PDA

View Full Version : Freehand counter sink bit opinions

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 4:09 PM
Do you have a counter sink bit that works well for you freehand. I have tried single flute and multi flute types with poor results. My technique is always in question but, what types and brands do you guys use that work well for you?

TIA,

tod evans
07-31-2006, 4:37 PM
glenn, here are the two that i use, one is a single flute with a magnavon cage the other is made for aluminum by ics cutting tools....02 tod

Gary Keedwell
07-31-2006, 4:41 PM
Glenn,

Don't know what you mean by "free-hand". Are you holding the countersink in your hand and spinning it or in a portable drill, or are you spinning it (countersink) in a drill press and lifting your workpiece up to the countersink. Don't laugh~ I've done all the above. Trouble with alot of countersinks is that they leave a "secondary" burr. Sometimes I will take a countersink that comes to a point, and machine it BEFORE I drill. Believe it or not, it works most times.

Gary K.

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 4:43 PM
Tod,

Thanks very much for a quick answer. Those resemble some I've been looking at and are of a different type than the two styles I've tried. I just wanted to test the Creek waters before I tried and was dissapointed again. Looks like that style is a go!

tod evans
07-31-2006, 4:48 PM
which one glenn? and for what woods........the aluminum cutter does great in most hardwoods, don`t shop for bargains on these! i`ve got 25 i bought from e-bay i`ll send you if you want them? even after sharpening they don`t work as well as a good one. the magnavon cage will accept any standard screw in countersink and i`ve found that in soft woods a sharp single flute cut on a shear works best for me....02 tod

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 5:39 PM
Woods would be oak, cherry, maple and of course some pine/cedar. I was looking at the Magnason. The cage appears to be a spring loaded mechanism like a self centering bit, yes? I’m with you on the cheapies; I’ve wasted enough time on them.

Magnason Ind. is only about 30 miles from my house. Did you buy direct or is there a source online? BTW, I notice they offer no-scratch footplates but, they are not on bearings. I suppose for woodworking this may not be useful (?).

Thanks again for the time and info,

Glenn

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 5:49 PM
in your hand and spinning it or in a portable drill

Hand drill. Maybe this could be an excuse to buy a decent sized drill press? Nah, I'd still need to do the hand work at some point. :rolleyes:

tod evans
07-31-2006, 6:30 PM
glen, the two cage manufacturers i`m firmiliar with are magnavon and zephyr, they`re used primarily in the aircraft industry and both are redily available on e-bay. the aluminum countersink( with the hole) should be available from any good supply house? here`s a link to msc;
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=02351609&PMCTLG=00

.02 tod

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 6:54 PM
Thanks again Tod, you're the man.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Weldon

Space filler text ignore.