PDA

View Full Version : New Cyclone DC Question

Doug Shepard
07-28-2006, 10:16 PM
A couple of months ago I promised Ed @ ClearVue that I wouldn't say anything about a new system he was working on and potentially recommending for my use pending some test results. CV got their test numbers back and based on those, decided to start selling the unit. It wont be officially on the market and on their website until next week, but I plan on ordering one tomorrow after making a final decision as to whether I need a RH or a LH system. I may be letting the cat out of the bag a bit, but since I plan on buying quick (before a price increase goes into effect on 8/1/06) I thought I'd take the pulse on this and see if anyone has any comments.
The system is essentially their standard system except instead of a 15" impeller, it's 16" and the system has a slightly smaller physical footprint. It will accept either 4" or 6" ducting and was pretty much designed for folks like me with tight space restrictions. The larger impeller is to allow the use of 4" ducting and still get a system that works. The CFM nbrs are 850 using 4" and 1100 using 6" pipe and apparently will suck your pants off at 20 paces.:D I think this may be the best system for my limited space, but wanted to see what the thoughts are on the 4" ducts.

Aaron Beaver
07-28-2006, 10:25 PM
If the price is going to go up on 8/1 does that mean you have to contact them personally to find out the sale price and what the unit includes? Just wondering since you say it wont be on there site until later.

Bob Marino
07-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Doug,

Are there any pics on their web-site? Cost?

Bob

Jamie Buxton
07-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Why not use 6" duct? You'd get the performance you're buying.

Doug Shepard
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Bob/Aaron
I'm pretty sure the unit will include the same stuff and price is going to be the same as their regular system, which is going to be hit by the 8/1/06 price increase. I know it uses the same filters as well. I think the new 16" Impeller/4" duct system is supposed to be on their website Monday but will already show the 8/1/06 price since it would have to be updated one day later otherwise. IIRC (I goofed and left my notes at work) I know that the intake chute is slightly shorter for a 21x22 footprint instead of the 21x34 shown on http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Specifications.htm. The cyclone chamber is shorter too, but I can't recall the size. If I recall from some of the first conversations I had with them, the whole unit will fit in a 84" high space. Don't quote me on any of these nbrs though - the real skinny should be on their site Monday. I'm not sure whether you'd be able to get one at the pre-increase price though. This just may be something he's making available to me since I put off purchasing their current system while he patiently waited for the test results. Dont know how I managed to keep my mouth shut this long, but in order to ask for comments here I had to spill the beans a bit.

Doug Shepard
07-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Why not use 6" duct? You'd get the performance you're buying.

Good question. Initially it looked like the only way for me to fit a unit in my space at all was up into the gashop rafters installed at an angle to save vertical space. That would have worked but introduced a fair number of other problems. I've since been able to free up a very small space in one corner but the ductwork still has to run in the rafters. The bend radius of the 6" duct forces a window to be blocked by duct until I can get the clearance up into the rafters, whereas the 4" will still clear the window. It's still going to be a tight fit with the 4" but it will work. It's the classic case of too much shop stuff squeezed into too little of a space.

Russ Massery
07-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Doug, I have a Clearvue also, As of right now I have 6'' trunk lines. With 4" drops to the machines. Have to say I'm rather amazed by the suction. I haven't had a chance to convert over the machine ports . I still feel the planer a 15" needs a 6" line to it. But I find the Clearvue moves a lot more airj then the Oneida I had before. BTW my Clearvue has 15" impeller. With S.P. loss the 6" would be a better way to go. Just to show you the suction you have with 6'' I had 25' foot tape measure laying on the floor when I was switching machines. It suck it off the floor along with the remote for the dust collector. I had cut the power to the unit at the breaker. They both ended in the dust bin. I laugh about it now but I wasn't then.................

Jamie Buxton
07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Doug --

Cyclone ducting almost always is round. However, HVAC guys routinely use ducts of other cross-section -- for instance rectangular. If you're squeezing your way past stuff, you might be able to get the equivalent of a 6" cross-section with rectangular duct.

One issue, however, might be that round duct more easily resists collapse from the (small) vacuum inside it. Clearly, one can build rectangular duct which will handle any vacuum you throw at it. I dunno whether common HVAC metal duct will do the job. A little experimentation might be useful before you buy a lot of sheet metal.

Doug Shepard
07-29-2006, 7:21 AM
Doug --

Cyclone ducting almost always is round. However, HVAC guys routinely use ducts of other cross-section -- for instance rectangular. If you're squeezing your way past stuff, you might be able to get the equivalent of a 6" cross-section with rectangular duct.

One issue, however, might be that round duct more easily resists collapse from the (small) vacuum inside it. Clearly, one can build rectangular duct which will handle any vacuum you throw at it. I dunno whether common HVAC metal duct will do the job. A little experimentation might be useful before you buy a lot of sheet metal.

Jamie - Thanks. That's a REAL good idea. I think I'm going look into that. I haven't bought any ducting yet. Thought it better to wait until after the cyclone was installed so I could better measure for what I need. I'll see what I can figure out using your suggestion.

Jim Becker
07-29-2006, 9:45 AM
If you really must consider alternative cross sections for part of your duct work, oval may be a better choice than rectangular from a resistance factor as well as eliminating "corners" for stuff to get stuck in.

Doug Shepard
07-29-2006, 10:25 AM
If you really must consider alternative cross sections for part of your duct work, oval may be a better choice than rectangular from a resistance factor as well as eliminating "corners" for stuff to get stuck in.

Another good point! Glad I asked about this stuff before ordering. I just placed my order with Ed @ CV and he agreed that this is the better way to go, so he's putting a 6" transition on it. If I still absolutely have to go with 4" before I can get up and over the rafters I'll be able to reduce it down before going vertical, but I should be able to work yours' and Jamie's suggestion into the picture.
I fessed up to Ed about letting the cat out of the bag here on his new system and he very good natured about it. It looks like mine will be the first unit of these sold so I'll keep y'all posted on the install and how it works - though I'm sure it'll be a while before I get everything up and running. Did I mention I work slow? Glaciers have been known to make their way to the sea before I get some things completed.