PDA

View Full Version : Best bet for a 4-wheel toy?

Matt Meiser
07-28-2006, 11:21 PM
My wife has been increasingly making it clear that we need some sort of 4-wheel toy to take advantage of our property. We've talked about various options such as a golf cart (not much fun?, not very useful), a John Deere Gator (maybe a little fun, very useful), and a four wheeler (fun, useful with accessories). Despite the fact our property is very flat, I'm concerned about safety on the 4-wheeler. We have a 4 year old who will want rides and someday want to drive it by herself :eek:. My family never had any of these things growing up, so I have very limited experience with any of them.

Another idea my brother gave me is an old Honda Oddessey ATV, but they haven't been made for 20 years so that might be hard to find and expensive to maintain. He also suggested a dune buggy, but I think that's getting out of control.

This will be a long-term plan as I've made it clear I want to pay off my tractor first (we'll be done early next year), and build a lean-to to store my 3-point implements and loader so we can store the toy in the storage area behind my shop. (Plus I'll get additional lumber storage in the lean to. ;) )

Randy Meijer
07-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm?? 4 wheeler.........

How about two 18 speed mountain bikes ??

Bruce Volden
07-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Matt,4 wheelers, ATV, et al should not be considered toys. I have a liquid cooled Kawasaki I bought new 6-7 yrs ago, it is full time 4WD and very powerful, although not "fast". Top end might reach 35mph. We use it on the farm to haul stuff, pack snow, pull dead-fall, yadayada. We had a foreign exchange student from Germany several years back. Over there you cannot get a drivers license until you're 21?? so he thought he could master the 4 wheeler in the interim. He was 16-17 yrs old at the time and showing all the signs of youthful invincibilties, then he rolled this thing in the snow!! It rolled right over him (500+ lbs) without hurting him physically, but he learned alot about humility, deep bruising, full time 4WD (back end will not "slide"). Kinda funny looking back, but, not when it happened!! I believe MI gets a little snow and these things can push / pack it all day long. Just don't look at them as toys as someone will get hurt.Bruce

Robert Mickley
07-29-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking bigger tractor :D but my mind works in weird ways

oh oh wait wait
SKIDSTEER!! I told you i think in weird ways

Matt Meiser
07-29-2006, 9:21 AM
I'm thinking bigger tractor :D but my mind works in weird ways

oh oh wait wait
SKIDSTEER!! I told you i think in weird ways

I was thinking a backhoe like the one Jim Becker has, but she thinks that's only for me. :D

Joe Mioux
07-29-2006, 9:42 AM
Hi matt:

I have Yamaha Kodiak 4x4, I really like it. If I had my choice new, I would probably go Polaris.

4x4, are heavier and slower and more stable so they are a bit more safe than the other type.

The small kid type ATV's are unstable. I feel much better with the kids running a full size ATV.

My ideal ATV, is 4x4 with the ability to go to 2 wheel drive (not full time 4x4), liquid cooled, auto-trans, full foot board, the gear driven trans (not chain) 2 cycle v 4 cycle is sort of a toss up with me.

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 9:43 AM
How about one of these, Matt?

http://home.att.net/%7Esmiths8n/wg/toro1.jpg

Matt Meiser
07-29-2006, 9:59 AM
How about one of these, Matt?

http://home.att.net/%7Esmiths8n/wg/toro1.jpg

What is that?

Lee DeRaud
07-29-2006, 10:19 AM
The ultimate 4-wheel toy for you and the missus? How about a pair of Kawasaki ZX14's? :eek:

http://www.ridezx14.com/Main/index_nfl.html

Andy Hoyt
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I learned to drive on a big old John Deere, and when the old man thought I was responsible enough (hah!) he acquired an old Worthington Lawn Tractor as my official farm vehicle (something about chores?!?!?). No pics of that, but a quick google found this site. Explains all.

http://home.att.net/~jmsmith45/wg.htm (http://home.att.net/%7Ejmsmith45/wg.htm)

Ed Breen
07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Matt,
We've got a suzuki 300 4x4. It is very useful on our places (5 acres here and 50 acres 35 miles away) My 11 yr old grandaughter rides it with no problem. She has a smaller one (180) and the 5 yr. old has aq 110. There is a set screw on the throttle which regulates speed. FWIW I wanted to get a rhino or goat but I don't feel as safe. Just me I guess.
Ed:cool:

Jim Becker
07-29-2006, 11:22 AM
The gator or equivalent would be "more versatile", IMHO. (Kubota also makes a nice one if you like that color...) I suspect they are more stable, too, due to the wider stance. I personally don't like the traditional 4-wheelers, both for the noise and because they tend to attract "abuse", especially from younger drivers.

Frank Fusco
07-29-2006, 6:14 PM
ATVs can be very useful. I have one and enjoy but they must be used with respect. Like anything, ignore safety and you will get injured. The 'gator' style can be great around a farm/ranch or large property. Do your shopping and compare features and values. To me, local service is a major factor when buying some thing like this. My choice of brands is Polaris.

