PDA

View Full Version : Sealing the grain question

George Conklin
07-29-2006, 7:16 PM
There is a shopping center nearby that is going through a major renovation. The construction crew cut down all of the HUGE pine trees that were on the property and put up a sign "free wood"

I picked up two four ft. logs. Both about 12" in dia. Boy, does my back hurt! This morning we had some decent temps here, so I broke out the chainsaw and went at it!

I got probably 14 blanks and a large trash can FULL of shavings!

After all of that, here's the question. I know I need to seal the end grain, but do I also need to seal the long grain? Please tell me no. I just ran out of sealer.

It'll be interesting to see how pine turns.

Dario Octaviano
07-29-2006, 7:40 PM
I usually just seal the end grain. Depending on the wood and how you store it, the long side may still crack.

Sorry haven't played with pine yet so cannot give you any input there. I probably never will from what I heard about it. Besides, I am not good enough yet ;)

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 8:26 PM
Seal just the end grain George, and do it quick.

Been there and didn't do it - weren't pretty.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2006, 10:48 PM
George the neighbors Colorado Blue Spruce went down in a storm. I just sealed the end grain on it and so far it looks pretty good. I am going to let this stuff sit for a good long while as they tell me pine and spruce have a lot a resin sap that can get pretty sticky.

George Conklin
07-30-2006, 10:31 AM
George the neighbors Colorado Blue Spruce went down in a storm. I just sealed the end grain on it and so far it looks pretty good. I am going to let this stuff sit for a good long while as they tell me pine and spruce have a lot a resin sap that can get pretty sticky.

Roger that, Bernie. This was some of the stickiest stuff I've ever seen. My driveway is covered with sap from the shavings the chainsaw threw (sp).

Chris Barton
07-30-2006, 11:22 AM
While pine can be turned, in my opinion it's like kissing pigs, just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea... That sap will come out of the piece just like the water from wet hardwoods and its a PITA to get it out of your hair, off the lathe, off the walls, off your tools...