PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-31-2006, 8:51 AM
Good Morning everyone,

I hope all of you had a great weekend and tried to stay cool as best you could.

My BIL, wife and kids have left and we sure had a nice visit with them over the past week. We took the kids to see "Aunt Bully" and then to see "Cars". Both movies were funny and were enjoyed by everyone. BTW, we went to the matinee' so it would be cheaper for the movie tickets. Ever took 10 people to a movie before?

Shop time was limited last week and this weekend. Pirmarily because "I" limited the shop time to have time with the family and for us to do things as a family. Since we don't really do that enough, I figured it was time to make it happen.

I did spend enough time in the shop to make the "teaching stool" that the BIL wanted made. I'll post pics of it and the little Milk Stool I made for my other BIL that had a baby boy born to their family.

It was church on Sunday, bass playing again there and then home for some left over smoked brauts and lay on the couch with the LOML to catch a lazy Sunday afternoon nap. Ya know, I'd almost forgotten how to relax. Guess I need to brush up on my relaxing skills just a bit more, eh?

Well, enough about me. What did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Wilson
07-31-2006, 8:54 AM
Didn't get any shop time over the weekend. Too HOT.
Did go to my 40th HS class reunion.

Steve Roxberg
07-31-2006, 9:24 AM
Wow, Dennis

We took the kids to see "Aunt Bully"

I didn't know there was a movie by that name and my first reaction was "wow, they must not like that aunt"

I picked up a new Festool 1080 MFT and set it up in the basement.

Threw my table saw totally out of alignment, and realigned it.

So I didn't make much sawdust.

Jim Becker
07-31-2006, 9:29 AM
Picnic with the family we were in Russia with last November on Saturday. Sunday, a quick trip to Ikea for lunch and to get a couple of those "over the bed princess nets" for the girls room and a quickie "over the toilet" cabinet for the bathroom to reduce clutter (yea, I know...but it's a time thing right now), swimming with the younger at the Y (older had to stay home due to behavior) and dinner at home. In other words, no shop time.

Steve Clardy
07-31-2006, 9:35 AM
Spent saturday working in the shop and wondering when this 100+ hot air is gonna cool down some.

Sunday did some cabinet work, then played, set up my HF sand blaster for plane bodies, etc.:)
Spent more time working on it than setting it up I think. Rearranged a couple of the latches on the doors, added a light inside it so I could see what I was doing in there. No blasting sand to play with, so I went over to son #2's place, where these cabinets are going, to hang a couple of cabinets.
Woow. Here he had a big pile of mortar sand there:eek: :D
So I found a 5 gal. bucket and snitched a bucket of sand and brought it home.
Partially filled the blast cab with sand and played with it some. Discovered a mysterious sand leak at the front of it. So I got another thing to fix on it.:(
Oh well, I 've learned that with HF stuff, you better be prepared to spend some time working on it, other than using it.

Mark Pruitt
07-31-2006, 9:47 AM
Found out that Woodcraft had the Wolverine Jig on sale so I hopped over to Roanoke and nabbed one, along with attachments and their slow speed grinder (also on sale). Got the leg assemblies for my workbench glyed up and inserted walnut dowels into the M&T joints. Turned a small bowl, finished with beeswax and named it "Cinco." Messed around with tweaking a tenoning jig to get it "just right," turned out the lights and now it's Monday.

Not dealing with as much heat as Clardy, but it's hot enough. Did I ever mention that I hate summer?

Roger Meeker
07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Spent most of the weekend working on one of the two new workbench/tables I'm building. Assembled the trestle base for one of them, finished gluing the skirt and backsplash on the top, vise spacers and stiffeners, and finally got some finish on it last night. One more coat tonight and table 1 will be in the basement by Wed night. I'll get some pictures downloaded and post them tomorrow.

Oh, and sweated like a pig all weekend. Why am I not smart enough to work in the basement when it's this blasted hot?

Karl Laustrup
07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Morning Dennis.

Not much happening here due to the heat and humidity. I did try to get some more done on the cat house/scratching post. Spent about 15 minutes and was totally drenched in sweat. Decided to forget trying to do anything outside until the temps moderate some later in the week.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Karl

Tyler Howell
07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Plenty of shop time, avoiding the heat.
Real cool in doors with home remuttling projects.
Milled up some Oak for window trim.