Ian Abraham
07-29-2006, 6:53 PM
Friend has one of these to get around her farm.

Kawasaki Mule
http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=168&tag=utility

Very good on the hills and in the mud (has a manual diff lock)
Much safer than a 4x4 bike, has seat belts and roll cage, hers has a roof and windscreen for a bit more comfort in the bad weather too.

I've driven a Gator too, but the Mule is a better handling machine.

They are designed to seat 2 people AND carry a decent load on the tray+ plus can tow a small trailer.

It looks a bit like a golf cart, but it's a proper off road machine :D

Cheers

Ian

Jim Young
07-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Matt, You might talk with Dave at the next meeting or the picnic. He has a four wheeler. May even be worth having your wife ride it to see if she is comfortable with something like that. I believe Dave even uses his to cut his grass.

Frank Fusco
07-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Another consideration, an ATV type vehicle is much more ruggedly built than a golf cart. It will give better service over a longer period of time.

Matt Meiser
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Kubota also makes a nice one if you like that color...

I looked into them. It seems that they are competing at the higher end: i.e. more features and a diesel. They look really nice, but have a price tag to go with the features.

Kawasaki Mule
http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=168&tag=utility

I hadn't seen the Mule. Most of the Japanese competitors are at a higher price point than the entry level "classic" Gator so I wasn't considering them. The Mule 610 4x4 is right in the same price range. I looked up the closest dealers--Cabelas actually sells them and is the closest dealer to me. There are a lot of accessories too. I noticed that their ROPS meets SAE standards for tractors, which means its more than just for looks.

How much off MSRP do ATVs/UTVs typically sell for? The local dealers only list MSRP on their web sites--no "sale" prices.

Matt Meiser
07-30-2006, 11:43 AM
http://home.att.net/~jmsmith45/wg.htm (http://home.att.net/%7Ejmsmith45/wg.htm)

This Ford 8N is more my style.

http://marvinbaumann.com/images/marv_typhoon_2.jpg

It is owned by a local guy and is powered by a turbine engine. Kristen was afraid of it though. Same guy has 8N's powered by a Chevy 350, Ford 351W, and Dodge 318. He has another with a stock power plant but a stack of different transmissions that give it 32 forward speeds. All look like they came from the factory that way.

http://marvinbaumann.com

Matt Meiser
07-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Another consideration, an ATV type vehicle is much more ruggedly built than a golf cart. It will give better service over a longer period of time.

I agree. We have some areas that get pretty swampy in the spring (and all summer this year.) I got the tractor and my truck stuck in one spot two different years. A golf cart would have no chance back there. I've even been told that the previous owner's daughter and her friends got two ATVs, a tractor, and a truck all stuck one spring trying to free the first ATV.

Robert Mickley
07-30-2006, 5:58 PM
Sounds to me like you need tracks not wheels.

Jim Becker
07-30-2006, 9:53 PM
Don't discount the value of diesel, Matt...initial cost can be higher, but service cost and longevity more than balance that out.

Joe Mioux
07-31-2006, 4:36 AM
I agree. We have some areas that get pretty swampy in the spring (and all summer this year.) I got the tractor and my truck stuck in one spot two different years. A golf cart would have no chance back there. I've even been told that the previous owner's daughter and her friends got two ATVs, a tractor, and a truck all stuck one spring trying to free the first ATV.

Hey Matt:

Add a winch to whatever you buy.;)

Joe

Matt Meiser
07-31-2006, 7:56 AM
Hey Matt:

Add a winch to whatever you buy.;)

Joe

Only problem is that there are no trees to tie off to. :D The mule does have a winch mounting location, and they might be offering a winch for $69 right now. I'm trying to convince LOML, but she's cool to the idea right now. Not sure if its really that she doesn't want to spend the money or if she really still wants a 4-wheeler.

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2006, 9:31 PM
I would get a Gator, but I like Deeres and went to school in Gainesville, so...

Matt Meiser
07-31-2006, 11:46 PM
We went to our county fair tonight. My wife's friend's parents own a golf cart dealership and just started carrying some UTV's which they had on display. For just under $5K, they have a 2WD UTV which has a lot going for it, including:
- Made in the USA
- Very nicely constructed with a tube steel frame and thick steel elsewhere.
- Simple--I could fabricate or buy almost any part off the shelf even if the manufacturer disappears.
- Honda (a customer of my employer) 11HP engine
- Dana (a customer of my employer) transaxle
- Dealer is a local small business and my wife has known the owners for probably 10 years.

He includes as standard the top, rear hitch, and a Rhino Liner in the bed.

http://www.bristers.com/images/600_CW-UTV_pics-Golf_Course-8-17-04_028cropped1.jpg

Roger Meeker
08-01-2006, 12:02 AM
It really depends on what exactly you're looking for. We've had ATV's for years...lots of fun but not necessarily that useful. Dad got a Kawasaki Mule 3 years ago...extremely useful on the farm but not that fun.

