PDA

View Full Version : walnut cabinet completion

John Piwaron
07-31-2006, 10:18 PM
My turning tools needed a home. Tired of having them lying about.

I'm nobodies turner by any means. I turned the knobs. I find I'm more likely to do enjoy things when the tools are neatly arranged.

I found a cabinet in FWW a few months ago that seemed a little narrow but otherwise it looked like just the thing. So I modified it by making it double wide and put in mounting for the tools. The long gouges are held in with a bunch of magnets at the top. The doors have racks for smaller tools.

The wood is walnut, the finish is 2 coats of brushing lacquer over 1 coat of waterlox. Everything is solid except the back which is walnut veneer plywood.

Jim Becker
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
That's one beautiful cabinet!!

Cecil Arnold
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
John, that's much too nice a piect to have in the shop. My wife would take it away from me and find a place for it in the house.

John Piwaron
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I started that cabinet last fall and almost had 'er done when wifey decided we were going to redecorate the living room. That took a couple of months with a lot of stripping of finish off the stairs to the attic, replacement of carpet and so on.

Anyway, SWMBO is getting that oval mirror David Marks made on Wood Works. She says I can keep the cabinet.

Steve Roxberg
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Very pretty cabinet. Are the door panels solid wood, or plywood. The grain on them is amazing.

Chris Barton
07-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Very classy!

Mark Singer
08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Real Quality! Very nice!!!

Gail O'Rourke
08-01-2006, 7:19 AM
Gorgeous cabinet, yes too nice for the shop. A great place for your tools though.

Andy Hoyt
08-01-2006, 8:26 AM
Excellent work! Well done.

Should probably bite my tongue and shut up, but that's not my gig. Those look like magnets holding the tools upright. Makes sense and works well; but I've read on numerous occasions that over time the tools will become magnetized themselves and this - in turn - can present issues with the tool rest. The tool won't glide easily causing you to apply force where, when, and in a direction you shouldn't. And that could lead to an "event".

John Piwaron
08-01-2006, 9:03 AM
Yes, the door panels are solid walnut. 1/2" thick and pinned in the center, no glue. The door frames are held together by mortise and tenon.

Andy, the tools are held in place with magnets. I can bring them to work from time to time and put them on the demagnetizer in my employers tool room or maybe go so far as to buy my own demagnetizer.

Come to think of it, I already own a big hand held demagnetizer from the days when I would bulk erase a VHS tape. Radio Shack used to have those.

Michael Stafford
08-01-2006, 9:11 AM
Beautiful John! What an excellent place for a craftsman to keep his fine tools. Wonderful!

Frank Fusco
08-01-2006, 9:31 AM
Yer makin' me feel guilty. That's just too beautiful. My lathe tools just lay on a dusty shelf.

Martin Lutz
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
nice, nice, nice! What a great addition to your shop. I agree with Cecil. It would probably become a curio cabinet or something unless I built it in secret and epoxied it to the wall.:)

Shelley Bolster
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
The message is gone, so am I

Ron Blaise
08-01-2006, 1:28 PM
My turning tools needed a home. Tired of having them lying about.

I'm nobodies turner by any means. I turned the knobs. I find I'm more likely to do enjoy things when the tools are neatly arranged.

I found a cabinet in FWW a few months ago that seemed a little narrow but otherwise it looked like just the thing. So I modified it by making it double wide and put in mounting for the tools. The long gouges are held in with a bunch of magnets at the top. The doors have racks for smaller tools.

The wood is walnut, the finish is 2 coats of brushing lacquer over 1 coat of waterlox. Everything is solid except the back which is walnut veneer plywood.

Solid Walnut? Shame on you :D Nice,,,,,,,very nice tool cab; but if you had just gone all the way,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Randy Long
08-11-2006, 6:25 PM
Hi,
That is real nice. want to make me one? HaHa

Paul Canaris
08-11-2006, 7:19 PM
Very very nice

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 7:29 PM
Nice! Any turner would love that!!

Corey

John Piwaron
08-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Hey Ron,

I did go farther. See the two rectangular holes at the bottom inside? Well, a couple of days following my taking the photos, I made two drawers to fit in there. Also solid walnut dovetailed together. Now the miscellaneous lathe parts have somewere to live. Like the chuck wrench, the knockout bar, etc.

John Miliunas
08-12-2006, 10:38 AM
That is sweet, John! All I have is a couple boards with a bunch 'o holes drilled in them! :o If I made something that nice for my shop, the LOML would certainly demand some additional cabinetry for the house! :rolleyes: BTW, where exactly in SE Wisconsin are you? I think you mentioned it before but, I suffer from short term memory loss! :D :cool:

John Piwaron
08-12-2006, 10:52 AM
The south side of Milwaukee. From my backyard I can see parts of the north edge of Mitchell Field. I'm at the part of the airport where they put up the aircraft maintenance hangar on the northwest corner a couple of years ago.

John Miliunas
08-12-2006, 11:02 AM
The south side of Milwaukee. From my backyard I can see parts of the north edge of Mitchell Field. I'm at the part of the airport where they put up the aircraft maintenance hangar on the northwest corner a couple of years ago.

Cool! We used to live in Ives Grove for a while, many moons ago. Equally as long ago, I worked on S 27th St., at what was then a "Playback" electronics store. My SIL lives in New Berlin and we make it out there every now and again. If you ever make it out to the Spring Green area, give me a holler, so you can swing by and get the nickel tour! :) :cool: