refuse a deal like that???

Al

Steve Clardy
08-03-2006, 8:53 PM
I am sure glad you did not get some of the BAD winds that some of WW Guild members had, Steve. Busted trees and long clean-up they said.

And thanks for the invite!

I think you are remembering the old Simpson Sawmill? I have bought quite a bit cherry there - VERY reasonable! And yes, they still provide a LOT of walnut all over the world. The last time I was there to get some cherry they were shipping what looked like a boatload of walnut to Asia.

We will give you a shout when we are planning to head in your general direction. THANKS!!!

Al

Yep. Thats it. Simpson.

I spent 2 1/2 days there cutting up walnut crotches for gunstock material going to American Walnut.
They were digging out all their cutoffs that came from the logs. Out of piles of waste, sawdust, etc. Sure were dirty. Went through a lot of blades on that job. Didn't pay that good, so I didn't pursue it anymore.