PDA

View Full Version : You turners are really starting to burn my buns.........

Gord Graff
09-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi All,

I can't believe that there are 7, count em, 7, turning threads on the forum today. I don't turn at all, I prefer to do flat work but with all of these wonderful turnings that you guys are doing I'm beginning to see the light. Any more of this turning stuff and I'll have to consider buying a lathe.

You fellows certainly do nice work, keep it up and keep posting it. I'm getting the turning itch, and starting to “turn” towards the other side.

All the best
Gord

Tom Sweeney
09-27-2003, 12:53 PM
NOT :p

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED :D

Seriously - try it you'll like it!

Scott Greaves
09-27-2003, 1:35 PM
Hi Gord!

I've been enjoying the flat work more this last year. But that can be pretty intense! I started a project of three chests of drawers last Spring, but have slacked off over the Summer. Don't you just get to the point sometimes that you need a little respite from the "big" project? Penturning! It is fast, it is easy, and it uses up some of your scraps from the big projects. Take an hour off from those hand cut dovetails and turn a pen! You'll be glad you did! :D

Scott.

Lloyd Robins
09-27-2003, 1:50 PM
Hi Gord!

I've been enjoying the flat work more this last year. But that can be pretty intense! I started a project of three chests of drawers last Spring, but have slacked off over the Summer. Don't you just get to the point sometimes that you need a little respite from the "big" project? Penturning! It is fast, it is easy, and it uses up some of your scraps from the big projects. Take an hour off from those hand cut dovetails and turn a pen! You'll be glad you did! :D

Scott.

What lathe do you use for turning your pens?

David Rose
09-27-2003, 7:32 PM
Don't listen to these "round" guys! Don't succum! Keep "resenting" all their beaut... I mean... horrible posts! You can do it! I think they all belong to Turners Anonymous. It gives them some release to know they've drawn in another REAL woodworker! :D :D

David who is getting serious withdrawal from NO woodworking for 2 weeks waiting for the termite people :mad:

Bill Esposito
09-28-2003, 9:26 AM
Gord,

I've only been turning for a couple of months but the main attraction for me is the time to finish a project is much shorter than with flat work. Work has had me on the road quite a bit for the last six months and with turning I can spend 4 to 8 hours in the shop and come out with a finished project.

I dont find it as relaxing as building furniture but maybe that will change as I get better at it.

Once the humidity drops (which should be real soon now) I'll have to start looking for plans for a cradle as that will be my next furniture project.

Scott Greaves
09-28-2003, 10:47 PM
What lathe do you use for turning your pens?
Hi Lloyd!

Well, most of my pens have been turned on a Jet Mini. I love it! It's a great lathe!

But, I have to admit there is a new love in my life - a Oneway 1224! I've been turning on it since May, and it is a dream! Don't get me wrong, I still have my Jet Mini, and it still gets used, just more by relatives now than by me. :)

Scott.