PDA

View Full Version : Nooitgedagt Planes?

Jeff Kurtz
09-27-2003, 9:28 AM
Has anyone ever heard of or used a Nooitgedagt plane? I have one of their rabbet planes, which I prefer to my Stanley #78, so when I found one of their smoothers on eBay yesterday for a reasonable price ($39), I thought I'd give one a try.

At 180mm, which I think is about the size of a #3, it may be a bit small for may hands. What concerns me is the wedge. I wonder if the iron will seat properly with the center open the way it is. Will let you know how it works out.

Jeff

Doug Littlejohn
10-01-2003, 5:00 PM
I can't say much about their planes as I have no first (or any for that matter) hand experience with them.
However, quite some time ago (say about a year) some of their chisels made their way onto Ebay. It was the concensus of many neaders on a couple of different forums (ncluding the pond) that they represented a very good value for the $$.

Extending then to now, I would think that it would be hard to go wrong acquiring their planes.

Jeff Kurtz
10-02-2003, 9:21 AM
Plane arrived yesterday in good shape. Bottom needs a bit of sanding and the iron, which is much heavier than that on my Stanleys, needs honing - of course. Will see how it works this weekend.

BTW, if anyone is interested, they still have a couple of them left. Here's the link. http://www.stores.ebay.com/sell2all/plistings/list/all/dept4/index.html?col=4&dir=1

Jeff

Gene Collison
10-12-2003, 6:40 PM
Plane arrived yesterday in good shape. Bottom needs a bit of sanding and the iron, which is much heavier than that on my Stanleys, needs honing - of course. Will see how it works this weekend.

BTW, if anyone is interested, they still have a couple of them left. Here's the link. http://www.stores.ebay.com/sell2all/plistings/list/all/dept4/index.html?col=4&dir=1

Jeff

Jeff, how did you come out with the Nooitgedagt plane, I have a bid on one on ebay right now. A 240MM one. They look very much like the ECE to me. Do you know where it's made?
Don't worry about the wedge not touching the middle of the iron, if it did it would have to be dead flat and wood isn't likely to stay that way. It is purposely designed this way.

Gene

Jeff Kurtz
10-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Gene,

Quite happy with it so far. The design of the blade incorporates a cap iron, the nut of which protrudes upward, which necessitates the open area in the wedge. Since I first posted this, I found other European planes with a similar wedge design. (I think Garrett Hack pictures one in The Handplane Book.) The only other thing I still have to do with it is a bit of filing to relieve the rough edges on the rear and make it conform a bit better to my hand.

I think you'll find the steel a bit harder than that used on Stanley's, which makes honing a bit more dificult. On the other hand, it seems to retain a sharp edge longer. (Always a trade-off.)

It's made in the Netherlands.

Jeff

Gene Collison
10-17-2003, 6:35 PM
Gene,

Quite happy with it so far. The design of the blade incorporates a cap iron, the nut of which protrudes upward, which necessitates the open area in the wedge. Since I first posted this, I found other European planes with a similar wedge design. (I think Garrett Hack pictures one in The Handplane Book.) The only other thing I still have to do with it is a bit of filing to relieve the rough edges on the rear and make it conform a bit better to my hand.

I think you'll find the steel a bit harder than that used on Stanley's, which makes honing a bit more dificult. On the other hand, it seems to retain a sharp edge longer. (Always a trade-off.)

It's made in the Netherlands.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the info, mine is on it's way. It should be here Monday maybe.

Gene