PDA

View Full Version : Just List an S.T.D.

Tyler Howell
07-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Just like an S.T.D. Spin Crack is the gift that keeps on giving.:eek: :D

With the creek all dried up I spent some time wondering in the Abyss.
I received some nice blanks from Dominic at 5 Barns. I watched very carefully as the "The Master" demoed his craft and also got many good tips from a number of the other party goers.
This week a box of blanks showed up in the mail from the MOA.
You recognize all these things better than I.
I started with Rob Sorby's DVD. Bill's #1 DVD is next and I found an entry level class at Rockler.

I don't think Frank got a jumbo thong to wrap his spin thing.

Again thanks to all.
You kindness and generosity is beyond belief.:o

Don Orr
07-29-2006, 11:41 AM
What are you waiting for? Stick a piece of wood in that spinner and give it a go! You'll never regret it;) . Almost as much fun as how you get an S.T.D. :eek: .

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Tyler, you have been truly stung :D

Even a chunk of 2x2 will work just fine, now hurry up and make some chips! :D

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Tyler ol' buddy......Throw a piece of wood on that lathe and turn me sumpin'.!!! ;) You've been a blessing to the Creek, you just happened to get Abysserated. I guess you hung around the turning bunch too long before it was decided to throw you into the vortex. :)

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey Ty!

That box contained some Australian Cypress, Dunnowood, and Bermuda Cedar from John Blanchard. The rest of it was just scraps from me to fill up the box. The cedar is very rare so deal with it wisely.

And Frank got a nearly identical box o' goodies too.

Now go spin something and make us proud.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2006, 2:57 PM
Ty you old FAA'er. When did you say you were going to retire to a life of turning.:eek: :p Got a lot of goodies there. Waiting for something to come off that spinny thing. Congrats.

john blanchard
07-29-2006, 3:03 PM
Very nice, i can see some walnut dowels that my father saved from a job, they are tops off balisters, i had about 100 of them, i made some pens with the bermuda cedar and australian cypress, they are nice, please post what you can make of them, that goes for frank too, why 2 sets of tools?

thanks
johnny

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 3:35 PM
John - Oops, forgot to mention the walnut, sorry.

The Sorby set are pretty good tools and should be saved for now. The other set was purchased in lieu of the cheapo Harbor Freight set y'all know about; but I couldn't find them anywhere. These were the same low low price and are for learning how to grind and wail away with while the spin crack sets up nice and solid in Tyler's thong. Frank got the same deal.

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 9:44 PM
OK Tyler, You showed us the goodies now lets see your bonker..:eek:

Just not while your wearing your thong...:D

Maybe I need to find a way to reword that..:o

Ernie Nyvall
07-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Okay Tyler, your lathe has to be out of the box for it to really work well.:D

Ernie

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
OK Tyler, You showed us the goodies now lets see your bonker..:eek:

Just not while your wearing your thong...:D

Maybe I need to find a way to reword that..:oGee, ya think? :p

Dunno about you, but I'm going to be very careful about reading threads with posts from Tyler in them from now on, especially if there are attachments. :eek:

Tom Sherman
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Ty take my word for it if you leave that spinny thing alone long enough it will come in the middle of the night and grab your ankle and drag you kicking and screaming to the shop to make something. Dive in man get your feet wet let's see a sample.