PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for Style, Design or Finish?

Todd Burch
09-26-2003, 6:10 PM
I prepared this drawing for a client earlier this week. They weren't sure what type of doors they wanted (raised, bead or flat), so I drew them each way. The piece is somewhere between a buffet and hutch. It would be built-in in their family room. No electrical components - just storage and good looks (hopefully!)

The countertop would be 42" tall. The side cases 7½' tall and center case 8' tall. Also, the center case would be 34" wide, while the outers are 28" wide. I've tried to represent bead board backs and lighting. Shelves would be adjustable.

The small drawer boxes on the counter top would be for nic-nacs, each drawer stack being 11" tall. The lower cases would be 22" deep and the upper 10" deep.

The colors depicted are purely arbitrary. They are leaning towards this being painted white. (UGG...) I think it would look good in complementary woods. They have a light oak (red oak) floor, yellow walls (Home Depot "flowerbasket" yellow) and white trim.

Anyone have any comments on the design? Wood(s)? Architectural aspects?

Thanks, Todd.

Phil Phelps
09-26-2003, 6:57 PM
I like contrasting colors. I think a medium dark wall unit would look good. Could you use maple and stain it the desired color? I'm thinking of a wood with little grain and not too expensive. Maybe a butternut color. How yellow is the "yellow" anyway?

Todd Burch
09-26-2003, 10:44 PM
The yellow is pretty yellow. More yellow than a Post-It note. Maybe as yellow as the center of a daisy. But definately yellow - not golden.

Randy Schaefer
09-26-2003, 11:20 PM
With having the center unit taller, I would consider making the center unit deeper also. Wouldn't have to be alot, 3 or 4". The countertop could still be one piece just with a little wider center section. The deeper center section would add some more visual depth and a couple more shadow lines.

If you end up having to paint this(what a shame :rolleyes: ) I think I would go with flat panel doors. If you can sweet talk them into contrasting woods then definately go with the raised panel.

I like the double drawers on the bottom, and the nick knack drawers on top. All in all a good design, would be a blast to build even if you do have to paint it.

Randy

Jim Becker
09-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Todd, I'm partial to the design on the right...'cause that's what I tend to build, too. You have a lot of height to this design relative to width, at least in the illustration, so "too fancy" will not work in my mind for the details. I don't know that I'd use the bead board as shown in that version unless the details were widely spaced. If it's a painted piece, than the middle version would also look good, but I personally would not choose it for natural woods. I'm thinking cherry/maple as a combo, or perhaps a mid to dark hardwood with something nicely figured in the flat panels.

Todd Burch
09-27-2003, 6:48 AM
Randy, good point about the center unit being deeper - it would have to be deeper (aka stick out more) than the side units so as to be able to terminate the crown moulding of the side pieces. Duh. Thanks!

Ted Shrader
09-27-2003, 9:58 AM
Todd -

How is the house trimmed. You said there are red oak floors where this piece is going. Through the house (or at least the floor this will be on). Is the interior house trim painted? If so their suggestion to paint white may look pretty good. (Personally thinks it is a crime to paint nice wood - except maybe as an accent here or there.) If the house decorations would support it, contrasting wood on the door front and larger drawer fronts would be nice.

The nic-nac drawers in the bottom of the upper side appear to cutter the otherwise fine lines of the piece. If absolutely required, would not use any contrasting wood there - make them blend in.

Definitely go with a break front piece, changing depths 3"-4" as Randy said.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Ted

Bert Johansen
09-30-2003, 4:06 PM
Todd, as a built-in, and "listening" to the customer's preference, I would paint it to match their decor. In fact, I would consider making it out of poplar and save the customer a few dollars. Finally, I agree that flat door panels would be better in this circumstance.

Bert

Edit: I just saw the posting of the step-back cabinet, which is painted. I like the raised panel look of this unit, along with the fluted stiles and stepped molding. Just a thought.

BJ

Lee Schierer
09-30-2003, 5:00 PM
I would go with the raised panels, and either hardwood or painted if that is what the customer wants. In the case of painted, use poplar and maybe MDF. Jim Shaver built one very similar to this design out of cherry. He posted it on BP a few years ago. If you wrote him, I'm sure he would either post it again or send you a photo.