PDA

View Full Version : The best tooling I ever bought ---

Peter West
07-29-2006, 7:54 PM
First let me say I am not a 'professional' woodworker - more a hobbyist - but have just managed to produce a project that I am so pleased with I thought I would share it here.

Last year I purchased an new workshop which was in the form of a pine log cabin. You know the sort, made from 5 inch wide by 1.5 inch thick tongue and groove pine boards with interlocking corners.
It cost me a fair amount of money, but was easy to erect with the interlocking corners just snapping together, and it has proved very weatherproof and is well insulated.

This year I decided to build a new garage and wanted to use the same material = but the cost of buying a double garage in 'logs' was prohibitive. So I decided buy lengths of pine the right size and make the logs myself.

First I had to source the timber which needed to be 20 feet in length - which was not too difficult.

My next problem was how to cut the double tongues and grooves in the edge of 20 feet long boards, and then how to cut the intelocking joints accurately in the correct position on 140 boards - each requiring 2 joints cut to the correct width and a depth of one third of a board width - one top and one bottom so the joints interlock with a firm but snug fit.

My final problem was how to cut 2 20 foot lengths in half to form the bottom log for the sides.

The only tools I had to work with were a hand held circular saw, a router and a small conventional router table - and anyone who has ever tried to route tongue and groove on 20 foot boards will now how difficult (not to mention dangerous) that can be - never mind the fact that you would need 40 feet of space to pass the boards through.

So the hunt began to find the tools to do the job at the most cost effective price and in the safest possible way.

Thats when I came across the EZ Smart system from Eurekazone (http://www.eurekazone.com/)

I was intrigued by the concept and after reading the posts on their forum and watching the videos on their site I decided to purchase one of their systems.

And I have to say it is the best tooling purchase I could ever make.

Using 3 of my logs tied together with battons I created a 20 foot narrow table top which I supported on four trestles.
I then used this 'table' to support each board attached to the EZ router attachment assisted by the stops to route the tongue and grooves, Then I setup a small jig to hold 20 boards side by side to cut the joints in four passes once again using the router attachment and stops. Fourteen lots of board, two joints each with four passes (112 passes in all) and the job was done. Perfect position and snug fit - in fact the joints were a better fit and tidier than those on my 'professionally' made workshop..

Finally I used the saw attachment to cut the two lengths I needed halved.

I can now see why they called it the 'EZ' system. The job was quick and easy compared to any other way I can think of to do it. It was not expensive - and most of all it was safe, at all times the wood was static and it was the tooling which moved over the wood planks.

Once the building is up, I will use the same system with some other attachments to make all the shelving and cupboards for my workshop and garage and I am looking forward to that.

Instead of paying large sums of money for a table saw and large bed spindle moulder, or struggling with other alternatives I spent less than $300 on tolling I can use for so many other things - so I was well impressed.

Have a look at their site, I'm sure you'll be impressed too.

Richard Wolf
07-29-2006, 9:07 PM
Please spare us.

Richard

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2006, 9:21 PM
Careful, Richard...you really don't want to incur the wrath of the Faithful. :eek:

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 9:23 PM
I'm with Richard on this one. Comercials belong in the manufacturers forum.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2006, 9:24 PM
Easy guys....maybe he accidentally posted here instead of the EZ forum...

Bruce Benjamin
07-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Perhaps every single tool manufacturer/brand should have it's own forum. Grizzly seems to be popular as is any Unisaw and many others. Talking about that one specific brand name seems to be the only one that's taboo though.:confused: :confused: :confused: The OP's post seemed to me to be exactly what Sawmill Creek is all about; Sharing tool experiences both good and bad and asking and answering questions. Great post, Peter. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Bruce

Allen Bookout
07-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I am with Bruce unless I have missed something. It seems to me that this is useful infomation. I do not know anything but the basics about said product but it gives me some additional information about what members think about it in case that I am ever interested.

The only thing that I could think of as being wrong is if Peter were an owner or salesman for the EZ System.

Maybe I have missed something here.

Allen

Greg Hairston
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Peter,
How about a picture of this great system, your cabin and the work you have done with this system. If no pic I vote this post be removed

This appears to be advertising. I just dont think this site is the place to do this.
I know of a tool rep that is a woodworker who was denied access to this site because of his affiliation with a company. If he cant post then this type of post should not be allowed.
Greg

Allen Bookout
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM
I know of a tool rep that is a woodworker who was denied access to this site because of his affiliation with a company.
Greg
That seems strange as the President of Grizzly belongs here and is very helpful when the occasion calls for it. The representative from Freud also belongs here and I also see post from a big gun from Festol among a few others.

I see no problem with that as long as they are not abuseing the system. These guys are a great resource when a problem comes up or a question arises and the need for a correct answer is required.

This response is to the above quote only and does not equate to the thread starter.

Allen

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Come on guys........let it go!...........Life's to short to worry about this..........Let it go!

Bruce Benjamin
07-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Peter,
How about a picture of this great system, your cabin and the work you have done with this system. If no pic I vote this post be removed

This appears to be advertising. I just dont think this site is the place to do this.
I know of a tool rep that is a woodworker who was denied access to this site because of his affiliation with a company. If he cant post then this type of post should not be allowed.
Greg

I hope you hold every other single post that contains a positive review of any other brand of tool to the same strict standards. The guy had a woodworking problem. He found a tool that worked perfectly for him and shared his experience with it. What makes you think that this was an advertisement? If he had raved about how great his Grizzly TS or BS was would you say the same thing? Grizzly is one brand that's mentioned as much as or more than any other tool that I've seen on this and most forums. Could it be that these are all salesmen working for Papa Grizzly or maybe Papa Grizzly himself? How about the Unisaw? People like the General TS a lot too but I've never seen any commercial accusations mentioned about them. I'm sorry but I just don't see the difference between the EZ Smart and any other brand or specific tool. I guess now it should become a requirement that if you bring up a specific tool and project that it was used for you better post a picture. :confused:

Bruce

Bruce Page
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Peter,

Greg
I agree 100%
I would like to see some pictures.

Bruce Benjamin
07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Come on guys........let it go!...........Life's to short to worry about this..........Let it go!

You're right, Ken. It's a brick wall. Back of the bus folks! :rolleyes: I'm through.

Bruce

skip coyne
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
sounds like a interesting project I'd like to see pictures also .

Dino Makropoulos
07-30-2006, 12:39 AM
I can now see why they called it the 'EZ' system. The job was quick and easy compared to any other way I can think of to do it. It was not expensive - and most of all it was safe, at all times the wood was static and it was the tooling which moved over the wood planks.

It wasn't the tool Peter.
It was YOU who thought of a better way to use the tool. :cool:
The ez smart allows you to gain all the benefits of the Dead Wood Concept.
Gang routing and cutting is just the beginning. :)

I hope you have some pictures now. :rolleyes: :D :D
Thanks for the review and for sharing your ideas.

Richard Blaine
07-30-2006, 3:29 AM
Please spare us.

Richard

Richard, let's not jump a relatively new member for his enthusiasm. It's possible he has no idea about how touchy the E vs F wars got.

Now another word of warning for Peter. Around here, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen. So you better get some photos posted to show what you did.

Peter West
07-30-2006, 4:26 AM
Wow - what a wealth of responses, and not at all what I expected.

First let me say I am not a representative of Eurekazone - I market software which is used by professional interior designers for presenting interior planning ideas in 3D to their customers.

I joined this forum because I have had a long standing interest in woodworking but have not been able to keep up with the market during the last 6 years whilst building my business, and from some of the 'community' spirited posts here was looking for ideas that might assist me with my project.

My posting was in the 'spirit of sharing' something that I came across which got me quite excited, and thought nothing wrong in it having read various postings - and I certainly did not expect to meet such emotions resulting from my post.

If I have offended anyone, then I apologise, but I do not understand what I am apologising for and do not apologise for sharing. Those who find my posting of interest or value are welcome to it, those who don't like it should perhaps just not read it.

It's possible he has no idea about how touchy the E vs F wars got
What war? I did not realize there had been a war in the woodworking fraternity - and was certainly not looking to start one or take sides in an old one.

If the 'F' refers to Festool (I suspect it may be as they were the only other manufacturer I found offering something similar), I looked at their system as well as the EZ, but made my decision based on researching price, apparent flexibility and other factors in the same way as anyone would when choosing a saw table, a router or any other tool.

