PDA

View Full Version : Interested in pen turning... Where to start?

Brent Vander Weil
07-29-2006, 2:43 AM
I am taking an interest in the possibility of turing my own pens to engrave on my laser and sell... I have been a long time viewer and contributor over at Lasers & CNC, but this is my first visit to Turner's....

I like automation and fancy gadgets, any one have tips and product names to look at? Are there different levels of Mini Lathes and automation features?

What tools, attachments and other materials and products will I need?

Thanks for advising a newbie... looking forward to moving toward this new venture as funds allow.

Brent Vander Weil

Tom Hintz
07-29-2006, 3:10 AM
I have an overview on turning pens at the link below.
A nice thing about making pens is that you can do it with minimal "fancy" tools, or get all sorts of carried away if you like. Virtually any lathe will do and there are few tools needed to get started. However, if you have the tool disease, there can be lots of fun purchases in your future.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/trnpens.html

Vaughn McMillan
07-29-2006, 3:12 AM
Brent, I can relate my recent experience as a newbie. There are multiple routes to get to the point of turning pens...here's mine.

For a basic pen turning setup, you obviously need a lathe. I bought the Wilton 99177 mini lathe at Amazon for about $100. (Actually, $75 and a $25 gift card.) I've seen it on sale at Amazon for as low as about $70. Many folks here use a Jet mini lathe, which is a more substantial lathe, but it also costs comparatively more. (You can also do bigger work on the Jet.) There are several other mini-lathes that folks around here use, and they all get good results. If you really want whiz-bang, there are specialized pen making lathes like this one (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pmla.html). (I have no information about that one...I've only seen the pictures.)

Then, you need chisels and a way to sharpen them. For chisels, I bought the $35 set of HSS turning chisels from Harbor Freight. Not great, but not bad, and the price was decent for the quality of chisels. Plus, I can learn to sharpen on the cheap ones before investing in better ones. To sharpen, I bought a low-speed grinder from Woodcraft (about $80, as I recall), and a copy of the Wolverine sharpening jig from Penn State Industries for about $100. I highly recommend a sharpening jig. Many folks here use the Wolverine jig or a copy of it -- including some homemade models that get good results. The last piece of machinery (at least in my case) is a drill press. I already had one when I started making pens, but I'd hate to try making them without one. It can be done, I'm sure, but I'd sure prefer a drill press. Mine's a cheapie little Delta benchtop model that cost me about $100 a couple years ago.

Lastly, you need a pen mandrel, bushings matched with the pen kits you want to build (many kits have a unique bushing set), a good drill bit (also matched to the kit(s) you are building), a variety of sandpapers, some glue and one or more finishes. It's pretty easy to drop $100 on the first "stocking up" shopping trip, but after that, the wallet leak caused by woodturning will slow down just a little. ;) :) Until you decide you want to turn a bowl. :D

HTH -

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
07-29-2006, 3:39 AM
Welcome to the fun side!

Vaughn covered it well. You'll find there are plenty of kit styles to keep you interested. I suggest starting out with a bunch of slimline kits - they are the cheapest and good practice. Once you think you've got the hang of it, move up to larger sized kits. Cigar pens and larger look the best, to me, when engraved.

I'm really enjoying reducing nice wood into shavings on my Jet mini and plan to upgrade to a BIGGER lathe next year. Lots of threads on which lathe should I get so a quick search should keep you busy for hours! Enoy!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2006, 7:58 AM
Brent.......One word of caution..........turning is addictive! You might want to sell your laser as you probably won't being using it much if you start turning!:D

Dario Octaviano
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Try this link to Russ Fairfield http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html

Also try IAP http://www.penturners.org/forum/active.asp

It is very addicting...don't tell us you were not fairly warned!!!

BTW, if you have questions...ask away!!!

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Brent,
Welcome to the vortex. I can't add anything to what the otehrs have said except there are a lot of other things besides pens where you can marry you lazer to a lathe. Check out some of the work your fellow Lazerhead Lee DeRaud has posted here on the spinney forum.

Bob Noles
07-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I have an overview on turning pens at the link below.
A nice thing about making pens is that you can do it with minimal "fancy" tools, or get all sorts of carried away if you like. Virtually any lathe will do and there are few tools needed to get started. However, if you have the tool disease, there can be lots of fun purchases in your future.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/trnpens.html

Tom, What a great wriye up on pen turning. Thanks for the link.... I cannot believe that I have not run across it already. Very informative for the beginner.

