PDA

View Full Version : New Festool Tool

Gary Keedwell
07-31-2006, 1:50 PM
Received my first Festool tool the other day. 15.6 cordless drill. Very impressive. Liked the way the chucks go on the arbor..Very tight and very little "run-out" The only thing I found questionable was the noise the clutch makes. Maybe because all I ever had was a De Walt, but the peculiar noise it makes, kinda took me back. Do they really sound like that~ or do I have a lemon?

Gary K.

Rick Christopherson
07-31-2006, 5:37 PM
The clutch is the same design as is used on nearly all current generation drills (i.e. those that have a planetary drivetrain). If you are referring to the "grinding" sound, you are not alone in your displeasure, but they all do this.

The sound is caused when a series of spring-loaded ball bearings skip out of their pockets and permit the outer ring of the planetary drive to rotate. There is no damage to the gearbox when the clutch engages, even though it sounds like there is. The pressure on these clutch balls is very low.

The new Festool C12 is the only drill that I am aware of that resolves this grinding sound. The clutch is the same, but because the electronic controller is more intelligent, it can detect when the clutch has engaged, and shut down the motor. On a C12, you will hear two "clicks" and that is all.

I have a writeup on this topic of clutches at the Festool website. You can read my review of the C12 for more information. http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/C12_technical_review.pdf

===============================
Oh, If you are referring to the sound the gearbox makes when you release the trigger, this is because the gearbox also has a one-way clutch to aid in changing bits. In other words, the motor can make the chuck turn, but the chuck cannot turn the motor. This is a great feature for tightening or loosening the chuck, and a few other drill manufactures employ the same thing (I think DeWalt does too). The sound is from the inertia of the spinning chuck engaging this one-way clutch as the motor slows down faster than the chuck.

Jim Dailey
07-31-2006, 5:49 PM
I have the same drill, and like you had used DeWalts for years... The Festool clutch sure sounds totally different!!! Unless we both have defects, which I doubt, I believe you'll like the drill as much as I do....

Ya it does what a lot of other cordless drills can do but I was certainly impressed on how it didn't have a problem drilling 1/2" holes in 1/2" steel, or swinging a 6" hole saw. In both cases granted I could have used a corded drill (Milwaukee Hole Hog) but the locations would have made this a pain...

The Festool 15.6 volt sure has been a joy & after struggling for years, multiple times a day with DeWalt battery removal, the Festool is a breath of fresh air. And the chuck holds a hell of a lot better than the Jacobs on any of my 5 DeWalts.

Hope this helps, jim

Gary Keedwell
07-31-2006, 6:41 PM
Rick and Jim,

Thank-you very much for your responses. You guys sure put my mind to rest. I read your review, Rick and to say I was impressed, is an understatement.
I guess this settles it Jim~ we DO NOT have defects!!!! LOL

Gary K.

Mark Rios
07-31-2006, 6:59 PM
Oh, If you are referring to the sound the gearbox makes when you release the trigger, this is because the gearbox also has a one-way clutch to aid in changing bits. In other words, the motor can make the chuck turn, but the chuck cannot turn the motor. This is a great feature for tightening or loosening the chuck, and a few other drill manufactures employ the same thing (I think DeWalt does too). The sound is from the inertia of the spinning chuck engaging this one-way clutch as the motor slows down faster than the chuck.

I have this feature on my Bosch 24V cordless and I love-it-to-death. I don't know if any other Bosch models have it but I can't go back to the two handed chuck now. It's VERY handy, to understate it a little. I'm very glad to know that Festool does this. In fact, after hearing all the praise from others, I'd kinda expect it. :D

May I ask, what is the most powerful festool Cordless? Is the most powerful also the ahigh tech with the most features? Thanks.

Tyler Howell
07-31-2006, 8:05 PM
Tool Snob.
Welcome to the club.:cool: