PDA

View Full Version : Rabett Assist for a Newbie

glenn bradley
07-30-2006, 1:56 PM
When you're a ham-hand like me, the idea of cutting a fairly wide rabbet on the underside of an ogee profile is a little intimidating. With only an 1/8" of material between the thin part of the ogee and the rabbet on the opposing side, I have an opportunity for error. This is compounded by the fact that the piece will be positioned with a good portion of it hanging off the table while routing. Also, the guide bearing is only contacting approx. 1/16" of material if I use it for my depth stop.

I was able to raise my confidence level by using my table saw fence as a depth guide of sorts. This also saves me from sneaking up on the final width 'freehand' or changing bearings to a smaller and smaller size to achieve the depth I'm after. I set the TS fence to allow a 1/16" or so of depth per pass. I keep the final depth-size bearing on to remind me how close I'm getting to being done.

You pros out there may see this as a lot of extra work for a rabbet cut but when you're a hobbyist like me, the cost in time of tanking a frame that took a couple of nights to get to the profiling stage is pretty significant.

Some day I'll be good enough to just grab a freehand router and knock this out, I hope. But, for now, "long way around the barn" or not; here's a shot of the setup.

Allen Bookout
07-30-2006, 2:16 PM
That is very interesting. I am going to have to think about it for a while. The concept might have solved one of my problems recently. I freehanded it but had to reclamp on my workbench several times for each frame and had very little bearing surface.

Allen

glenn bradley
07-30-2006, 2:29 PM
Another option pointed out to me was to route the rabbet first and then use a filler strip in the rabbet to provide a good surface to guide the bearing on the ogee bit. I'm gonna give that a try next time around. That technique would, of course, require the LOML to decide whether she wanted a mirror or a panel in the door so I would know the depth sometime before I'm 90% done ;) .