Thanks to creeker Al Wilits suggestions, I installed a cold air returm on the HVAC sytem to improve room temp balance. I got slow but steady improvements in my den.
A little sheet rock work and some house wiring.

Went to see Pirates, fun flick:cool:.

Started to unpack my spinny thing

JayStPeter
07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm still cleaning the other half of the basement for finishing. I made a dump run that included a massive old metal desk. I disassembled it and made a rolling cart out of the drawer section and mounted the center pencil drawer under my bench. I still need lots more shop storage to get everything that should be in the shop out of the other half of the basement :rolleyes: .
The good news is the design is coming along and includes some built ins and a "bar" type area for the kids to do art work. So, there are some good shop projects after the brutality of plumbing and drywall. I think I'll make the bathroom vanity also. In other words, it should all be done in 3 years or so :cool: .

Jay

John Bailey
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
After almost two years of working "on" the shop instead of "in" the shop, I got around to what I like to do best, working on boats. First project is to rebuild/refinish my dinghy. Got the bottom done, then had to build some type of stand so I could work on the inside.

Boats rightside up don't do real well on saw horses. You can see what I came up with.

I built this dinghy about 7 years ago. I had a sailboat then and needed some way of getting to shore. Sailed a lot in Lake Superior and swimming to shore got a little cold. The picture is of the inside, before the work starts. Maybe next weekend you'll see the finished product.

John

Matt Meiser
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Not too much since we got back from vacation Friday. Installed a dedicated outlet for my shop sump pump and mowed the lawn and put all the stuff away that I picked up at the tool stores in Minneapolis. Also researched 4 wheelers and other toys on the Internet.

Ed Breen
07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Ah Yes,
Saturday was spent moving "stuff" around in SWMBO's shop. Sunday morning, woke up to a telephone call from an employee who was in jail because he was drinking and gave his brother the car keys. (Brother sped and did not have a license) The oficer ran then all and our guy had three warrants for nonappearance in court. Needed 2600 to get out, but hadn't been arraigned so no bail.
Took a call from a manager who had made a visit to one of our homes. The home was a mess and she directed the staff to clean the kitchen and asked the client to take out the garbage. Father was in the home and took umbrage. They called me and he demanded they leave. I told the manager that the entire family suffers from guilt and over compensates. Next call from daughter having trouble at home, to do with her meds being purloined by live-in. Got ready to leave and found that son #2 (forty and Down's syndrome) had grabbed 3 credit cards including an AMEX prepaid travelers card. Got them back and took him home to his apartment. Went to daughters, but by this time Betsy had medicated me. Instead of "dutch uncle" talk, I was reasonable!! Daughter upset. Started home and saw a grass fire on road side. We swung over the median and I opened the 5th door, grabbed a sun visor and started beating the flames whil Betsy called 911. She then started telling me that it was 103 and at 77 I shouldn't be out beating flames. Next a volunteer from Fort Gibson stopped and as we were working a U.S. Agriculture Dept truck drove up with a water tank. We put the fire out and started home and had a flat tire. Just starting to work on it when a state trooper drove up took one look at us and changed the tire. We went home and I had a toddy!!! And laughed at our day!!!:p
So went a weekend in paradise.
Ed:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Joe Marotta
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Actually a pretty good weekend, overall...

The gift card from the May HD Power Tool promotion (finally) arrived, so I headed off to the borg with my son in tow to pick up the Freud Stacked Dado as well as some plywood for inserts.

On the homefront, I was able to dry fit the desktop bookshelf I have been working on. All that is left is to sand it and finish it. I have to admit, I am really surprised at how well it went together, since it is my first attempt at M&T. Not perfect by any stretch, but I learned a lot and will certainly not make the same mistakes twice. Picture to follow...

Since it is red oak, I am thinking I should probably use something to fill the pores before rubbing it with Danish Oil, no?

Joe Mioux
07-31-2006, 1:22 PM
Trimmed bushes -- lost weight;) It was HOT yesterday!

