PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maloof museum pieces PICS!!!!

Michael Ballent
07-29-2006, 1:33 AM
So last week I went to San Diego and ran across a museum displaying his work, of course I had go in :) I uploaded most of them to my photo gallery online here is the link to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballent/sets/72157594180839161/

and here are a few pics for the police :D enjoy :)

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 1:52 AM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing. I have found that the imagination, design and craftsmanship of Sam Maloof to be something that all wood workers should aspire to.

Mark Singer
07-29-2006, 1:54 AM
Great exhibit! Michael thanks....was that the Oceanside Museum of Art?
They have shown his work in the past. There are some wonderful pieces in the exhibit!

Michael Ballent
07-29-2006, 2:00 AM
Great exhibit! Michael thanks....was that the Oceanside Museum of Art?
They have shown his work in the past. There are some wonderful pieces in the exhibit!

Mingei in Balboa Park. I wanted to show some different angles of his work like the rounding on the back of the rocker. I never knew he did that. There are a lot details in his work. I spent a good hour photographing in there with no flash and no tripods :)

Michael Ballent
07-29-2006, 2:01 AM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing. I have found that the imagination, design and craftsmanship of Sam Maloof to be something that all wood workers should aspire to.

Completely agree :) It really was something to see.

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 2:08 AM
Mike,
I wish every creeker could meet Sam and see him work. His passion for his craft is inspriational. I think about designs differnent then I did before, not afraid to change the design while it is in the works if the piece,needs it. I find myself looking at a piece differant then I did in the past before I would move it on to the next phase of work. I spend more time roughing then I used to. I spend more time finishing. What some folks miss about Sam work is that he is not afraid to try knew and differant things.
again thanks for sharing.

a simple example: recently LOML wanted a oak paper towel holder made from oak. The dowel to hold the towels would be fine as a simple dowel from the borg but I decided that the dowel should be from the same wood as the rest of the piece. I turned it on th lathe. No big deal but to me it was important since it was somethng I was making and I wanted everyting to be the same. In the past I wouldn't have given it another thought but now after seeing sam work it was important. When I made my Maloof inspired table and fastened the table to the pedistal I could have left the screw exposed or used off the shelf plugs. I choose to make the plugs out of ebony. Not that they were an obvious part of the piece but I wanted anyone who saw them to know the attention to detail that the piece deserved. This attention to detail is only a part of what I learned from Sam in that short workshop.

tod evans
07-29-2006, 8:09 AM
thanks michael! tod

JayStPeter
07-29-2006, 8:12 AM
I saw that exhibit about a month ago when I was out there. I think it is pretty much the same travelling exhibit that was here in DC a few years ago, but still worth a second look.
The bonus was the permanent stuff they had there. I can't remember all of it, but I think they had a bunch from Nakashima. The huge natural edge table is pretty spectacular.
I'm considering going back since I'll be out there quite a bit in the next couple months. Any thing else worth seeing (other than Rockler, which I've also seen)?

Jay

Roy Wall
07-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Michael-

Thanks for the tour! Looks like the new Digital SLR is performing well - excellent photographs!

Sam's work is amazing..........some brilliant stuff:eek: :)

Michael Ballent
07-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Michael-

Thanks for the tour! Looks like the new Digital SLR is performing well - excellent photographs!

Sam's work is amazing..........some brilliant stuff:eek: :)

Thanks Roy that is a great complement coming from you. :D I am completely loving the camera, what I can do with it is just incredible. The furniture shots were pretty tricky since I was not allowed to use a tripod nor a flash so it was brace, breath out, release the shutter :) Slowest shot was at 1/13th of a second f2.8.