As far as pictures are concerned I am now currently very busy working on a major project for my software for a large Kitchen manufacturer, but as soon as I get back to my garage project I will certainly post some pictures (it may be a couple of weeks though).

Ron Blaise
07-30-2006, 6:43 AM
First let me say I am not a 'professional' woodworker - more a hobbyist - but have just managed to produce a project that I am so pleased with I thought I would share it here.

Last year I purchased an new workshop which was in the form of a pine log cabin. You know the sort, made from 5 inch wide by 1.5 inch thick tongue and groove pine boards with interlocking corners.
It cost me a fair amount of money, but was easy to erect with the interlocking corners just snapping together, and it has proved very weatherproof and is well insulated.

This year I decided to build a new garage and wanted to use the same material = but the cost of buying a double garage in 'logs' was prohibitive. So I decided buy lengths of pine the right size and make the logs myself.

First I had to source the timber which needed to be 20 feet in length - which was not too difficult.

My next problem was how to cut the double tongues and grooves in the edge of 20 feet long boards, and then how to cut the intelocking joints accurately in the correct position on 140 boards - each requiring 2 joints cut to the correct width and a depth of one third of a board width - one top and one bottom so the joints interlock with a firm but snug fit.

My final problem was how to cut 2 20 foot lengths in half to form the bottom log for the sides.

The only tools I had to work with were a hand held circular saw, a router and a small conventional router table - and anyone who has ever tried to route tongue and groove on 20 foot boards will now how difficult (not to mention dangerous) that can be - never mind the fact that you would need 40 feet of space to pass the boards through.

So the hunt began to find the tools to do the job at the most cost effective price and in the safest possible way.

Thats when I came across the EZ Smart system from Eurekazone (http://www.eurekazone.com/)

I was intrigued by the concept and after reading the posts on their forum and watching the videos on their site I decided to purchase one of their systems.

And I have to say it is the best tooling purchase I could ever make.

Using 3 of my logs tied together with battons I created a 20 foot narrow table top which I supported on four trestles.
I then used this 'table' to support each board attached to the EZ router attachment assisted by the stops to route the tongue and grooves, Then I setup a small jig to hold 20 boards side by side to cut the joints in four passes once again using the router attachment and stops. Fourteen lots of board, two joints each with four passes (112 passes in all) and the job was done. Perfect position and snug fit - in fact the joints were a better fit and tidier than those on my 'professionally' made workshop..

Finally I used the saw attachment to cut the two lengths I needed halved.

Once the building is up, I will use the same system with some other attachments to make all the shelving and cupboards for my workshop and garage and I am looking forward to that.

Instead of paying large sums of money for a table saw and large bed spindle moulder, or struggling with other alternatives I spent less than $300 on tolling I can use for so many other things - so I was well impressed.

Have a look at their site, I'm sure you'll be impressed too.

I thought it was very informative (would love to have seen pics). I don't know about "the wars" either being relatively new to this forum, so I don't have a dog in that fight. But, I have seen post like some written in response to your post before and I say "lighten up guys". Life is short and fast at best, yesterday is gone, we only have today. Enjoy it!;)

Richard Wolf
07-30-2006, 8:20 AM
Richard, let's not jump a relatively new member for his enthusiasm. It's possible he has no idea about how touchy the E vs F wars got.

You are correct, and I apoligize if I offended Peter as that was not my intention if his post was candid and honest.
Most new members lurk for a while and are aware of the sore points.
I only wanted to be spared going down this road again, and again, and again............

Richard

russ bransford
07-30-2006, 8:45 AM
Good post Peter.
You were right in the way you did it. Others were wrong in their response.

Next time just tell them what you did and don't say what you used to do the work. Make them guess. At this point some won't even believe the pictures. They'll want video.

Keep building, keep posting.

Russ

Pete Bradley
07-30-2006, 9:05 AM
The trouble with internet forums is that there's no way to know whether a post like this is a real experience or an infomercial. There are plenty of both out there. I don't think anyone would have a problem with this post if it was genuine, but the language really does read like a commercial.

A few pictures would be great.