Mark Pruitt
07-31-2006, 1:38 PM
Ah Yes,
Saturday was spent moving "stuff" around in SWMBO's shop. Sunday morning, woke up to a telephone call from an employee who was in jail because he was drinking and gave his brother the car keys. (Brother sped and did not have a license) The oficer ran then all and our guy had three warrants for nonappearance in court. Needed 2600 to get out, but hadn't been arraigned so no bail.
Took a call from a manager who had made a visit to one of our homes. The home was a mess and she directed the staff to clean the kitchen and asked the client to take out the garbage. Father was in the home and took umbrage. They called me and he demanded they leave. I told the manager that the entire family suffers from guilt and over compensates. Next call from daughter having trouble at home, to do with her meds being purloined by live-in. Got ready to leave and found that son #2 (forty and Down's syndrome) had grabbed 3 credit cards including an AMEX prepaid travelers card. Got them back and took him home to his apartment. Went to daughters, but by this time Betsy had medicated me. Instead of "dutch uncle" talk, I was reasonable!! Daughter upset. Started home and saw a grass fire on road side. We swung over the median and I opened the 5th door, grabbed a sun visor and started beating the flames whil Betsy called 911. She then started telling me that it was 103 and at 77 I shouldn't be out beating flames. Next a volunteer from Fort Gibson stopped and as we were working a U.S. Agriculture Dept truck drove up with a water tank. We put the fire out and started home and had a flat tire. Just starting to work on it when a state trooper drove up took one look at us and changed the tire. We went home and I had a toddy!!! And laughed at our day!!!:p
Ed, you win the "weekend from hell" prize!:eek: Hope that black cloud disappears soon!;)

Don Baer
07-31-2006, 2:29 PM
Still packing and cleaning on Saturday. Church Sunday Morning. The neighbors had a going away Bar-B-Que for us in the afternoon so I wasn't able to get and packing and cleaning done on Sunday but it was a great party. They gave my wife and I a wall mounted clock with a plack engraved telling us what great neighbors weve been. It was a heart wrentching time but they all know that we are ready for the new chapter in our lives. I'm taking the next 3 days off. Today I'll finish doing what I can the mover will be here tomarrow to pack up and then they'll be here on Wed. to load up and we'll head over to AZ and say good buy to California.

Alan DuBoff
07-31-2006, 3:02 PM
Flew back from Oregon on Sat. evening, but managed to get an old Crescent 8" jointer moved back to my shop on Sun. Not sure how old it is, probably from the 20s or 30s.

Missing a motor, but in great shape.

http://www.SoftOrchestra.com/images/crescent8.jpg

Rick Gibson
07-31-2006, 3:20 PM
I did manage to finish my first band sawn box. Been to hot to do much but work in the shop... Shop's in the basement coolest place in the house. Went down to the lake on Sat. afternoon and visited with my dad. He mentioned that he had found bunch of my grandfathers old tools while rummaging around in the garage, he said he would give them to me since I am the only one in the family that shows any interest in woodworking. From what he said most are to far gone to be restored so I will set up some kind of display for them in the shop.

The box is made from a chunk of walnut the wife picked up for me about 13 years ago when I was shooting handguns in competition. I had used a piece of it to make pistol grips to fit my hand for my 357 magnum.. The rest has just been sitting around since then.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Rick_in_Bothwell/bandsawnboxc.jpg
http://http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Rick_in_Bothwell/bandsawnboxc.jpg

Greg Koch
07-31-2006, 3:37 PM
Mounted my new Biese fence on the Delta TS and cut a couple boards for the table. Hope to fininsh the table today and fine adjust everything. Rest of the weekend was mainly working in the garden. With the sun we've had here in Seattle, everything is growing well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Biese-1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Biese-1.jpg)

Fred Voorhees
07-31-2006, 5:28 PM
Ah Yes,
Jeepers Ed, remind me again not to ever hang out with you on the weekends.:D

Roger Meeker
07-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Here's some pics of the weekend (plus a few days) project. I decided to make two work tables, 32" wide by 96" long. 8" of solid Red Oak in the front, with 24" of 3/4" ply +3/4" MDF +1/4" QS RO veneer on top. Kind of an exercise in veneering incorporated into my first work table project. There will be a front vise installed on the left side when it arrives in the basement.

http://www.elmnet.net/~yieldmap/pictures/IMG_4198.JPG

http://www.elmnet.net/~yieldmap/pictures/IMG_4203.JPG

http://www.elmnet.net/~yieldmap/pictures/IMG_4210.JPG