PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Plans for a Pirate Treasure Chest or War Chest?

Jerry Fuerstenberg
09-26-2003, 7:49 PM
Does anyone have Plans for a Pirate Treasure Chest or War Chest?

I'd like to build one... rather authetic if possible. All the plans I find are for silly childrens toyboxes or blanket chests.

I want the real thing... Iron Clasps, hadles and hinges. Leather straps. Iron square nails (is that what they're called? or is it spike nails?) A false bottom would be cool to.

I don't need full plans... even a simple detailed picture would help... I'm just at a lose as to how the sides are angled and what-not.

anyways... any help would be appretiated.

Thanks!

--Jerry

Barbara Gill
09-27-2003, 7:00 AM
Check the FWW Index. It seems to me there was a pirate chest or one that looked like it in an old issue.

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-27-2003, 11:44 AM
I think that Norm built one at one time.
Daniel

Tom Sweeney
09-27-2003, 12:11 PM
I found a popular woodworking index that lists a pirate chest:
It was a PDF file I was able to search for the plan - here's what I got.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/store/pwindex.pdf

I think it is issue 50 Aug/89 page 56.

Make a Pirate Chest: 50/Aug ’89/56

There is this disclaimer at the top of the index you might need to visit a library & see if they have it.:
Popular Woodworking Index through Sept.1999
The following is a nearly complete index of articles (except for a couple missing issues) through
September 1999. If you are interested in back issues, please keep in mind that we are sold out of all issues
prior to #70. Earlier copies are available at some libraries. If you have a question about the availability of a
back issue, call (513) 531-2690 ext. 320.

Jerry Fuerstenberg
09-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Um... You'll have to excuse my ignorance but... What the heck is a FWW index? and who is Norm? You mean that guy on This old house? lol

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-29-2003, 4:18 PM
Um... You'll have to excuse my ignorance but... What the heck is a FWW index? and who is Norm? You mean that guy on This old house? lol
Jerry
Norm is Norm Abram from the New Yankee Workshop and This Old House
FWW is Fine Wood Working Magazine

I wonder if some of the senior citizens on the "Creek" know what LSMFT used to stand for. There is one that I haven't figured out as yet - BTW.
Daniel

Barbara Gill
09-29-2003, 5:37 PM
FWW= Fine Woodworking... a very good woodworking magazine.

Ace Karner
09-29-2003, 6:38 PM
Jerry
Norm is Norm Abram from the New Yankee Workshop and This Old House
FWW is Fine Wood Working Magazine

I wonder if some of the senior citizens on the "Creek" know what LSMFT used to stand for. There is one that I haven't figured out as yet - BTW.
Daniel

LSMFT LUCKY STRIKES MEAN FINE TOBACCO

Jerry Fuerstenberg
09-29-2003, 6:59 PM
oh... thanks

I've done a lot of searches and come up with very little. After thinking about it I realize that most of it's easy. It's just a box... I just don't know how to make the lid. I want the lid to be domed like most pirate chests... but I'd also like it to be really sturdy. So, how do I make 2/4 boards domed? I'm thinking the old steam iron aint gonna do the job ;-)

Would I make several boards with angles on them, glue them together and then sand down the edges untill it's curved? I'd need to start with 3/4 or 4/4 boards I think. If I used some mellow grained wood like Oak you'd hardly be able to see the seems I'd think.

If there's one thing I've learned about woodworking it's that everything is easy... once you learn the 'trick.'

Kevin Beck
09-29-2003, 7:41 PM
Search for coopered chest at www.google.com or your search engine of choice. NYWS did have an episode in the last few years where Norm Abram built a chest with a coopered top.

The top is constructed as you suggest with the boards joined at angles and the outside corners rounded off.

Kevin

Jerry Fuerstenberg
09-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Search for coopered chest at www.google.com or your search engine of choice. NYWS did have an episode in the last few years where Norm Abram built a chest with a coopered top.

The top is constructed as you suggest with the boards joined at angles and the outside corners rounded off.

Kevin

Sweeet... That's doable then... I didn't want to buy any more tools.

Dan Mackley
09-30-2003, 2:29 PM
Jerry,

You might also consider searching under "Steamer Trunk". Its construction is similar and there are probably more hits available under that name.

HTH
Dan M