PDA

View Full Version : Overdue Introductions

George Bledsoe
09-26-2003, 1:12 PM
I guess I will finally make the leap after lurking for a while. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing what others folks are doing. I will try and be brief. I am in the IT field and have enjoyed woodworking since I made “The Spice Rack” in Jr. High. I usually make projects for myself mostly but have recently done some commission work. I also own a portable sawmill that I use to cut lumber. I recently cut a small amount of red cedar for a local tree guy. He offered to pay me but I refused so he said he would drop of a tree he had recently cut I forgot to ask what kind it was. He kept his word and dropped of the biggest walnut log I have ever cut. It was 30” wide and cut in two section 10’ and 8’. It was fantastic wood and I have 15 21” wide 9’6” pieces drying in my kiln from that log plus quite a few 16" 8' as well. I think I came out better then if I would have charged him to cut 125 bd feet of ERC. ;) The sawmill allows me to cut what I want to use for a particular project. I had been suffering from "buying overpriced woodidus" and this has cured me. I will continue to read the posts and continue to enjoy all of your work pictures. I enjoy seeing others photos so I will try and post a couple here as well. Thanks

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-26-2003, 1:23 PM
Welcome aboard. Nice score on the walnut. Were are you located in Iowa ? I've seen some small areas of that state.

Looking forward to hearing about the first projects with that wood.

Ken Salisbury
09-26-2003, 1:27 PM
George:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

It should be noted the Saw Mill Creek Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)require members to supply a real first and last name when registering. You can either e-mail me (ken@oldrebelworkshop.com) or Private Message me that information and I will have your registration updated accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Sweeney
09-26-2003, 1:38 PM
Hey George,
Thanks for posting those great pics. let's see hundreds of BF of prime walnut for about $60 worth of milling - I don't know if you got a good deal on that one - better luck next time ;)

I've really been looking into lumber mills and I think it's a great way to stock up on nice lumber for your projects - & probably make a few bucks on the side reselling the wood. Though it does look like a lot of work. It's not in the cards for me anytime in the near future but thanks for the pics.

Welcome aboard & don't be such a stranger. I'd especially like to see what you eventually make out of the Walnut.

Ted Shrader
09-26-2003, 1:47 PM
George -

Great to e-meet you! Glad you took a dip in the creek.

Nice looking stick of walnut. That quantity should keep you busy for a while.

Welcome,
Ted

Steve Clardy
09-26-2003, 3:45 PM
Good place to be, the Sawmill Creek.
What flavor mill do you have? Can't quite tell by the dark picture.
I had a LT-30 Woodmizer for ten years. Did a lot of custom sawing with it. I finally sold it to my brother-in-law after him pestering me about it sitting for the last two years by me not using it. Just decided I couldn't do it all. Maybe I'll get another one of these days when things slow down some. Steve

George Bledsoe
09-26-2003, 4:09 PM
I have a Norwood Lumbermate. It is a pretty good saw so far and I have added a few things to make sawing easier for me. I would have to say it is still a fair bit of work on any log over about 20". I have cut enough to probably last me forever but I just keep on cutting and stacking and cutting and stacking :D

Duane M Swensen
09-27-2003, 8:06 PM
I have a Norwood Lumbermate. It is a pretty good saw so far and I have added a few things to make sawing easier for me. I would have to say it is still a fair bit of work on any log over about 20". I have cut enough to probably last me forever but I just keep on cutting and stacking and cutting and stacking :D
George if you need to make more room for some new wood I would be glad to take move some out of your way. Looks like you are not to far from me. If I can help you out just let me know. :D

Duane M Swensen
09-27-2003, 8:07 PM
George if you need to make more room for some new wood I would be glad to move some of that old stuff out of your way. Looks like you are not to far from me. If I can help you out just let me know. :D Welcome and thanks for the pics.

Jim Baker
09-28-2003, 7:34 PM
Welcome to the Creek, George. It's great to see you here. That's some really nice looking Walnut.