PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

Joe Tonich
09-26-2003, 9:58 PM
Last weekend I turned this little bowl (5 1/2"x1 1/2" high) out of a Cherry cutoff I found laying around. Actually turned something around 1/8" thick without blowing it up. I usually get a spot too thin and POW! , firewood! :( Was feelin kind of low so I went out and bought a BEALL buffing system yesterday. Buying tools ALWAYS cheers me up! :D :D It's amazing how much better the finish is after buffing it out! I put on a coat of Velvit Oil last weekend and buffed it out tonight.

Joe

Tom Sweeney
09-26-2003, 10:03 PM
That one got real thin Joe - Looks great - I like the way the grain looks & the buffing really does a number on cherry. :cool:

Great job - you should definately be feeling better now!

Brad Schafer
09-26-2003, 10:04 PM
that's a good looking piece of work, Joe. like the profile and the grain.

b (i WILL not get a lathe, i WILL not get a lathe, i ...)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-26-2003, 10:07 PM
Joe..........that is DARN NICE! Very good looking bowl you have there. That Cherry is beautiful..............I will be adding some of that to the "War Room" soon. I have to check out the Beall Buffing setup, as it really does the job on shinin' 'em up nice! Looks like you have GOT IT my friend..............don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I have blown up a few myself...............It is hard to get over the "Just a little thinner" thing ain't it? Looks good, thanks for sharing the picture! :D

John Miliunas
09-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Ahhhh, I can almost smell the Cherry over here! I love that smell when turning Cherry. Good looking piece, Joe. And I totally agree with Brad regarding the profile of it....Very unique. May have to try something like that somewhere down the road.

Oh, and Brad, give it up. You WILL get a lathe, you WILL get a lathe...you Will...... :D :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Where is the best place to purchase the Beall Buffing System? I think that is what I need to get the beautiful finish that this system produces..............I like the SHINE! :D

Joe Tonich
09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
That one got real thin Joe - Looks great - I like the way the grain looks & the buffing really does a number on cherry. :cool:

Great job - you should definately be feeling better now!

Thanks Tom,

Between you, Kevin, and the others, I got my motivation for round stuff again. I should be thanking ALL you guys! :D

Joe

Joe Tonich
09-26-2003, 10:15 PM
that's a good looking piece of work, Joe. like the profile and the grain.

b (i WILL not get a lathe, i WILL not get a lathe, i ...)

Brad,

If you want to try turning give me a ring, I'm in the book or PM me. Will be out of work for a couple of Months (Carpal Tunnel) so I'll be home a lot. :( Maybe you WILL get a lathe!!! :D :D

Joe

Joe Tonich
09-26-2003, 10:20 PM
Where is the best place to purchase the Beall Buffing System? I think that is what I need to get the beautiful finish that this system produces..............I like the SHINE! :D

Kevin,

I went to Woodcraft for it. $85 out the door with the buffing system and the #2 MT for it. Woodcraft has REALLY turned around since the last time I was there! I'm gonna be going back more often.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-26-2003, 11:29 PM

Yea, the Beall system is really a good investment if you like a great shine on your work. I think I bought mine at Woodcraft, but it's available at a lot of places, including direct. I use it directly on the lathe using the #2 MT adapter and a draw bolt to keep it secure.
-------

Joe, that's a great turning! Cherry is very nice for doing thin projects, too, in my experience. I don't turn many bowls, but the one I'm proudest of is a cherry effort similar in size to this wonderful turning you've shown us.

Bill MacLachlan
09-27-2003, 7:46 AM
Great job, Joe. I still cherry is one of the best looking and working woods.

Bill Esposito
09-28-2003, 9:30 AM
Where is the best place to purchase the Beall Buffing System? I think that is what I need to get the beautiful finish that this system produces..............I like the SHINE! :DKevin,

I took advantage of Woodcraft's free shipping and ordered one on friday. But hurry if you want free shipping as it's over on the 30th of Sep. The code is in my other thread on the subject.

Bill Esposito
09-28-2003, 9:33 AM
Joe,

Looks great!.. I love cherry but unfortunately I dont have any for turning, just some maple and a few cherry boards.

About how long did it take you to buff out that bowl?

Joe Tonich
09-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Joe,

Looks great!.. I love cherry but unfortunately I dont have any for turning, just some maple and a few cherry boards.

About how long did it take you to buff out that bowl?

Bill,

Cherry is my FAVORITE wood to work! It makes the shop smell good and it always looks good finished! I never use anything but an oil finish on it. Buffing only took about 10 min for a great shine.

Joe