PDA

View Full Version : I did something really dumb............

Richard Jones
07-31-2006, 9:38 PM
Turned out a beautiful 12" diameter plate from Brazilian cherry, thought I grabbed the wipe-on poly, but no, it was Minwax Antique Oil...............:o

If I let it dry well, do you think it would still take the poly? Really wanted to try it for this plate, one of a set of 3.................

Thanks.

Rich in VA

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-01-2006, 3:03 AM
I don't know about compatibility, but I'd almost suggest using a buffing sequence since you've already got a Antique Oil base. Is the wipe-on poly Minwax branded as well? I'm sure others here know, but if it is Minwax, you might want to check with the manufacturer.

Gary DeWitt
08-01-2006, 3:36 AM
I have heard of using poly over oil a number of times in regard to flat work. The oil is allowed to cure for at least a week before any furthur finishing.
May I suggest you take a piece of the same wood (if you have one) and sand and finish it the same way you plan to finish your turning? If you don't test your finish on scrap, you WILL be testing it on a finished piece...

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2006, 8:59 AM
Yuppers....mix in an equal amount of the antique oil with the Oil Based Poly, you know, something like 1 ounce of oil, 1 ounce of oil based poly and then mix in an equal amount of mineral spirits. Apply generously, then take the same wet rag / cloth and wipe it down again and let sit over night. 2 coats should do it. Just don't mix a lot of it as it will set up on you in a few days, even in the jar. :)

Ken Salisbury
08-01-2006, 9:09 AM
Turned out a beautiful 12" diameter plate from Brazilian cherry, thought I grabbed the wipe-on poly, but no, it was Minwax Antique Oil...............:o

If I let it dry well, do you think it would still take the poly? Really wanted to try it for this plate, one of a set of 3.................

Thanks.

Rich in VA

Sure it will, done it a 100 times.

Richard Jones
08-01-2006, 2:52 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try............

Rich in VA