PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make wood stemmed wine glasses?

Bob Weisner
07-29-2006, 9:43 AM
Hi:

I once saw in one of the woodworking catalogs, a kit for making wood stemmed wine glasses. Anyone know where I can still get the wine glass making kits? Would there be a market for them?

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2006, 9:54 AM
Bob I think I have seen them either in Packard Woodworks or Craft USA.

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Yup, you can definitely get them at CSUSA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=goblet-glass

Corey

Don Orr
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Bob, the others have given good info so far. I have taken a little different approach. I get the glass part from the Dollar Store. Get wine glasses with a round stem (not faceted) and cut off the base and up the stem to where it is the narrowest. Turn a nice wood stem and drill a hole that will fit the glass and glue it in. Presto-wood stemmed wine glass. Having a little stem already on the bottom of the glass part also assures correct alignment. The glasses from the catalogs just have a kind of pointed base and you have to glue them very carefully to get them straight. I used E6000 glue and it held very nicely. I don't have any digital photos to prove this however. :(
Good luck, have fun, and show us what you come up with.

Larry Crim
07-29-2006, 11:52 AM
great idea don can you expand on the process of cutting the stem off like what to use and do you polish if after.
Larry

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-29-2006, 4:26 PM
Bob---

Why not make the entire glass out of wood? :)

Bill Grumbine
07-29-2006, 4:59 PM
Bob---

Why not make the entire glass out of wood? :)

Because then it would be a wood, not a glass! :p

Sorry Henry, I was out in the sun too long today.

Bill

Frank Fusco
07-29-2006, 6:05 PM
What Don does was my first thought on looking at the 'kits'. Ready made glasses would be much less expensive. A hot wire shoud snap that stem off quickly and cleanly. Great idea, my wife wants me to come up witn a new idea for a wedding gift. Adding captive rings should be easier also and could be made from a contrasting color wood.

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2006, 6:13 PM
Henry, if you make a goblet like that and someone actually wants to use it, alcholholic beverages will most likely break down what ever finish is used and compromise the wood and stain it as well. I think wooden goblets are cool, but not the most practical thing to use. For a real user, a wooden stem and glass top is a nice compromise.

Corey

Barbara Gill
07-29-2006, 8:15 PM
I have made about 48 of them. I bought a case of goblets from Aftosa. I am sorry I didn't get a little better quality glass. The ones I bought have a rolled rim and are a little squat. I also bought a set of crystal wine glasses at a junk store. I scored around the stems and poped them off. I used my Dremmel to smooth out the glass and then turned each stem to fit.

Don Orr
07-31-2006, 9:16 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to respond to this earlier. I did just what Ruth said-scored and snapped. Didn't even bother to smooth the cut end because it was hidden in the stem.

joe porter
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I've tried several brands of glue for bonding wine glasses into wood turned stems. Best glue I've found thus far is a LocTite product. It is called builder's epoxy, 5 minute. Its a two-part mix that bonds well to both glass and wood. I bought it at Home Depot.

Toney Robertson
02-15-2012, 6:21 PM
Do you mean like these

I agree with others and just buy some decent glasses and cut the stem off. You need to watch out for glasses that are not uniform around the base. The ones that I first bought that were already cut off were not uniform so it made it very difficult to run the wood up around the glass some. I use a dremel with a carbide wheel that is made for cutting tile IIRC. Just score and snap.

I use epoxy to glue in place. I first tried to use a glass adhesive and I had one fail or at least I hope there was only one. Since I went to epoxy I have had no problems and once tried to remove the glass and it came out in pieces with the stem never coming out.

Lee Koepke
02-15-2012, 8:54 PM
I am in the process of making my first one! I made the stem in two parts, the stem and the base .... and the wine glass is actually plastic, bought from a thrift store for $1. Thought I'd start with a plastic one first.

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
BINGO! Been looking for some gift ideas that was cheap and easy to make.
I am not a huge woodturner. Going to guess you need a chuck to be able to drill the hole for the base. If so, time to get that chuck I was asking about here the other day. (So much for cheap project)
Any other tips? Would love to see more photo's or maybe a video on the web??????

ken gibbs
02-16-2012, 1:42 AM
Corey,

I am in the process of making wine glasses out of walnut. I have used the glasses for drinking wine and the finish shows no sign of the finish breaking down. I have been using a minimum of eight coats of Rock Hard poly and have used 220 grit sandpaper between the first four coats and 0000 steel wool for the rest of the coats. I use a Grizzly chuck and drill out the drinking cavity with a Termite and then Forestner bits. I don't have pictures but they are beautiful. You can make wine glasses out of 2 1/2" stock and flutes out of 2" stock. Not dish washer safe and the finish has to cure at least a month before using them.

Robert Culver
02-16-2012, 9:12 AM
This is the ones I do. Its made from a glass goblet I cut the stem off. The stem and base is two pieces of 1 inch cocobolo they turn out pretty nice. I epoxy the head on with 1 min. loctite epoxy.if i can answer any questions feel free to shot me a email at emerger35@yahoo.com.

Dave Lehnert
02-22-2012, 9:57 PM
Anyone know of a video that shows the turning process. I found some wine glasses at the dollar store and ready to give it a try. Are they turned in one piece or two? Turned between centers or do I need a 4 jaw chuck?