PDA

View Full Version : Plane I.D.

Mark Stutz
09-26-2003, 9:41 PM
I have finally figured out how to attach pictures! I recently acquired my first two planes. I'm interested in finding out any information about this transitional plane. How old? Manufacturer? The only marking is "FULTON WARRANTED" on the iron. The lever cap has an interesting geometric design on it. The rear handle has rough marking on it that look like rasp markings. I' also interested in tuning it. What's the best way to flatten the sole? Sandpaper on glass? Another plane? Thanks in advance for the info.

Jim DeLaney
09-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Looks like you've got the Fulton equivalent of a Stanley #26 or 27 transitional Jack plane.

It appears to be about 15" long, and probably has a 2" wide blade, bedded ar 45°. If it's nearer 18" long, it's equivalent to a Stanley 28.

Stanley made 26's and 28's from 1869 thru 1942, and the 27 from 1869 thru 1917. The 27 had a 2 1/8" blade, btw. Fulton's were probably made during the same era, and some may have even been made by Stanley for Fulton.

Fulton's are generally less well-finished than their Stanley counterparts, but there is some collector interest. Yours has an obviously replaced tote, and if the sole is worn very much, probably has a very wide mouth as well. You could inlet a patch in the sole to tighten the mouth, or even plane it flat and add a new sole of thin hardwood to it. Were it mine, I'd probably try to hand scrape the sole flat, and add a hard maple or lignum vitae patch to tighten the mouth. As is, this is not a particularly valuable or collectable plane, so it will make a very good 'learning piece.' Once repaired and tuned a bit, it'll make a great user, though.

Mark Stutz
09-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Jim,
Thanks for your help. You were right. It is 15" long with a 2" blade. The sole does not appear to be terribly worn, but I have no experience in order to judge. The throat opening measures 5/16". What would it have been when new? I'm pleased to know I won't be mangling a valuable collector's item. I do plan to learn to use it! Thanks again.

Jim Becker
09-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Looks like you've got the Fulton equivalent of a Stanley #26 or 27 transitional Jack plane..

Yes, it looks identical to the Stanley transitional that I picked up at a flea market a year or so ago. I don't remember off the top of my head if it's a #26 or #27, but it's about the same size as a metal #5 or so.

Jim DeLaney
09-27-2003, 11:31 AM
The throat opening measures 5/16". What would it have been when new?

Probably would have been about half that.

For a Jack plane, a wider mouth is tolerable. You could probably get by with leaving it alone, but were it mine, I'd inlay a hardwood patch at the front to tighten it up a bit.

BTW, I've seen a few that had brass patches inlaid, with small countersunk screws used to keep the brass in place.