PDA

View Full Version : Easel Project

Hank Knight
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
My daughter begins her Masters in Fine Arts graduate program at American University in DC the end of August. She needs a good studio easel, so I decided to build her one. I started back in the winter, but I had a 6 week interruption for out-of-town work. I'm closing in on it and I should have it done in a couple more weekends.

It's been an interesting project. It looked simple enough, but it's been a real challenge - and fun to build. The design is ours - my daughter's an mine; she's my technical consultant and she's had lots of input. I hammer veneered the paint box door with QSWO- a technique I've never tried before. It turned out well. I used hinges with 95 degree stops so the door works like a shelf when open. She can sort paint tubes and such on it, so I laminated the inside surface with high pressure laminate for easy cleaning.

The "feet" have ball castors on the back and levelers in the front. When she wants to move it around, all she has to do is pick up the front end and roll it wherever she wants it. The mast extends high enough for a 7' canvas - I hope that's enough capacity. Here are some pictures.

Frank Howell
07-31-2006, 2:27 PM
Dang Hank, that's a real beaut! That is sure to be an invaluable tool she'll use for years to come. Wonderful design, great timbers and a beautiful finish.

BTW: Hows about more detail on that Hammer Veneering? This is the first I've ever heard of that.

Hank Knight
07-31-2006, 3:10 PM
BTW: Hows about more detail on that Hammer Veneering? This is the first I've ever heard of that.

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words about the easel. I hope my kid enjoys it for a long time.

Hammer veneering is a very old technique. Basically you glue the veneer to the substrate with hot hide glue. It gets the name from the "veneer hammer" you use to press the veneer down flat and work the excess glue out the sides so you get an even glue layer with the veneer pressed down very flat. The "hammer" looks like a cross between a hammer and a short-handled hoe, or maybe like a warrenton hammer with a big cross peen. The cross peen is the business end. You use it like a squeegee to press the veneer down and squeegee out the excess glue. You put hot hide glue on the substrate and on BOTH sides of the veneer. The glue on the outside of the veneer acts as a lubricant for the hammer - sounds strange, but it works. When the glue cools it gels and fixes the veneer down tight until the glue dries. No clamps, presses, vacuum bags or any of that other paraphenalia is required - very low tec. I wouldn't want to try it on a large surface, although people have been using it for all size veneered projects for hundreds of years. For me, it's perfect for the occasional small stuff I would veneer in my shop.
Here's a link that explains the process in more detail:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2931

Thanks again for the compliments on my easel.

Hank

Tom Sherman
07-31-2006, 3:45 PM
Hank you may get a few orders for duplicates once your daughter starts the class. Great job.

Tyler Howell
07-31-2006, 4:20 PM
Well done dad.

Brett Baldwin
07-31-2006, 5:16 PM
I'll bet not too many other kids will be showing up with a custom made easel that nice. Great work Hank.

Roy Wall
07-31-2006, 5:28 PM
Beautiful Hank!! A great project that you and your daughter will cherish forever!! The other students will be impressed - good work!

Peter Stahl
07-31-2006, 5:56 PM
Very nice Hank! She's going to get a workout moving it, looks like it weighs a ton. Good thing you put wheels on it.

Gail O'Rourke
08-01-2006, 7:22 AM
Hank, this is a great project. Like all of my clients, input is crucial to them being satisfied with it in the end. I love that you designed it together, she will have it for years and years. Awesome.

John Timberlake
08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Great job. Love the little cabinet for storing paints, etc. She will be the envy of her classmates.

Martin Lutz
08-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Beautiful job, great design. I might need to "borrow" some of your ideas for an easel for my sister. Thanks for posting.

Hank Knight
08-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. My head's so big, I can't get through the door.

Hank