PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox W1741 & Electrical Needs

Jeffrey Schronce
07-29-2006, 3:34 PM
Just picked up above jointer this week. 3HP 220V motor. I have 100 A service with panel in my shop. I have a 50A 220 circuit that runs to the corner of the shop where my FIL welder is located. It has the 3 paddle style recepticle and the SF manual recommends the L6-20P.
So my question is, can I buy one of the plugs that fit the current recepticle, run a few feet of cord to a L6-20R and use the L6-20P? This would work well as the jointer is about 10 ft from the current location of the recepticle. Is there any problem with what I propose? I know the manual suggests 20A breaker and this is 50A breaker. The jointer should have its own protection internally right?

Larry Cooke
07-30-2006, 2:44 PM
So my question is, can I buy one of the plugs that fit the current recepticle, run a few feet of cord to a L6-20R and use the L6-20P?Why not just replace the existing cord on the jointer with one long enough to reach the existing outlet and plug directly into it. There's no need to have a "L6-20P" in the circuit. The jointer will run just fine off the 50 amp outlet.

This reply ought to fire up the "electrical police"...

Larry

Jeffrey Schronce
07-30-2006, 4:40 PM
Thanks Larry.
I think I am going to replace the cord with one that will reach to the existing outlet. That certainly makes more sense.

As to the "electrical police" this is a temporary set up as I am in the process of expanding the shop and will have a few 20A 220s put in along with dedicated circuit for DC.

Thanks
Jeff

Rob Russell
07-30-2006, 9:21 PM
Just picked up above jointer this week. 3HP 220V motor. I have 100 A service with panel in my shop. I have a 50A 220 circuit that runs to the corner of the shop where my FIL welder is located. It has the 3 paddle style recepticle and the SF manual recommends the L6-20P.
So my question is, can I buy one of the plugs that fit the current recepticle, run a few feet of cord to a L6-20R and use the L6-20P? This would work well as the jointer is about 10 ft from the current location of the recepticle. Is there any problem with what I propose? I know the manual suggests 20A breaker and this is 50A breaker. The jointer should have its own protection internally right?

Depending on the motor, it may or may not have overload protection built-in. I'd check it. If the jointer's motor doesn't have that protection, you do run the risk of drawing too much current if the jointer jams and doesn't have the 20-amp breaker to protect it.