PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Blotched curly maple

Jim Papin
07-30-2006, 10:04 AM
If you don't make mistakes, you never learn. Well, I'm learning.

I have some nicely figured curly maple that I have finished with 2 coats of Watco Teak Oil and I have now learned the meaning of blotching. I have also learned the proper method of finishing this wood (BLO, shellec, top coat) but my question is how to fix the blotching? Do I need to sand it off or can I somehow recover from this blunder.

Thanks for you help.

Howard Acheson
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Papin]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have some nicely figured curly maple that I have finished with 2 coats of Watco Teak Oil and I have now learned the meaning of blotching. I have also learned the proper method of finishing this wood (BLO, shellec, top coat) but my question is how to fix the blotching? Do I need to sand it off or can I somehow recover from this blunder.

Not quite sure about "proper method". If a wood is prone to splotching, any oil will cause varying coloration. Watco Teak Oil is really nothing more than a tung oil and linseed oil mixed with mineral spirits and a dollup of UV inhibitor.

Splotching is caused by uneven absorbsion of any liquid that changes the color of the wood. Oil will add amber to the wood. The same grain that gives you the figure will also mean that there are different areas that absorb more or less of the oil.

For curly maple you will probably find that a waterbased amber dye would be best. Then, if you want to add a deeper color, apply a 1/2# to 1# coat of shellac. Then apply a pigment gel stain. Finally, apply a couple of coats of a clear finish of your choice. Of course, this means stripping off the existing finish and starting over. There is not much you can do with what you have.