PDA

View Full Version : need some compressor help please.

David Coburn
07-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I've been wanting to buy a compressor for a while and bought one this afternoon, an old Sears Paint Sprayer Model # 106.152040 for $50. Seems to run pretty well but when I bought it I didn't realize that it was a "paint sprayer".. I'm not sure what that means.. Is a "paint sprayer" the same thing as a compressor.. (It sure looks like a normal compressor). It is belt drive with a Leeson motor and a pretty good size horizontal tank. I looked on the Sears website and I find the model number. I can see the parts and the eploded dwg of the device but that's all the information I can find.. I would like to get a manual if possible so I can understand exactly what I can use this for..

Basically I want to know if I can use this just like a regular compressor and run various brad and finish nailers.. (as well as spray rig)

Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get a manual or some data on the machine like CFM, tank volume, pressure maximums, etc...

thanks,
david

tod evans
07-29-2006, 9:19 AM
david, i`d say sears is gonna be your best bet...02 tod

Matt Meiser
07-29-2006, 9:35 AM
From the exploded diagram, I'd say what you bought is virtually identical to the Sears compressor that my dad bought in the early 70's and gave to me about 6 years ago. It lasted through several cars being painted over the years and numerous other uses until it started pumping oil into the tank. I replaced it with a large Ingersoll Rand.

The only thing I wonder is that it might be set up to run at a lower pressure. From memory, it seems like spraying with a conventional gun only required about 40-50 PSI. According to the diagram, there's a pressure gauge on the manifold where the check valve and pressure switch are mounted. What does the gauge read when the tank is fully charged?

David Coburn
07-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Matt,

The guage reads up to 160psi.. but.... when I first looked at it before I bought it the pressure switch was setup to kick out at about 75psi.. Also, I noticed that the pressure switch was actually a square D pump switch which comes from the factory setup to run between 20 and 40 psi.. Somebody had reset it to kick out at 75psi.. I have since reset the pressue switch so it kicks out at about 90psi and restarts at about 65 psi..

Again, I'm thinking that this system was originally sold as a paint sprayer and that means it was meant to run at the lower pressures.. So my real question is "can I run this at 90psi safely"...

thanks for your feedback.

david

Joe Melton
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
David, if I tell you it is ok and it blows up at 90 psi and you lose a leg, are you gonna sue me?
What I mean is that you should ask the people who manufactured it or sold it as new that question.
Am I out to lunch here, guys?
Joe

tod evans
07-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Matt,

.. So my real question is "can I run this at 90psi safely"...

thanks for your feedback.

david

david, not mat but i`ll take a stab at your question....if the tank is in good shape given the use of square d controls and the leeson motor you should be fine using this unit up to 120 psi. check the pop off valve and make sure it can handle the pressure. if sears built this for low pressure high volume work they may have used a larger motor/smaller pump pulley combination so check full load amps when it`s getting close to pressure, if they`re in line with the motors ratings you`re good to go. if they`re high then change pulleys to slow the pump speed, you`ll loose a few cfm but gain motor and pump life in the process.02 tod

tod evans
07-29-2006, 11:21 AM
david, given joes post right before mine i`d like to stress my "if the tank is in good shape" comment...02 tod

David Coburn
07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Todd,

Thanks very much for your feedback... Now I'm gonna show my ignorance here and try to respond to your comments...

1) The tank looks pretty good
2) It has a Square D pressure swithch which I believe was originally setup from the factory to run between 20 & 40 psi. The previous owner had opened it up and reset it to run between 50 & 75psi. I have again opened it up and set it to run between 65 and 90psi. I'm not sure but my guess is that these Square D pressure switches were probably using the same pressure sensors but just having them setup differently. (but I don't know that for sure)
3) Definitely a Leeson 1 1/2 Hp motor (M6C34DB105... I think, but the plate is pretty beat up)
4) Also has a Norgren R06-221-NNKA non-relieving 5-100psig regulator without a guage.. (This is where the hose connects, not at the tip of the tank)
5) Has a 0-160psi guage connected to the manifold

Your comments are appreciated.

thanks,
david

David Coburn
07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
and just to set everyones' mind at rest.. I understand that anything that you say is your opinion on the subject having not even seen the compressor and I do not hold you responsible for my actions with regard to the compressor..

I do appreciate you giving your advice and thoughts on the matter.

thank you,
david coburn
7/29/06

tod evans
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
david, most of the older square d pressure switches i`ve seen will adjust to 120psi and greater without problems.......to be safe you need to install a popoff or safety valve, one that`ll blow and release pressure if the tank exceeds the limit of the device. most on todays smaller units are rated for 135psi. if your compressor doesn`t have one get one! they`re cheap and easy to install, just screw in a "t" at the tank, your line comming from one side, the pop off on the other.
be sure to check the amp draw like i stated earlier when cranking up the pressure to make sure you`re not overloading the motor, the pump will start getting oil blowby when it gets tired and is easily rerung if need be...02 tod

David Coburn
07-29-2006, 5:00 PM
Thanks again Tod.. The compressor does have a small unloader valver at the front of the tank, but I don't know what it is rated at.. I'll look into the amps at full pressure if I can find a iron ring current meter... (which I don't have)..

Other than that how would I make this measurement?

Oh and by the way the pump pulley is about 10" diameter and the motor pulley is roughly 2.5"... I'm not sure what the normal ratio is on these pulleys for compressors rather than paint sprayers but the big huskys down at the borg seemed to be roughly in line with this.. (I didn't measure them and I wasn't thinking about it at the time.. strictly from memory)

thanks,
david