PDA

View Full Version : Lake County Ohio flooding and John Hart

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2006, 3:15 PM
Anybody out there been in touch with John Hart lately. I know he's relocating east of Cleveland and I am hoping he's not being burdened by the flooding going on out that way.

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2006, 4:33 PM
I haven't heard Ken....but I'll keep an eye and ear open for any sign or word on John and his family.

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 4:54 PM
Ken - I've been studying on line photos of the flooding and identifying landmarks in them - mostly roads. I then looked at Google Earth and have concluded that the brunt of the flooding is/was a good 15 to 20 miles east of John's home - the one he's been living at all these years. His new home (which I don't think he's moved into yet) is 30 to 40 miles south of the flood area. While this is reassuring I still have my fingers crossed.

I've sent an email and he will hopefully respond.

EDIT: John's not the only creeker in that general area. Earl Reid, Robert Mickley, and Joe Tonich also live in the same general area; and I'm sure there are others too. Fingers are crossed for all of you guys.

Jim DeLaney
07-29-2006, 5:13 PM
Ken - ...John's not the only creeker in that general area. Earl Reid, Robert Mickley, and Joe Tonich also live in the same general area; and I'm sure there are others too. Fingers are crossed for all of you guys.

Can't speak for Earl or Joe, but I'm about 40 miles South of Lake County, and Robert Mickley is about 20 miles South of me. We didn't get anywhere near the amount of rain that the flooded area got. I had about 3.4" showing in my backyard rain gauge, but the flood area in Lake county got over 10" from those same storms.

I think Robert did have a small problem with some pesky beavers damming up a drainage stream and flooding the road near his house, but as far as I know, that's all.

Jason Roehl
07-29-2006, 5:20 PM
I saw Joe was one the Creek this morning, so perhaps he is OK. But I haven't heard anything concrete.

Joe Tonich
07-29-2006, 5:35 PM
I'm in Cuyahoga County, which didn't get NEAR the rain Lake county received. I don't know where John lives for sure, but if he's anywhere near the Chagrin River, he could have been in the flooding. The Chagrin crested 9' over flood stage, and has a pretty good sized flood plain. I'll try giving him a call and see if he can post.

Joe Tonich
07-29-2006, 5:39 PM
I left a message on John's machine. Hopefully he will call back or post.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2006, 5:54 PM
Thanks Joe!

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Hope all the creekers in this area are doing ok!

Corey

Earl Reid
07-29-2006, 10:42 PM
This last rain storm gave us 3.5 inches, no problems for us. we are about 600 ft from Lake Erie. They had about 8 inches 2 miles south of us. We seen several washed out rds and culverts, and a washed out bridge. John Hart is moving to Middlefield,35 miles SW of me. There was a lot of damage in Lake county 20 miles West.
Earl

Jim Becker
07-30-2006, 10:38 AM
John posted an update in the Turning Forum...

Robert Mickley
08-03-2006, 12:06 AM
I think Robert did have a small problem with some pesky beavers damming up a drainage stream and flooding the road near his house, but as far as I know, that's all.

Yeah well the beavers didn't build well enough. They got flushed down stream :D maybe they are someone elses problem now

while the road got flooded, not too deep about 8 inches. I drove through it.

Jim hows that Cherry?

Jim DeLaney
08-03-2006, 8:05 AM
...Jim hows that Cherry?

Haven't used any of it yet - been too hot in the shop. I have planed a couple of the boards, though, and it's beautiful stuff.

Planed a couple of the walnut boards, too. Also very nice stuff.

Next planned project is a Pennsylvania spice chest from the cherry. May also do a child's rocking chair for my new grand-niece. Might use the walnut for that, though.

Could use some 8/4 white oak - Got any?

Robert Mickley
08-03-2006, 9:15 PM
Could use some 8/4 white oak - Got any?
Wish I did, Theres a huge one at my brothers that took a lightning hit a month or so ago but I bet the snow is flying before we get a chance to cut it.

I may have to dig some of that cherry out and use it myself :D
If I ever get that wall unit done :rolleyes:

Glad the cherry is up to specs