Mike Jory
07-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Brent, as everyone says, "Welcome to the Vortex." I must admit my own weakness. Several years ago, When I orderd my lathe, a book by Dick Sing was included with a small box of plastic bags, funny looking wax bars, and small bottles, and a long thin rod for something?. I had no idea what any of this stuff was.
After turning & destroying some scrap wood, I took a beginners turning class at my local woodworking store from a respected local turner. I went home and tried some small bowls which weren't very good after the many tool catches. It was slow, gradual progress.
I looked at Dick Sing's book and thought, humm, I can try that. The photos and explanations were excellent. After I produced the few pens from the kit, I went nuts. I found sources of exotic woods and kits online and quickly found that I was spending money without any offeset. I absorbed the expense and still gave a lot of work away.

After an employee craft show at my work one Christmas, it helped offset the addiction. I get small orders once and a while.
I now keep about 30 pens in a small case, giving some as gifts to family & friends. But also as examples to what people can order.
Good Luck Brent,
"You've been warned" This stuff is really fun. (except on 100 degree days)
Mike

Jim Sample
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Brent

Welcome to SMC, neighbor, I live 10 miles north of Vermillion. I do not post much, just read and look at what the others post. We have a Siouxland wood turners here in SE SD that meets every other month to date, usually in Sioux Falls at Lincoln High School wood shop. You are sure welcome to come by and visit, get your "feet wet" on a lathe, see some work of our turners, etc. I am President of the club.

Again, welcome.

Jim Sample:)

Brent Vander Weil
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I am totally in tune with addiction... I am going to move on this at some point, seems like it is fairly economical compared to the laser project :)

My wife probably would have prefered I discover pen turning BEFORE laser, but what can I say.... I like to keep up with the boys and toys line everyone hears so much about !!!

Thanks for the info and advice everyone... I may have to make that trip to SF to a club meeting to see it all in person...

Take care everyone and looking forward to picking the brains over here in Turner's as much as I have in Lasers&CNC...

Corey Hallagan
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Welcome to SMC Brent. I am about 90 miles south of you down in Council Bluffs. I bought a PSI Midi lathe and love it and have been turning pens and small boxes etc. Love it! I am not ever going to have room for a huge lathe or anything like that. Some day I will have a nice Jet VS Mini... but for now, the PSI lathe and the 159.00 I gave for it is working just fine!

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Brent, I think you will find pen turning very rewarding on a personal level, and the fact that you have an engraver is all the more handy. My wife and I do a few pens once in a while and have had a few engraved locally. We actually looked into getting an engraver but weren't ready for the extra expense. I never get tired of the reaction from people when you tell them these are hand made, they seem to be amazed, great feeling.

Blake McCully
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
I like automation and fancy gadgets, any one have tips and product names to look at? Are there different levels of Mini Lathes and automation features?

What tools, attachments and other materials and products will I need?

Brent Vander Weil
Brent,
First, let me welcome you to the vortrex. From the above quote, it sounds like you are interested in a duplicator. If you check out Penn State Industries, they have some lathes and duplicators for turning pens. They also provide templates for differnt style pens.

I personally don't believe in duplicators, but that's only a personal opinion. Check them out and see what they offer. You might even want to send for a catalogue.

Have fun.

Jim Sample
07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Brent

Send me a PM and come up some day when it cools down a little. Just got back from Sunday morning breakfast, at 8:00AM it was 83 degrees out on my truck. Suposed to go over 100 + today, 112 in the Black Hills. We have not had any rain since before we went to Louisville in June for the AAW symposium.

We can get your feet wet turning pens any day at my shop. Have a lonesome Jet mini since I bought a Mustard Monster last Spring. Have a large assortment of woods and pen kits.

Jim Sample:)

Brent Vander Weil
07-31-2006, 1:39 AM
Jim-

I am afraid to try to drive to Sioux Falls this week in these temps... fear the tires will melt!!! LOL

I would love to take you up on your offer to turn pens with you... I think this will allow me to see and feel out what I will absolutly need to start as opposed to what looks cool, but may not be absolutly necessary for the process.

I say it again here as I have said it before many times over in Laser&CNC... SMC Forum has the best group of people for anyone with an interest.

Thank you Jim and everyone who has posted and (I hope) will continue to post for the newbie in Iowa. :-)