Pete

Greg Hairston
07-30-2006, 9:47 AM
Peter West,
I apologize. Your post was so well written that it looked like a canned advertisement. However after seeing your reply, I am convinced (not that is should matter to you) that you were sincere. Keep posting and please do share on the forum.

Also I would like to see some pics when you get a chance. Sounds like you did some really neat stuff. :D

As for the rest that jumped to Peters defense against my post and the posts of others. :confused: Not sure what to say.. I commend you??? Maybe not... My apologies go out to Peter and Peter only because he is the only one that knew the true intent of his post. And it was Peter that came back, and should have come back and cleared things up.
I commend you Peter ;)

Greg

Joseph N. Myers
07-30-2006, 11:15 AM
When I see a post like this and am not sure whether or not it is a commercial type, I just check the person's "previous posts" (along with number of posts and join date).

With Peter, his posts clearly showed an interest in the system, some enhancement to system he would like, his ordering the system and his intension to use the EZ System to build a garage/work shop with the system. He also stated that he was currently quite busy and would post pictures as soon as he could get around to it. Again, this was before his current post.

Another thing I've done in the past is when I see something that someone posts that need clarification, i.e., something for sale without a price or location, I usually sent them a personnel message instead of posting it for the world to see. Many times its their first post, not familiar with the normal procedures and may scare them off. (How many times have you seen people only posting one time and never coming back ... not counting that jerk(s) last week).

With all the new people joining SMC, good news, some of them will surely "screw up" and maybe there is a better way to educate them. Especially about pictures --- needed under all circumstances!!!!

Regards, Joe

Mark Rios
07-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I still feel like I got bonked over the head (again) with a repeater. :D

John Miliunas
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I still feel like I got bonked over the head :D

Hey Mark, it sounds like you're inferring something to do with "bonkers". That being the case, I think your post belongs on the "Turner's Forum"!!! Has Frank C. or Tyler sent you some information we don't know about???:confused: :D (Sorry, couldn't resist!:o ) :cool:

Allen Bookout
07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Many times its their first post, not familiar with the normal procedures and may scare them off. (How many times have you seen people only posting one time and never coming back ...
That is the danger. I saw that happen on another forum. The guys first post, and evidently new woodworker, sincerely had something to say and the old timers with 15,000 post jumped all over him. It was pretty hideous and the new guy never came back. I felt really sorry for him.

Now we all know that Mark Rios is a tough guy and can take care of himself so he is fair game. Hang in there Mark!!!

Allen

Dino Makropoulos
07-30-2006, 1:41 PM
Wow - what a wealth of responses, and not at all what I expected...

...I will certainly post some pictures (it may be a couple of weeks though).

Thanks Peter.
Until you post some pictures...
Allow me to explain the unique benefits of the ez smart
and the Dead Wood Concept.

1. The job was possible because Peter don't have to move the wood while
cutting or routing. (less energy-space-and material support)
2. The wood was always under pressure from the guide rails or the
router. (Dead wood concept)
3. Multiple pieces was procceeced at once instead of
one piece at the time.
4. The SRK (smart router kit ) with limit stops allow for multiple passes
without the need to reposition the guide rail with each pass.
Peter set the limit stops at 5" wide and the routing was
ez-safe - fast and very accurate.

Dino.
Eurekazone.

Richard Wolf
07-30-2006, 3:41 PM
Boy, this tread was getting all warm and fuzzy until Post #27. This is the road we don't need to travel one more time!

Richard

Ken Salisbury
07-30-2006, 3:59 PM
Peter,

I disagree, so I left it.

Greg

I can assure you that is not the case. We have an untold number of tool reps as members. Anyone who agrees to abide by the TOS (specifically no advertising) and provides a real first and last name is welcome at SMC. Tool reps are not only welcome but their membership and participation here is encouaged.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Vaughn McMillan
07-30-2006, 4:17 PM
OK, my turn to have a go with this...

Peter, thanks for the post. Sounds like you made a good decision in your tool choice, and your enthusiasm for using your new tool is no different than a lot of other folks here when they have one of those "aha!" moments with a tool. Based on other peoples' comments in the past, it's obvious that the EZ system brings on a lot of "aha!" moments to those who use it. Someday I'll possibly be doing the same. (The SRK has potential possibilities for some of the stuff I do.)

