PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Wayne Bitting
07-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Now that I have everything I can afford, I want to get started getting some pens done and send them on over. I haven’t bought the pen guts yet as I had a couple of questions. Do you make a pen/pencil sets or just send over pens? How about pen boxes, do you all buy pen boxes too or just the plastic sleeves? Has anyone bought anything through the bulk buy or is it just easier to buy from PSI? Is there a style preference, slim line, comfort, etc.? I am only going to have about a 2 week window between house project number 45,678 and 45,679 (basically I’m waiting for the front door which is on back order to arrive) so I want to make sure that I have everything on my workbench and ready to go.

Thanks.

Earl Reid
07-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome to the Creek. Glad to see you want to make some pens.

I get most of my kits from Berea Hardwoods
I make mostly slim line pens.
I pacage them in "snack baggies
I enclose a note with each pen, stating Material, sponsor of the pen ( I have had many people sponsor pens with donations)
I send the pens to Jackie in Hayes Va. usualy 50 or more at a time.
Some of my pens are made from wood with a history.

Earl Reid
07-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome to the Creek. Glad to see you want to make some pens.

I get most of my kits from Berea Hardwoods
I make mostly slim line pens.
I pacage them in "snack baggies
I enclose a note with each pen, stating Material, sponsor of the pen ( I have had many people sponsor pens with donations)
I send the pens to Jackie in Hayes Va. usualy 50 or more at a time.
Some of my pens are made from wood with a history.

Hope this helps, good luck .

Earl

Rod Torgeson
08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Hello Wayne....

I get all my pen kits from PSI.
I make the Designer pens (PKMONT). I order 100 at a time for price break.
I also order the plastic pouches (PKPOUCHC) to put them in.
I send with that a note as to the species of wood the pen is made from.
I usually send in 20 at a time.
I guess the reason I order from PSI is that I have all the bushings from them for the pens I make. Also I have been ordering from them for about 10 years now. I usually make my own pen blanks(I have literally 100s of them) from a one inch thick board that I buy. It is a lot cheaper that way.

Hope this helps. Rod<---in Appleton, WA