PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used a Veritas workbench

Alan Berezin
07-31-2006, 12:27 AM
I am thinking of buying a workbench. I know many people would say you should build one but I have so many projects, really am reluctant to take on another. I need something for general use. Most of the time, saw horses and plywood work fine but sometimes in need (want) to use hand planes and for that I need something solid.

Has anyone used the Lee Valley/Veritas workbenches. They cost about $1k, not too bad I guess.

Greg Koch
07-31-2006, 1:02 AM
I need something for general use. Most of the time, saw horses and plywood work fine but sometimes in need (want) to use hand planes and for that I need something solid.... They cost about $1k, not too bad I guess.

Oh man.... Sorry, Alan. I just read, from "saw horses" to "something solid to sometimes use hand planes... about $1k..not too bad" :eek: and spit coffee all over my keyboard. Yep, that will work.... I haven't researched workbenches, but that seems a bit high...but that might be the norm.:(

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
My idea of a proper bench is zero cost, super heavy, and stable. Those thousand dollar benches are, in my NSHO, a waste of money. They won't make your work better and you gotta worry about them getting spoiled.

There are plenty of guys who have built their own "works of art" type of traditional bench. They are georgous indeed. Oggling a few is enough to get me to consider making one but the way I use a bench would wreck it in a month.

I drive nails and screws in my benche to hold odd things. Sometimes I have to make my benches do double duty for finishing, gluing, welding, soldering, or even auto machanic work.

I have one bench made entirely from 36-year old kiln dried 2*6; 2*8; and 6*6 lumber from a massive bunk bed I built for my girls years back. It is way solid, heavy, and huge.

I am building another 7 by 3 footer from the pallets on which they shipped my slider and J/P. The pine is all full dimension rough cut so it's plenty heavy.

I'll top it with oak or birch ply and urethane it.

Hey it's a work bench. I work on it.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Gotta agree with Cliff & Greg. I built the bench described in the June/July 2005 issue of WOOD for under $100. Not including the vise. Took about 3-4 hours, if that. It's made of 2x4s, 2x6s and a damaged (where?) solid core door. The thing is solid and I don't have to worry about messing it up.

I'm sure those benches are nice but $1K nice?

Brent Smith
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi Alan.....I have a Veritas bench. Well made and sturdy. Is it worth the price.......is anything these days? When you compare it to some of the other benches on the market, I think it shows well. The only thing I would suggest, would be to add a bit of weight to it, but this is true of just about every bench on the market.

Gary Miller
07-31-2006, 3:13 PM
I've used my Veritas workbench ( w/ cast iron base) for over two years. Handplaning, hand cutting mortices and sawing tenons, etc. I have found the bench to be very sturdy and flat w/ good vises. I do all my glue-ups clamped to the bench top, and the center tool tray is very handy. I have rigged a piece of the center tray to be removeable, so clamping veritility is exceptional. I work from both side of the bench.

In summary--very good bench, good price. I still use the massive solid beech bench I built 30 years ago, but the Veritas exceeds it's capabilites.

Gary

glenn bradley
07-31-2006, 4:14 PM
Two layers of MDF, top layer sealed. Milled dimensional lumber for the legs and supports. Cost around $60 less the vice. Been fine for over a year. End result; $940 for wood! :D

Jim Young
07-31-2006, 4:29 PM
Alan, Although I don't have the Veritas bench I will say that the $1000 tag is not bad. You will still have to assemble it as I recall. I chose to "waste" my money on a Diefenbach, their benches are a little more traditional than the veritas.

As for building one, once you look at the price of lumber and the time invested it just didn't make sence to me to build one. I have a lot of projects for the house and don't have a lot of shop time, so buying one was a better deal.

You may also try looking around for an old bench. There seem to be plenty of them to be had. Here was one that I found.

http://www.simoli.net/images/Woodworking/Shop/Benches/wRestore8_20060104.jpg

Allen Bookout
07-31-2006, 5:00 PM
My first reaction was to go along with Greg, Cliff, Rob and Glen but then I thought about it a little more and considering that you would have to spend around $300 for vises and maybe $200 for materials (depending on what you used) you are really only spending $500 more than building it yourself plus shipping.

As I have the extra time right now it would not be worth it to me but for you being short of time and having the extra cash it seems like the logical thing to do.

I do not know about the Veritas benches but everything that I have bought from them is first class so I would not be concerned about the quality. It seems like that is the way that they have built their reputation, along with customer service.

I say, in your situation, go for it if you do not want to do a lot of comparison shopping.

In the meantime others may come up with a better procuct for the same amount of money.

Enjoy your new work center.

Allen

Steven J Corpstein
07-31-2006, 8:07 PM
One option that you might explore to save some money and time is to build one like I did.

I ordered a slab top, twin vise, and cast iron legs (for the weight) from Veritas.

I saved some money, a little time over building completely from scratch, and I can still brag about the bench I built, (just not as loudly as if I did it all from scratch).

Gary Curtis
07-31-2006, 8:31 PM
Right now, I'm building a bench from the Veritas plans they sell. Cost for materials (2" Beech top, maple legs/stretchers) is about $450 for a 7.5'x30 piece. About $120 of that was for the vises.

First let me admit that I talked my friend into buying the $2000 Laguna Bench in 2005. He loves it. But a year later, I'm not sure I would do that again, simply because I can know now that anyone can make their own.

A bigger reason is the importance of tailoring the beast to your work needs. I modified the hell out of design, inluding flip stops and a bench slave in the front. And the height will be 29 inches because of my size. When you add it all up, you can save about half and end up with something more suited to your workstyle by doing a DIY.

Gary Curtis

Jordan Lane
07-31-2006, 9:54 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7725 only $850

Alan Berezin
08-01-2006, 9:41 PM
Thanks all for the input. I think all the various points of view are valid. Boy, that grizzly bench is cheap, comparatively anyway. I think Ill just noodle on this for a while. What I really need is another 1000 sq-ft :D

John Scarpa
08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Wow that Grizzily is cheap! I think it comes down to "If" you have the time and you want something customized for your needs, build it. If you don't buy it as Jim Young has pointed out....considering the cost of materials it makes sense to buy one.

I had one that was cobbled together out of the bottom of a bowling alley. I still have the old top and am going thru the self debate of making new legs for it or going for a purchased one. As soon as I really need it again I will have to make a decision!