What you're possibly unaware of is the fact that in the past, some threads here have devolved into little more than commercials for the EZ system, largely due to the enthusiasm of the users, and the fact that the developer, while very enthusiastic himself, doesn't have the finely-tuned PR skills that a manufacturer needs to have when posting in a non-commercial forum. As a result, there seems to be a certain backlash (that you'd not have known about) anytime the EZ system is mentioned here now. It may be the best tool in the world, but there are some here who have grown leary of anything hinting of an EZ infomercial (me included). You post was so well-written and polished, it became suspect. (Folks around here aren't very accustomed to decent writing. ;) )

Subtlety isn't really Dino's strong suit (as evidenced in his post above). However, coming up with new ideas for his system, and spreading the enthusiasm is. Enjoy the new tool system, and please pardon any incorrect assumptions that might have been made.

- Vaughn

Richard Blaine
07-30-2006, 4:19 PM
Boy, this tread was getting all warm and fuzzy until Post #27. This is the road we don't need to travel one more time!

Richard

Richard,
Now that's one quote I'll agree with. It seems like things go south on this subject when the sponsors start posting. I'm not saying they shouldn't post useful information, but they do have to be careful not to turn useful information into a sales pitch.

I will say that both Dino and Bob have given good, useful information in the past, but the subject of Festool vs. EZ smart (there, I said it) is very touchy because of the way past threads have gone.

Let's keep this thread nice. Peter has something to share, and the visuals will help us better understand his process.

Mark Rios
07-30-2006, 5:05 PM
Coudn't/shouldn't this thread be moved to the EZ forum?

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the original poster, this seems, to me, to be a wonderful experience and testimonail of a user of the EZ stuff, touting it's wonderful abilities and some subsequent posts that further the systems wonderful (I'm trying very hard not to type magical) attributes. I feel that this would be a wonderful addition to the EZ forum and it would encourage all those as yet non-users who have gone to that forum to get advice on the system. They might very well miss it with it being hidden over here in the general forum. It IS very well written and is an EXCEPTIONAL testamonial and therefore deserves a place of high status in it's appropriate forum.

Just a thought.

Allen Bookout
07-30-2006, 5:18 PM
What you're possibly unaware of is the fact that in the past, some threads here have devolved into little more than commercials for the EZ system,
I have been around here for a while, although not as long as a lot of members, and I had no idea what happens to these EZ systems threads either as I never look at them since I have very little use for this type of system at this time. The title threw me off. Now I am begining to understand. I was just sticking up for the thread starter as I felt that his post was legitimate. Maybe the thread was started in good faith or maybe not---who knows.

After seeing what is starting to happen here, commercialism, I guess that I have learned to keep my input out of areas where I do not really know what is going on.

Allen

Peter West
07-30-2006, 6:47 PM
I have just returned from a day with customers and must say I am surprised at the number of contributions to my post which was originally intended as I said earlier to share my experience.

Your post was so well written that it looked like a canned advertisement
My apologies if the way I write created the wrong impression.
As I mentioned previously I market software to the interior design community, a large number of whom are not the most literate of computer users (their words - not mine), and as I have spent many years in training I tend to be, perhaps, a bit too detailed when writing to ensure that readers fully understand the information I present to them. It certainly was not intended to be an 'infommercial'.
On reflecion my closing comment suggesting others would be as impressed by the system as I have been may have sounded to some that way, but it was not intended to be. I am impressed by many things I have seen - but I don't feel a need to rush out and buy everything that impresses me - only those things I have a need for - but I do enjoy the experience of discovery and accumulation of knowledge.

I feel that this would be a wonderful addition to the EZ forum
The reason I posted my topic here was that the heading of this forum suggested to me that this was the correct place to post a topic which would be (I thought) of general interest to the community and not just to EZ users or potential users.

This view appear to be substantiated by the number of posts from (I assume) non EZ users who have shown interest in pictures.

I have completed the timber preparation for the first major part of the project and the tooling has been stored for the time being until I get around to stage two in a couple of weeks.
However I will get out the tooling and the jig in the next couple of days and take some pictures to post here for those interested.

