PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Wooly Mammoth

Keith Outten
08-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Just for fun!

The Wooly Mammoth was vector cut from 1/4" white acrylic and is 13" tall and 20" long.

William Desrochers
08-01-2006, 8:19 AM
pretty cool! Where do you get the dinosaur layouts?

Ken Salisbury
08-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Keith:

You gotta get a hold of yourself. It looks really good and inovative but I don't think you will ever sell it. Use your time for making signs.:D :) :p

Shaddy Dedmore
08-01-2006, 3:31 PM
You can get the mammoth from Epilog Laser here (http://www.epiloglaser.com/sample_club.htm)

Shaddy

Al Mutairi
08-01-2006, 4:37 PM
The one at Epilog site is designed for 1/8" material but the one made by Keith is 1/4" . I am sure keith has modified the design to suit the thicker material.

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2006, 4:40 PM
If you have a storefront something like that is a good attention-getter, sit it one the counter and people will remember that you have a laser next time they are thinking of how to do a project.

Dave Jones
08-01-2006, 4:51 PM
If you just select all the parts in the drawing and double their size they work fine with 1/4" material.

Keith Outten
08-01-2006, 6:09 PM
Joe is Right!

These kinds of projects are great attention getters. They are also marketable to stores as decorations or displays but probably not something you would sell to the general public.

Dave is Right!

I simply doubled the drawing size which accomplished two things...it made the skeleton larger and allowed me to use thicker material which I think is more realistic. The caption on the Wooly Mammoth will be "Class of 2007, BC" with the appropriate school logo of course.

As an add-on to this thread but along the same lines I made a huge cinder block awhile back, you might remember pictures that I posted of the block being machined on my ShopBot. I sent the 46" long cinder block down to the local truck bed liner folks and had it covered with the spray on bed liner coating. I picked the cinder block up this afternoon and it is just awesome, the perfect coating that will protect the foam core and it added a lot of strength as well. These kinds of oddball projects are actually inexpensive marketing...and they work for me.

----------------------------------

Imagine a twelve foot tall TRex coated with the bed liner stuff that you can lease to companies who are having an open house or are trying to attract attention for some event. You could hang a sign in TRex's arms and viola... you have a 3D sign you can lease or sell that is a real attention getter.

Ken,

I never quit making signs, in fact I picked up a sheet of gold mirror acrylic this afternoon that will soon be laser cut for some signs I will be starting this evening. I think black acrylic backing material that is contored to the script font should do the trick :)

Oh I also found plans for a Raptor and a Shark, Trex I will have to purchase the plans from B.C. Bones.

It's about Marketing!

Dave Jones
08-01-2006, 6:39 PM
There's a free T-Rex on the LaserPro site:

http://www.laserproi.com/en/engr_showcase_detail.php?ID=English_040909051116

Dave Jones
08-01-2006, 6:51 PM
Just noticed there's also one on the Epilog site:

http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_dino.htm

Bruce Page
08-01-2006, 9:24 PM
Keith, thay is really cool. I bet the local middle schools would love them!

Keith Outten
08-02-2006, 6:27 AM
I have the TRex from Epilog's Sample Club but I like the detail of the B.C. Bones plan much better. I found this pic on another forum, I believe it is the B.C. Bones version but I'm not sure.

Painting has been an issue for me for these kinds of projects that would see a lot of exterior service. Considering how much plywood it will take to machine a skeleton that would be 12 foot tall it has to be protected from the weather. The Truck bed liner stuff is perfect with one exception, it isn't available in my area in a white or beige color. I expect that paint would not wear well, assembly and disassembly would wear the paint coating at the connection points over time. If I can't find a better solution then I may coat it with bed liner material then paint the appropriate top coat to get the right color.

Bruce,

If the local middle schools in my area wanted to borrow one of these I would loan it to them for free, the advertising value would be significant and probably bring in plenty of new sign work. I'm testing the waters with the small scale acrylic skeletons right now, the feedback I have received so far has been very positive. I have also known automotive dealers that would pay $2,000.00 per weekend to rent large displays.

Below is a pic I found in my travels, sorry I can't remember the authors name.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-02-2006, 1:35 PM
Does BC sell vector plans, or do you make your own from the paper blueprints. I don't see where they sell the plans themselves, just the kits.

Just wondering

Shaddy

David Harvey
08-02-2006, 4:47 PM
Very cool Keith!
I did one out of clear 1/8" acrylic a couple years ago which stood about 8" high...never could figure out what to do with it. But a large one made out of sturdy material would be a great attention getter for other businesses. It would definitely draw attention to the signage hanging from it.
Now that I have a ShopBot, I could actually do the bigger version...hmmm. Have to think on this one.:rolleyes:

Dave

Keith Outten
08-02-2006, 6:24 PM
Does BC sell vector plans, or do you make your own from the paper blueprints. I don't see where they sell the plans themselves, just the kits.

Just wondering

Shaddy

Shaddy,

I think the B.C. Bones Dinos are just puzzle kits. I expect that a bit of tracing, scanning and vector conversion will be necessary before a large model can be cut on the ShopBot. Unfortunately this means the vector drawings can't be shared either since the plans are copy protected.

Keith Outten
09-04-2006, 3:41 AM
I just received a book called "Make Your Own Dinosaurs" I ordered from Fox Chapel Publishing ($14.95). The book has seven dinosaur plans which I will have to scan and convert to vector drawings so I can cut them via Laser or CNC. These are BC Bones plans, just the drawings not the kits. According to the book you are allowed to produce only three copies of each plan for personal use per the copywrite.

More Dinosaurs are coming soon :)