PDA

View Full Version : Strange Table Saw Behavior

Allen Grimes
07-30-2006, 6:34 PM
Well almost 2 years after buying my table saw, I turned it on today for the first time and I got a chance to do some test cuts to see how well I have the miterslots aligned with the blade. Everything seemed just about perfect though I could probably get it even better, but as I was turning it on and off, I noticed something strange.

Every time I hit the on switch the motor jumps. Its not much of a jump but it is enough to notice. There is very very minimal vibration when the saw is on, and the motor stays put while running, but that jump bothers me.

I decided to see if I could move the motor with my hands and surely enough I can lift it straight up about maybe 1/2" or so. It looks as though the gear that raises and lowers the saw blade is a little loose.

Is there a way I can fix that or is this normal and I should just ignore it?

Art Davis
07-30-2006, 6:54 PM
Allen,

You have to expect a bit of torque when you turn on a motor with a significant fraction or above of a horsepower. The problem would be if it did something to the blade----or caused the belt to derail or something like that.

Steve Clardy
07-30-2006, 8:53 PM
Belt may have taken a hit sitting there in one position for two years.

Greg Koch
07-30-2006, 9:37 PM
My Delta contractor saw "jumped" too, at first... I adjusted the link belt, switched to 220V and it went away. I think the 110 to 220 did the most. Now I never notice it. Sitting for 2 years at the same spot could have made a "flat spot" on the belt.

Jim Becker
07-30-2006, 9:41 PM
My Jet cabinet saw did the same when it was new...belt set. I now run link belts...no more "bang" on startup, especially since my shop activity isn't as "frequent" as I would like...

Steve Roxberg
07-30-2006, 9:45 PM
My Delta contractor saw "jumped" too, at first... I adjusted the link belt, switched to 220V and it went away. I think the 110 to 220 did the most. Now I never notice it. Sitting for 2 years at the same spot could have made a "flat spot" on the belt.

Mine always jumped even with a link belt, I upped it to 220 and the jump went away. I really enjoy it at 220, but mine is the Delta that jumps from 1 1/2 horse to 2 hp when you make the switch as well.

Mark Pruitt
07-31-2006, 8:34 AM
Belt may have taken a hit sitting there in one position for two years.
Glad you said that. I've been noticing the same thing on my jointer (belt driven), and it only happens when the machine has been sitting unused for a while. If I turn it off and back on while working on a project the problem does not occur. This is a plausible explanation.
Mark