Vaughn McMillan
07-30-2006, 7:10 PM
...My apologies if the way I write created the wrong impression. As I mentioned previously I market software to the interior design community, a large number of whom are not the most literate of computer users (their words - not mine), and as I have spent many years in training I tend to be, perhaps, a bit too detailed when writing to ensure that readers fully understand the information I present to them. It certainly was not intended to be an 'infommercial'...
I can fully relate...I write user documentation for a software company that sells products to everyone from beginners to seasoned veteran IT managers. I'm seldom accused of being too brief. ;) :D

...The reason I posted my topic here was that the heading of this forum suggested to me that this was the correct place to post a topic which would be (I thought) of general interest to the community and not just to EZ users or potential users.

This view appear to be substantiated by the number of posts from (I assume) non EZ users who have shown interest in pictures...

FWIW, I think this post is appropriate for the General Forum. As I mentioned, the mere mention of EZ Smart raises some hackles, but not due to the product per se, moreso as the result of past skirmishes. We'll all get over it. :p

- Vaughn

Peter West
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Ok Guys,

As promised - some pictures.

Rather than further clutter this topic, I started a new thread for them here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=406937#post406937.

I hope those of you who showed interest will enjoy them.

Lee DeRaud
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
The reason I posted my topic here was that the heading of this forum suggested to me that this was the correct place to post a topic which would be (I thought) of general interest to the community and not just to EZ users or potential users.

This view appear to be substantiated by the number of posts from (I assume) non EZ users who have shown interest in pictures.I think you'll find that most SMC members (EZ users or not) are always ready to look at pictures of both "progress reports" and completed projects.

If, OTOH, it's just a demo/tutorial on the EZ, it probably belongs in the EZ forum: if we want that, we know where to find it.

It's all a question of the primary focus of the post.

Peter West
07-31-2006, 1:39 PM
You can judge for yourself when you look at the results in my other thread where I posted the pics of the process.

The techniques I used were only made possible because I had purchased the EZ system - which in my somewhat limited experience was only one of 2 systems I found (available here in the UK) that would make the process as easy and painless as it turned out to be.

The other system I came across that could be used in a similar (but not identical fashion) was obviously the Festool.

I chose the EZ for my own personal reasons (some of which I mention in an earlier posting in this thread), mostly to do with cost.

However it may be that, seeing the process, the more experienced of you guys may come up with alternative methods of producing the materials for the project in a quicker or easier way - I'd be interested if you do, 'cos my next project is to build a new home office in the garden, and I intend to use the same build structure - although it will not require such long logs as it is going to be only 13 ft x 13 ft.

The most important thing to me was I managed to fullfil a requirement to enable me to complete my project at the lowest possible outlay to me, but at the best possible quality. And I am still really excited that I managed to succeed and am over the moon at the results - but then who wouldn't be if you were able create a good quality finished result at a saving of over $2000 for very little extra effort, - and my excitement was the primary focus of my original post.

David Rose
07-31-2006, 3:14 PM
Lee,

I don't often go to the EZ forum. I like the fact that it was posted here. These saw/router guides are interesting to me.

This is, afterall, the General Woodworking and Power Tool forum. Isn't this the place to post if you get excited about a new tool? Or is this area suppose to be limited to projects? If the main purpose is to deal with projects, I've been guilty of doing the same thing. However, I am not a sales person, so I don't do it so eloquently. If WW FE had not occured, I don't think anyone would suspect the post.

Also, I think war sometimes helps display limitations and abilities of equipment. I read those posts for that reason.

David, who agrees with Ken on this one

I think you'll find that most SMC members (EZ users or not) are always ready to look at pictures of both "progress reports" and completed projects.

If, OTOH, it's just a demo/tutorial on the EZ, it probably belongs in the EZ forum: if we want that, we know where to find it.

Lee DeRaud
07-31-2006, 4:28 PM
Lee,

I don't often go to the EZ forum. I like the fact that it was posted here. These saw/router guides are interesting to me.

This is, afterall, the General Woodworking and Power Tool forum. Isn't this the place to post if you get excited about a new tool? Or is this area suppose to be limited to projects? If the main purpose is to deal with projects, I've been guilty of doing the same thing. However, I am not a sales person, so I don't do it so eloquently. If WW FE had not occured, I don't think anyone would suspect the post.

