PDA

View Full Version : Can I make a saw vise?

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I've got a few old handsaws around the shop and I'm researching what it will take to whip them back into shape and sharp saws once again. I have ZERO to set the teeth, sharpen teeth with or nuttin'. So yea, I'm starting from scratch. I'm guessing that a real saw vise can't be purchased any longer, so what can I do to make one?

I know I'm going to need files, file handles, saw tooth setting tool, and whatever else I'm lacking. One of the saws belonged to my great grandfather.

Advise, tips, pointers are all accepted and appreciated.

Ian Smith
07-29-2006, 2:15 AM
Hi Dennis,

Here is an article by Pete Taran and a thread started by Bob Smalser on the topic of saw sharpening.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=sawcare&right=/library/primer/sharp.html
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8198

The thread started by Bob Smalser shows pictures of a home made saw vice he uses. He actually calls it a filing horse. The article by Pete Taran also gives some pointers on making a saw vice.

Philip Duffy
07-29-2006, 4:27 AM
Dennis, Take two small boards and clamp them loosly in a standard vice. Stick the saw in between the boards and tighten. File to your hearts content. Phil

Mike Weaver
07-29-2006, 6:17 AM
Dennis,

Not to worry as saw vises can still be had from lots of antique tool dealers relatively inexpensively.

You could try any of the following searches:
St. James Bay Tool Co
Akbar and Jeff's Tool Hut (honestly, that's Tom Bruce's site - nice guy)
Sandy Moss
Patrick Leach
Olde Tool Shop (Tony Seo)

I've personally dealt with all these in the past and have been completely satisfied.

Or, as Phil suggested, use a couple of boards in your regular vise.

My saw vise is mounted on a scrap of 2x10 and I clamp that in my WW vise.

Hope that helps,
-Mike

James Mittlefehldt
07-29-2006, 7:58 AM
I have a Lee valley twin screw vise, in the end of my workbench, it has two 8/4 hard maple jaws, and is 27 inches wide, makes a good saw vise, among other things.

Jeff Horton
07-29-2006, 9:52 AM
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwsawvice.html

I saved and printed this out a while back. Looks like a good idea. You can move to anywhere in the shop. Make it your prefered height too.

Interesting web site too.

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Excellent info here guys!!!! Thank you so much for the info, links, tips, and pointers. This orta give me more to go on. Just gotta lot to learn. :rolleyes:

Bob Aliano
07-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Why bother when they can be found at most Flea Markets for as low as $10.00, that's where i got mine.

Richard Gillespie
07-29-2006, 5:36 PM
Here's the one I built two years ago. It works well for panel saws. A shorter metal one my father use to use works better for smaller back saws. I've tried a variety of saw sets that all seem to work well so I can't recommend one over the other. I purchased two or three from Ebay for less then $5.

The vise was built out of 5/4 and 6/4 Ash. The knobs were early lathe attempts that still work well with my arthritic hands. The vise can either be clamped to the table or mounted in my woodworking vise.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Zahid Naqvi
07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Dennis I have a vise and some sharpening files, the next time we meet I'll bring them along. And we do need to get together to finish those hand planes we started.

Dennis Peacock
07-30-2006, 7:13 AM
Dennis I have a vise and some sharpening files, the next time we meet I'll bring them along. And we do need to get together to finish those hand planes we started.

OK. You're ON!!!! I'm going to order me a hock blade and chip breaker. PM or email me at my home email if you want to ride the order.