PDA

View Full Version : Garden Chairs are finished

Ralph Barhorst
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
I finally finished making my garden chairs. I plan to use them on my front porch.

They are made of white oak. I used two coats of Smith & Co. Clear penetrating epoxy sealer (CPES) to seal the wood and then five coats of Eifanes High Gloss Clear Varnish, which is primarily used on boats. I think that this will help protect the chairs for quite a while.

The plans were from the January, 2004 issue of American Woodworker. I modified the plans slightly by making the rear legs curved.

Carl Eyman
07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Great looking chairs. Will the chairs be out of the sun pretty much all of the time? If not, good luck on the varnish. I tried to find a marine varnish that would hold up to the sun, but never did.

Jim Becker
07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Those are lovely! Nice jobs!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Ralph........Very well thought out and executed! Excellent!

Ralph Barhorst
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Great looking chairs. Will the chairs be out of the sun pretty much all of the time? If not, good luck on the varnish. I tried to find a marine varnish that would hold up to the sun, but never did.

Carl - Yes they will be in the shade most of the time. They will be on a small porch on the north side of the house and will only see sun in the late evening.

Jeff Horton
07-31-2006, 12:16 PM
I tried to find a marine varnish that would hold up to the sun, but never did.

Most non wood boaters don't realize it but boats that sit in the sun typically have their bright work varnished at least yearly. Maybe twice in a really hot climates. Varnish just doesn't last for more than year in the sun.

Carl Eyman
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Jeff, Here in LA a year is un attainable. A good grade of Spar might go 6 months. Of course the big problem is when the varnish film fails and lets water under the varnishm it discolors and one has to get down to bare wood again DAMHIKT.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-31-2006, 12:53 PM
...and the landscaping looks nice too!
-Jeff

Tyler Howell
07-31-2006, 1:05 PM
Thrones fit for a king and queen!

Scott Vigder
07-31-2006, 1:25 PM
Carl - They will be ... on the north side of the house and will only see sun in the late evening.

Wait, Ralph, we both live in Ohio. Didn't you mean to say the chairs will only see sun once or twice a month, and then for just a few minutes at a time?

Ron Blaise
07-31-2006, 1:42 PM
They should last you for quite a spell.