PDA

View Full Version : GI or Woodtek mortiser - which would you buy?

Allen Bookout
07-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I am wondering which benchtop mortiser to buy. Below are my two choices. When you add a bit and chisel set to the Woodtec both units are very close to the same price. The GI has a 1/2 HP motor and a max chisel and bit size of 1/2 inch but you can angle the head for angled mortises. The Woodtek has 1HP and a max chisel and bit size of 1 inch but you cannot angle the head. Well this discription says that the max capacity of the Woodtek is 5/8" so I do not know. The catalog list this Woodtek as 1HP as 12amp instead of the lower 6.8 amp listing in the attachment details.

Which one would you buy?

Click on Thumbnails and they are readable.

Ron Blaise
07-31-2006, 6:41 AM
For your money, no one makes a better bench top mortise than Shop Fox (IMHO). Sold by Grizzly, check them out.

scott spencer
07-31-2006, 7:35 AM
The GI was ranked #1 in the last mortiser comparison I read. It likely has a longer warranty too. Unless you're a Packer's fan, I'd go with the GI. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-31-2006, 9:49 AM
I think the General benchtop mortiser is a better machine than the Powermatic if that means anyting.
I know nothingabout the Woodtek unit.

tod evans
07-31-2006, 9:56 AM
allen, choose a company that you like dealing with, either unit will cut mortises...both are tai/chi offerings.....so having a good dealer who will stand behind the machine would be of primary concern to me where i lookin`....02 tod

Allen Bookout
07-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for answering this question even though the figures for the Woodtek are conflicting.

I suppose it depends if you would rather have a little more power and capacity or the capability to slant the head. I do not know if there would be any times to speek of that you would need mortises that need to be slanted.

Allen Bookout
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
For anyone that is interested I just talked to Woodworker's Supply and clarified the HP and amperage ratings for the Woodtek 138-224 and it is indeed 1HP (12amps) and not the 6.8amps listed in the specifications.

So I am compairing the GI 1/2HP and the Woodtek 1HP. GI with slanting head and Woodtec without slanting head.

Paul Canaris
07-31-2006, 1:29 PM
The GI seems to have a Gas Return cylinder. As I recall when I owned one, this feature caused it to be a good deal easier to use then some that did not.