PDA

View Full Version : question about finishing

Ben Werner
07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm planing on making a honey dipper + honey jar set. For the Honey jar bottom in which honey would be stored what finish would you guys suggest? :confused:

oh and remember this is NOT supposed to harm the eaters of the honey :p

I was thinking of either:
A: mineral oil then lots of beeswax, and then more beeswax
B:leaving the wood bare so the honey finishes it in time.

If you have any other suggestions please tell me!!
Ben

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I'd finish it with beeswax. It's pretty easy to find locally for fairly cheap since there are bee keepers around the area. I believe I buy the wax for around $2 per pound. Smells real good too. :D

Horst Hohoff
08-01-2006, 1:32 AM
Hi Ben,
For the inside I would use either pure beeswax or leave it bare and let the honey do the job. For the outside I would use carnauba wax or an oil finish which is food save when dry.
Horst

Ben Werner
08-01-2006, 2:05 PM
hmmm sounds good.... any other suggestions???

Ernie Nyvall
08-01-2006, 8:57 PM
Ben, I've read where walnut oil is good for a food finish, but I use waz mixed with mineral oil. Just make sure you raise the grain several times...until it doesn't raise any more...on anything you are going to wash later on.

Ernie

Rob Bourgeois
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
ITs honey..honey is made by bees...go with bee's wax...makes too much sense not to. :)

Gary DeWitt
08-02-2006, 2:02 AM
Beeswax sounds good, applied whenever you have to wash it. Here is a link to some quality walnut oil. I've used it with success, and my daughter uses it on bowls I've made her and swears by it.
http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/finishes.htm

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this site or Mike Mahoney