PDA

View Full Version : L-n #3

Larry Rose
07-31-2006, 8:11 AM
Has any one used a l-n #3? I'm considering getting one. I now have a l-n la smoother and a l-n 41/2. Is the plane very useful or only pretty?

Roy Wall
07-31-2006, 9:49 AM
Larry,

I actually have a LN#2 Bronze......and have become quite satisfied with the little plane. I do have to hook my ring and pinky finger around the tote, then my middle and index just extend out and press against the iron and frog area on the right (I'm right handed). I wear a ML glove size.

The #3 is very close in size to a #4.....and normally the "smallest useful" hand plane....but like I said, the #2 is pretty handy for small work.

NOW - You didn't mention that you had any LN block planes??? If I where you, I'd get a Low angle adj. mouth block plane from LN before I got a #2, or #3 plane. For sure, these are the handiest little planes to have for fitting, endgrain, joint work, small stock work, etc...

I have both the LA block and the LA-rabbet block planes. They are excellent!

Mike Wenzloff
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi Larry,

For the scale of work I often do, my #3 gets used a lot. The main difference is the iron width, though the plane is a little shorter. In my case it is a vintage plane with a Hock iron.

Take care, Mike

Larry Rose
07-31-2006, 3:15 PM
Roy, I do have a L-N la block, also a L-N rabbet block and a L-N skew block. It's good to know the 2 is useful I guess the 3 would be also.

Roy Wall
07-31-2006, 3:29 PM
Roy, I do have a L-N la block, also a L-N rabbet block and a L-N skew block. It's good to know the 2 is useful I guess the 3 would be also.

Larry, I sent you a PM...........

Basically, for logical, purposeful use - I'd give the #3 the nod over the #2

Hank Knight
07-31-2006, 4:10 PM
Larry,

I have a #3 and I use it all the time. I also have a #4. I could probably use the #4 for most everything I use the #3 for, but frequently the #3 seems to be just the right size for smaller stuff. Since you have a 4 1/2, I think a #3 would be a good purchase. A #4 would be pretty close to your 4 1/2, but a #3 would give you a real range of choices. I imagine you would find uses for a #3 that would be awkward for the significantly larger 4 1/2. I say go for it.

I can't offer any personal experience with the LN #3. I own a lot of LN tools and I'm a fan, but I don't have any of their bench planes. Mine are all old Stanleys. Nevertheless, if I were buying new planes, I'd buy LNs. I think they're wonderful.

My $.02

Hank