PDA

View Full Version : Looking for walnut N. AL S. Tenn

Jeff Horton
07-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Looking for walnut in the general area around Huntsville AL. I don't mind driving some. Wouldn't mind finding a good reasonably priced dealer or sawmill.

Larry Crim
07-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Jeff if memphis is not too far drop Scott Banbury a PM

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2006, 11:51 AM
4 hours one way to Memphis from Huntsville. I've traveled that way SEVERAL times. Walnut huh? Their used to be a wood dealer in Moontown, out towards where Ken Salisbury lives that I used to buy from. Don't know if the guy is still doing that or not. May try to call some of the local sawmills in the phone book.

Ernie Hobbs
07-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Jeff:

I get walnut from H&K sawmill in Harvest, AL. It is a small sawmill that usually has some kiln-dried walnut in the shed. I think the last price I paid was 1.50 a b.f. and it was good quality. The only problem I have is his inventory is limited to what trees have been cut recently and sometimes I have difficulty finding wide boards. But, if you call ahead or have some time to wait, the owner will go find a walnut log and cut it up for you- you just have to wait for the kiln drying. If you want the contact info, let me know. The sawmill is right across the street from the Limestone County Prison.

There are a couple more sources of walnut around, too that I'll be happy to get for you. H&K is just my favorite because it is such a good price.

By the way, where do you live? Your profile just says "kudzu patch".

Jeff Horton
07-30-2006, 9:41 AM
Ernie, your the second one too mention H&K sawmill. I have got to make a trip over there this coming week if I have a free day. This guys sounds like what I have I been looking for. Please do give me the contact info. People like him are hard to find.

If you have anymore supplies by all means let me know! I know there is a fellow in TN that keeps an add in the Swapper. I have not contacted him but somewhere I go the idea he specialized in figured woods. Good person to deal with just pricey.

Larry thanks for the tip about Memphis. Maybe I have found something closer. I wouldn't want to go that far unless I was buying a trailer load. But I would go that far for a good deal.

Dennis, I used to work in Moontown area some, as usual never heard of anything out there. Allways looking too. Maybe Ken can stop policing the forum long enough to talk wood and tell us if there is anyone out there. ;)

Ron Blaise
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Ernie:
I sent you a PM.

Ernie Hobbs
07-30-2006, 11:18 AM
H & K Sawmill, Inc.
Jim Kisner
home (256) 837-3633
cell (256) 682-6986

I haven't been there in a couple of months but, I intend to go buy some wood sometime in the not-too-distant future. I have a couple of projects that I need to finish first.

There's another guy named Harold Ashley here that I've bought some Maple from that is also very good but a little more expensive (still pretty good prices compared to most places). If I find his number, I'll pass that along. Ken Salisbury probably has it, since he's the one that gave it to me. He would be a great contact if you need something specific.

Ernie

Jeff Horton
08-04-2006, 5:09 PM
Ernie, thank for the tip about H&K. Just got back from there. Like you said, not much in wide board but I picked up all the best looking walnut I could find. Small operation but I am impressed. Will definitely do business with him again.