Talking to my buddy...he picked up one of those $1500 go-karts from Tractor Supply Company and loves it. He can get two people in it and tear around having a great time. Advantage: roll bar and seat belts for your 4-year-old and you. I've rolled ATV's before, and my 3-year old will not get one until he's much older...go-kart first.

I'd get the go-kart for the fun part and keep your tractor for the work (snow pushing, hay hauling, mowing, etc.)

Jim Bell
08-03-2006, 6:15 PM
What about a two person fun kart? They can be speed limited , have seat belts and roll bars. They can have electric start and lights for use at night. They can be purchased for $800.00-$2000.00 depending on accessories and speed options.
Jim

Matt Meiser
08-03-2006, 7:34 PM
Well, I have Ian Abraham to blame, but today I talked LOML into getting a mule. I sign the papers and pick it up tomorrow. I'll post pics of mine when I get it, but it looks just like the one below. In the end I decided that it provided the best mix between ATV and utility vehicle with a good price to boot. I got it for over 15% under list, which I'm told (by other than the dealer) is a good deal. The dealer of course is whining about me stealing it from them.

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_main/images/products/UTILITY/2622_800.jpg

Michael Cody
08-03-2006, 7:37 PM
Only thing I know that handles about any terrain and any job on the average farm... works better in pairs though ... A Morgan will beat a mule or gator any day and I've never met a women who didn't love horses!

On the other hand, my FIL who lives in Clare has a Mule (both gas and natural versions actually) and loves it.. he's got 40 arces..

Matt Meiser
08-03-2006, 8:13 PM
On the other hand, my FIL who lives in Clare has a Mule (both gas and natural versions actually) and loves it.. he's got 40 arces..

I'll be in your FIL's area next week. We are visiting a client in Beaverton. We had to stay in Clare when we were on site last year since that was the closest hotel. Good times, good times... :rolleyes:

Per Swenson
08-03-2006, 8:27 PM
No midlife crisis here.

This is my 2004 suzuki.

Best damn bag a nickles I ever spent.

Heres why, You take this baby out and everything that concerns you,

bills, unfinished projects, building inspectors, war, world peace, childrens

report cards, you daughters new boyfriend, just evaporates as you put your

complete focus on getting to point B from A.

Forget therapy.

Per

Joe Mioux
08-03-2006, 8:29 PM
No midlife crisis here.

This is my 2004 suzuki.

Best damn bag a nickles I ever spent.

Heres why, You take this baby out and everything that concerns you,

bills, unfinished projects, building inspectors, war, world peace, childrens

report cards, you daughters new boyfriend, just evaporates as you put your

complete focus on getting to point B from A.

Forget therapy.

Per

Yea! and Ditto!

Per Swenson
08-03-2006, 8:43 PM
I forgot to mention, all year round, and Ice fishing.

Betcha can't tell I am little passionate about these things.

I feel good letting you fellas know that I am not all sawdust,

money and crankiness.

Per

Joe Mioux
08-03-2006, 8:46 PM
Hey Per...

They are a lot of fun in the snow, especially pulling a sled.

Ian Abraham
08-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi Matt

OK.. I'll take the blame here, but I dont think you will be dissapointed with the machine.

We had a couple of Kawasaki KLF farm bikes over the years, and although for myself I'd probably prefer to ride one around, when you are talking wife and kids driving the Mule wins just on the safety aspect.

Anyway with the 4WD it's not afraid of a little mud, but if you do get it stuck.. take pictues so we can have laugh :D

Cheers

Ian

Matt Meiser
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, we got it late Friday night. I was supposed to pick it up Friday afternoon, but the dealer's hi-lo broke down and they couldn't get the crate on top off to get to the Mule we were supposed to get. Since LOML didn't care on color, and LOML jr wanted green, I told them to go ahead and prep a green one, which they delivered to my house. Saturday and Sunday we put about 3 hours on it. It is really fun to drive and I can see that it is going to prove quite useful too. I put the hitch on, then decided to modify it by welding on a receiver tube so that I can use my sprayer on the back (my dad made a frame to carry my sprayer that fits into a reciever hitch on my tractor's 3PH.)

Ours looks like this. We didn't get any good pictures because we tried to take them too late in the evening and they were blurry.

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_main/images/products/UTILITY/2620_800.jpg

Ken Garlock
08-07-2006, 1:38 PM
Way cool, Matt. Enjoy your new toy, but for sure we don't want to hear about you or a family member in the hospital because of a 'red neck moment.':eek:

Kent Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 1:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm?? 4 wheeler.........

How about two 18 speed mountain bikes ??

Bikes were my first thought. Gas cost = $0, fun, relatively safer, good healthy exercise, and you'll get to see some wildlife instead of scaring it off from a mile away.