Also, I think war sometimes helps display limitations and abilities of equipment. I read those posts for that reason.

David, who agrees with Ken on this oneI don't think we're that far apart. Note that I did not express any opinion as to the primary focus of Peter's original post: I was providing my opinion (as guidance) as to what belongs where. (I think the title of the thread speaks for itself as to the focus of the content.)

And I agree that this is the most appropriate place to post "if you get excited about a new tool"...except when there's a better (or more appropriate) place. For example, I use a laser for woodworking. If I discover/invent/get excited about a new way to use it or a new accessory for it and the primary focus of the post is the method/accessory, I would post it in the laser forum, even though the post is certainly woodworking-related. Now, if the laser forum did not exist, I'd certainly not be shy about posting here...but it does exist, and I assume anyone interested in using lasers for woodworking will look for that kind of post there rather than here. How is the EZ any different?

John Miliunas
07-31-2006, 5:51 PM
I don't think we're that far apart. Note that I did not express any opinion as to the primary focus of Peter's original post: I was providing my opinion (as guidance) as to what belongs where. (I think the title of the thread speaks for itself as to the focus of the content.)

And I agree that this is the most appropriate place to post "if you get excited about a new tool"...except when there's a better (or more appropriate) place. For example, I use a laser for woodworking. If I discover/invent/get excited about a new way to use it or a new accessory for it and the primary focus of the post is the method/accessory, I would post it in the laser forum, even though the post is certainly woodworking-related. Now, if the laser forum did not exist, I'd certainly not be shy about posting here...but it does exist, and I assume anyone interested in using lasers for woodworking will look for that kind of post there rather than here. How is the EZ any different?

Lee, we've both been around these here SMC forums for quite some time now and, as you well know, I've never had occasion to disagree with you. :) Your posts are well thought out, informative and always courteous. However, on this one, I'm gonna' have to go with Peter, as well as David's last post. Yes, I well know your skills and talents with the laser and have even been the recipient of those super triangle templates from you, which I could not even think of reproducing so accurately w/o a laser. Now, while I DO visit most all the forums, including the laser forum, I may not have caught the method unless you had posted it on the Turner's Forum. :) But, my main point here is, Peter had a process to perform for which he had no other way of doing until he came across the EZ system. It's a process which many other woodworkers may appreciate knowing about. Yeah, I know it's a little hard to believe but, there are those members who rarely, if ever, visit any other forum outside the General/Pwr Tool forum over here! :eek: Having said that, it's quite reasonable to assume that many of those same folks would not find out about some CSGS if not for an informative post like Peter's. To be perfectly honest about it, when I first saw the post, my reaction was somewhat of a knee-jerk, too. I informed the forum's moderator about the possibility of moving it to the EZ forum. Instead, he explained to me, as well as posted on the thread, his reasons for leaving it where it was. After further reviewing the thread, I have to agree with him that it was indeed the right decision. :)

As for the comparison between "the primary focus" and your preference for where you post such items of interest in the laser field, well, let's face it folks: Not many of us have or can afford a laser setup. I, for one, truly envy those people who do have one! But, therein lies part of Peter's "primary focus": He found a system that was very affordable for him and probably many others. And unless people already knew about the CSGS, be it an EZ, Acme, Smith Bros. or Festool, they wouldn't know enough to go searching in that particular forum.

Just my most humble opinion but, on this one, let's just agree to disagree and let it run its course. Besides, it doesn't happen that often! :D :cool:

David Rose
07-31-2006, 7:35 PM
Isn't it always the "little things" that create division?

We aren't that far apart. And we both have valid reasons for our choices. I look to the "off topic" forum for things that are off topic.

David

I don't think we're that far apart. Note that I did not express any opinion as to the primary focus of Peter's original post: I was providing my opinion (as guidance) as to what belongs where. (I think the title of the thread speaks for itself as to the focus of the content.)

Jerry Olexa
08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Where are the pics??? Guess it didn't happen....

Allen Bookout
08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Here they are Jerry.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40420

Jerry Olexa
08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
OOOOps my mistake... Thanks allan, for fixing my oversight,,, Looks good too and great pics